Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
All our games ship on DVD and all the popular Mac digital download stores like MacGamesStore and AppStore. We don't however support Steam at this time.

The DVD usually ships a few weeks after the download due to manufacturing and shipping overhead compared to download.

I really hope you guys will work out some arrangement with Steam in the future, the sooner the better. I really like Steam more than any other place to get my games.

----------

We can't go into details but essentially the licensing model Steam launched with was not feasible for Feral. This does not mean we won't be on Steam in the future it just means we are not on Steam right now.

The problem I have with that answer is seeing Aspyr do it and then wondering how it is if they could work something out that Feral can't, or is it won't?

Sometimes when things are left to the imagination, people tend to think up worse scenarios than whatever the real truth of the situation is, you know?

Anyway, I do hope you manage to work out something. I think you are probably missing out on a lot of sales by not being there.

I should add, the one time Aspyr went and skipped out on Steamplay with Black OPS and far worse, isolated the Mac multiplayer from the large PC multiplayer community, my response was to ignore the game. I'm sure I was not alone in that choice.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
...far worse, isolated the Mac multiplayer from the large PC multiplayer community, my response was to ignore the game. I'm sure I was not alone in that choice.

Sometimes a game engine is designed in such a way it cannot play Mac <-> PC unless the PC is rewritten with platform agnostic code. This usually means the Mac will not play against the PC as they will not rewrite the entire PC networking code to get it working with the Mac. Sad but sometimes true.

I don't know if that was the reason for this game as I don't work for Asypr but I am pretty sure if it was possible to get Mac <-> PC gameplay they would have done it!

gregorsamsa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
IAnyway, I do hope you manage to work out something. I think you are probably missing out on a lot of sales by not being there.

I should add, the one time Aspyr went and skipped out on Steamplay with Black OPS and far worse, isolated the Mac multiplayer from the large PC multiplayer community, my response was to ignore the game. I'm sure I was not alone in that choice.

Presumably some sales are lost for games not being available via Steam. However, if you read the reviews on Amazon for the PC versions of "Napoleon: Total War" & "Empire", you'll find that the vast majority of low-scoring 1 & 2 star ratings are not so much critical of the games, but rather that many people simply don't like Steam. Check them out.

I agree that Feral's games being available via Steam seems the way forward in the long-term, but I also hope DVD options continue to exist for a good few years yet.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I also hope DVD options continue to exist for a good few years yet.

No plans to kill off DVD right now, that said it is becoming a smaller and smaller amount of the overall sales. Most people buy downloadable copies.

Edwin

gregorsamsa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
No plans to kill off DVD right now, that said it is becoming a smaller and smaller amount of the overall sales. Most people buy downloadable copies.

Edwin

I can appreciate that as an increasing trend, Ed. However, I wonder how much that has to do with a simple lack of availability of the DVD versions &, hence, rising prices for a lot of the Mac platform?

When I look at sites like Amazon for the best Mac games in recent years, some of the availability is poor, but some prices are frankly shocking.

Take your excellent port of Rome: Total War. The DVD version is rarely available. The cheapest copy right now is £54.99! That's getting on for $87, at current currency exchange rates. For an older game, as good as it is, that's far too high.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rome-Total-...9RCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360594836&sr=8-1

I suspect more people are being forced to buy downloads, which of course plays right into the hands of companies like Apple &, soon enough, Microsoft (going by Windows 8 & speculations about Xbox 720).

Maybe in the years to come some gamers will increasingly turn to retro gaming. With plenty of older AAA titles out there for various platforms, it seems a viable alternative. :rolleyes:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
It's great news to see more games come to the mac platform, and I have confidence that feral will deliver yet another good port.
I already have the PC version, on steam, so it's doubtful I'm gonna get the mac version, unless I find it cheap on sale.

A bit off topic, but I've seen many feral titles now on Origin. Will this be the digital platform Feral is gonna focus on?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I can appreciate that as an increasing trend, Ed. However, I wonder how much that has to do with a simple lack of availability of the DVD versions &, hence, rising prices for a lot of the Mac platform?

When I look at sites like Amazon for the best Mac games in recent years, some of the availability is poor, but some prices are frankly shocking.

Take your excellent port of Rome: Total War. The DVD version is rarely available.

That's strange but Amazon are always a little weird with stock issues. :) However they always sell Feral games at our RRP or lower.

Have you ever thought of ordering direct from us? We always have all the games in stock and have free world wide shipping so all you pay is the $30 RRP.

As for people not finding the DVD's we find it was more down to the "if it is not on the shelf in the Apple Store it does not exist" syndrome. We still sell DVD's but we do find someone living in Australia, South Africa or miles away from a big city prefer the instant delivery of a download copy instead of waiting for a DVD to arrive in the post.

Kinda like the death of Blockbusters because they did not see Netflix coming. Instant access is a big draw :)

A bit off topic, but I've seen many feral titles now on Origin. Will this be the digital platform Feral is gonna focus on?

Not at all, we support as many online stores we can to give customers as much choice as possible, EA Origin is a new Mac store and we are happy to be one of their launch partners. This does not mean we will stop supporting all the other stores with our games, it just means you have one more option when buying Feral products.

Edwin

Last edited:

gregorsamsa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
That's strange but Amazon are always a little weird with stock issues. :) However they always sell Feral games at our RRP or lower.

Have you ever thought of ordering direct from us? We always have all the games in stock and have free world wide shipping so all you pay is the $30 RRP.

As for people not finding the DVD's we find it was more down to the "if it is not on the shelf in the Apple Store it does not exist" syndrome. We still sell DVD's but we do find someone living in Australia, South Africa or miles away from a big city prefer the instant delivery of a download copy instead of waiting for a DVD to arrive in the post.

Kinda like the death of Blockbusters because they did not see Netflix coming. Instant access is a big draw :)

Thanks! Good advice & I hope others struggling to find DVD versions take it on board & order directly from you guys. FWIW, I always buy Feral's games from Amazon soon after release anyway. :) At which point, I agree that the prices are usually very fair, generally selling for about £25-£26 or less. The linked example is an Amazon seller trying to cash in, not Amazon themselves.

But as you see from that Rome example, availability for the DVD versions, even on globally popular online sites like Amazon, is far from consistent. That doesn't just apply to Feral's games of course, but other Mac games too.

To me, it seems a situation that could be rectified without too much difficulty. It'd also stop some of these Amazon sellers from charging exorbitant prices. Cheers!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Thanks! Good advice & I hope others struggling to find DVD versions take it on board & order directly from you guys. FWIW, I always buy Feral's games from Amazon soon after release anyway. :) At which point, I agree that the prices are usually very fair, generally selling for about £25-£26 or less. The linked example is an Amazon seller trying to cash in, not Amazon themselves.

But as you see from that Rome example, availability for the DVD versions, even on globally popular online sites like Amazon, is far from consistent. That doesn't just apply to Feral's games of course, but other Mac games too.

To me, it seems a situation that could be rectified without too much difficulty. It'd also stop some of these Amazon sellers from charging exorbitant prices. Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback, it's not as simple as you think but we are always trying to make the experience better for all Feral gamers no matter how they decide to buy the game.

The Feral store is always the best choice of course ;)

Edwin

gregorsamsa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Thanks for the feedback, it's not as simple as you think but we are always trying to make the experience better for all Feral gamers no matter how they decide to buy the game.

The Feral store is always the best choice of course ;)

Edwin

You're welcome! I'm sure Feral is the best place for immediate availability of their games, so I hope more people access that direct way in future.

I also hope that after Napoleon:TW, Feral may also port both Shogun 2 & Medieval 2, the latter on your Legends label as with Rome. I won't mind too much waiting for the significantly larger Rome 2 (just released on PC) a little while longer after those two. ;)

Rileh

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
Beta Tester Application

Hey edddeduck,

How can I apply to beta test for Empire: Total War and Rome: Total War updates as well as the Napoleon: Total War Mac port?

Thanks,
Riley

Oudinot

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Birmingham, AL USA
Multiplayer

Will there be multiplayer in the Campaign Mode? If so, will it be other than "hot seat"?

I own Napoleon in the Windows version but quit playing because I had to deal with Windows. I bot Rome and played it for quite awhile and then bot Empire TW and played it but had a problem which I sent to y'all. Game quit after fighting a battle time after time.

The Napoleonic era is my favorite and I can't wait until it is published on the Mac. Don't like or need steam. :D

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
As this is the most recent thread for Total War games on Mac, just letting gamers know that "Empire: Total War" has been reduced by 50% on the Mac App Store until 24th April:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/empire-total-war-gold-edition/id523621533?mt=12

Rome Total War Gold is half price also.

The only concern I have with purchasing Empire: Total Wars on the app store is after reading some of the negative reviews on buying it through the app store. Some reviewers in the app store claimed that Feral told them that the app store has issues downloading files over 10Gb (Total wars is 12Gb). Is this a real issue and has it been addressed ?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012

The only concern I have with purchasing Empire: Total Wars on the app store is after reading some of the negative reviews on buying it through the app store. Some reviewers in the app store claimed that Feral told them that the app store has issues downloading files over 10Gb (Total wars is 12Gb). Is this a real issue and has it been addressed ?

I've had no problems downloading any game from the Mac App Store, including both of Feral's Total War games. So, I would not expect you to have any troubles either.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

Sometimes downloading large files from Mac AppStore can produce errors but all you have to do is restart the download to correct it.

Edwin

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Sometimes downloading large files from Mac AppStore can produce errors but all you have to do is restart the download to correct it.

Edwin

I've never had any troubles yet but that is good to know for future reference. Thanks.

Thanks too for the time you take to be present here on these forums. I enjoy reading your posts and appreciate the way you reach out to Feral customers here as well as your commentary on other Mac gaming related subjects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.