Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

port565

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
I plan to outsource some app development, but I want the apps uploaded to my own account. The only problem is I have a PPC G5 running Leopard (10.5.8). Is there a way for the developer to send me the files necessary to upload the app to my account using the PPC mac? Is there a way to upload the app with a computer running an ineffable operating system? How dangerous would it be to ask someone else to upload the app on my behalf without deleting other apps?

You may have already inferred that I'm a newbie. I saw the recommendations to triple-check documentations and pay the $99 fee. I'm just wondering if I should invest so much time and money.

Thank you.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I plan to outsource some app development, but I want the apps uploaded to my own account. The only problem is I have a PPC G5 running Leopard (10.5.8). Is there a way for the developer to send me the files necessary to upload the app to my account using the PPC mac? Is there a way to upload the app with a computer running an ineffable operating system? How dangerous would it be to ask someone else to upload the app on my behalf without deleting other apps?

You may have already inferred that I'm a newbie. I saw the recommendations to triple-check documentations and pay the $99 fee. I'm just wondering if I should invest so much time and money.

Thank you.

I'm a newbie also. But i'm pretty sure that you have to submit the app to apple for approval before it's posted.

port565

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
I'm a newbie also. But i'm pretty sure that you have to submit the app to apple for approval before it's posted.

I can understand their intent at quality control, virus protection, technical security, etc. I guess my main question is whether I'm even able to submit the apps in the first place. I can't currently afford a newer Mac, so I'm just assessing my options.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I am pretty sure you need an intel based mac to upload. I always upload through xcode which needs intel based to run.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
You should be able to set up a few members in iTunes Connect (the tool you use to set up your apps on the app store). One of those members could be the person you are outsourcing to, and they should be able to upload the app. This would allow you to set up the app details (name, price, schedule, details, etc.) and then have the other person upload the binary. As long as they can create the app in XCode, they should be able to upload it from XCode

port565

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
That's interesting. I didn't know this option was available. I admit I wondered about outsourcing possibilities and weighed the risk of asking someone else to administer our account. Obviously, I wanted to maintain administrative authority. I'm assuming the uploader would have either a separate account or a sub-account with a separate password.

I'll probably go this route shortly. It sounds simple and effective. Thank you. All of you are very helpful.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
If you want to upload an app yourself, using your own developer account, and your Mac is too old, there are reportedly services where you can rent a user account on a newer Mac in the cloud, with the latest version of Xcode pre-installed, by the hour IIRC. Access via VNC or Remote Desktop. Then copy off your certificates and keys and clear the keychain when you're done using the remote Mac.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
That's interesting. I didn't know this option was available. I admit I wondered about outsourcing possibilities and weighed the risk of asking someone else to administer our account. Obviously, I wanted to maintain administrative authority. I'm assuming the uploader would have either a separate account or a sub-account with a separate password.

I'll probably go this route shortly. It sounds simple and effective. Thank you. All of you are very helpful.

The uploader would have a separate apple account (apple ID) and you would set them up as a certain role (technical i believe off the top of my head) within itunes connect

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.