Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KaPOWitsCHRIS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
United Kingdom
You know how you can hold down on a key and it'd come up with variations of that letter with accents? Well, somehow that feature has been disabled on my Mac and now all that happens when I hold down, for example an E is this eeeeeeeeee until I let go. I've had a quick look around in my system preferences and I can't seem to find an option to enable/disable it so I'm stumped.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
To see how you keyboard is being used try to follow these steps"

1. Quit all running programs.

2. Navigate to System Preferences->Language & Text and put checkmarks in the boxes for 'Keyboard & Character Viewer' and then scroll down to your country's Flag until it shows in you Finder menu bar.

3. Click on you Flag and select 'Keyboard Assistant' and it will appear (you can drag it around and then see what your keyboard inputs actually are.

Lastly you can also 'Select Character Viewer' and select certain characters you want to add.

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
Option key + e will type an accent mark and highlight it yellow then type e and it will be é. Same with n ñ and others. As satcomer said, look at your keyboard character viewer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.