Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
What would legendary Jobs think about Google Glass?

Would he try it? In secret at least? What kind of product idea would he come up in response? Would he be satisfied by a mere iWatch? Would he even consider making an Apple me-too Glass? Would he be amazed by the future-ness it inspires even though created by his most recent arch-nemesis?

Lots of maybes, lots of queries, but given that this person/product meeting can only live in the imaginary, it would be interesting to give it a go, and I do not mean in the "Steve Jobs would have never allowed that" sense.

All in all, what lines would he mouth.

Last edited:

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
People wearing nerd glasses like that need to be laughed at.

maybe, time will tell. Would Jobs laugh at it? Would it be because of his poisonous hate or because he firmly believed that a glass with constant information passing through is of no actual use?

What about voice control? Would he associate it with Siri? Would he go thermonuclear?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
People wearing nerd glasses like that need to be laughed at.

You say that now, but imagine when the technology becomes good enough to fit into a contact lens... Google could be sitting on a gold mine. It is certainly technology worth prolonged investment into.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Well, first off, here's my opinion...

None of us need Google Glass. It is going to be that $1,000 investment that people make, but then totally forget about it. Similar to what Tim Cook has said about tablets mostly sitting at the bottom of people's drawers. And sorta in the way that everyone has that first generation Wii, but it has now become simply the Netflix player in most households.

Glasses are meant to help you see better, sunglasses protect your eyes from UV radiation, and goggles protect you from getting junk in your eyes when you're working with wood and other stuff. Otherwise most of us have no desire to wear them, except as an accessory (but that's a small minority). I personally see them as an annoyance, and I can't stand the fact that I'm forced to take a test every year to get them renewed.

I would like to think that Steve wouldn't even be interested and also think of it as technology that isn't necessary. Because it isn't.

It's going to cause a lot of people to have accidents due to losing focus on what's in front of them, and it's going to be the focus of many lawsuits for many different reasons including that.

The same people who thought they needed a bluetooth headset are going to jump at this, and we all know how everyone feels about those in general.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
maybe, time will tell. Would Jobs laugh at it? Would it be because of his poisonous hate or because he firmly believed that a glass with constant information passing through is of no actual use?

What about voice control? Would he associate it with Siri? Would he go thermonuclear?

The voice control will make the wearer of Google Glasses look like a crazy talking to himself/herself. Talk about being in your own World.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
The voice control will make the wearer of Google Glasses look like a crazy talking to himself/herself. Talk about being in your own World.

We have that already since years with free speaker for mobile phones ... Talking people with no visible partner and no phone on the ears. That's why I hardly ever use Siri outside. It just (still) looks wired with no real benefit yet.

Once GG require gestures to control then it gets "interesting"; swipe over the eyes; pinch the air in front of your face ;) :rolleyes:

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
It's going to cause a lot of people to have accidents due to losing focus on what's in front of them, and it's going to be the focus of many lawsuits for many different reasons including that.

"If anything, Google Glass could get you killed. It's just not safe"

"At least Siri responds. What can a piece of glass say?"

We have that already since years with free speaker for mobile phones ... Talking people with no visible partner and no phone on the ears. That's why I hardly ever use Siri outside. It just (still) looks wired with no real benefit yet.

Once GG require gestures to control then it gets "interesting"; swipe over the eyes; pinch the air in front of your face ;) :rolleyes:

"I dropped LSD in college, but it's just not healthy as a lifetime habit. We own gestures; we filed patents"

----------

You say that now, but imagine when the technology becomes good enough to fit into a contact lens... Google could be sitting on a gold mine. It is certainly technology worth prolonged investment into.

"Maybe glass sounds cool, but wearing it, boy, that's a whole other story."

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
What would legendary Jobs think about Google Glass?

Would he try it? In secret at least? What kind of product idea would he come up in response? .

What do you mean in response? Apple hired the world famous wearable electronics guy years ago (Richard Duval 2010) and their patents since 2006 have shown that this type of device has been in the labs for years at apple. There is a reason why Samsung, Microsoft, etc are racing to the market with glass like and "iwatch" devices this year...and it isn't because glass is on the way.

Don't get me wrong, I like where Google is aiming, but I don't think they have the killer feature or a way to tie it to people intimately the way Apple launches new product categories.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
What do you mean in response? Apple hired the world famous wearable electronics guy years ago (Richard Duval 2010) and their patents since 2006 have shown that this type of device has been in the labs for years at apple. There is a reason why Samsung, Microsoft, etc are racing to the market with glass like and "iwatch" devices this year...and it isn't because glass is on the way.

Don't get me wrong, I like where Google is aiming, but I don't think they have the killer feature or a way to tie it to people intimately the way Apple launches new product categories.

I meant how would he describe it in a few words. Quote-like paradigms further up

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA

Attachments

• Marceau01.jpg
    Marceau01.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 335
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.