Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajorWebUser

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
Apple Sucks???

I find it increasingly difficult to understand the lack of tolerance for Apple.

Asclepio: “why apple always sucked on online services?”

Snowshiro: “ You'd think with over $100 billion in the bank they could afford
to hire someone who knows how to run an online service.”

You’ve never heard of iTunes? That free application that revolutionized the music industry?

Sure it sucks when something doesn’t work. Ask the guy who drives a $70,000+ car if he’s upset when something breaks. The Internet is a machine. It is going to break from time-to-time. That’s life.

I’m old enough to know what MTBF really means and experienced my share of drive failures. Users under the age of 35 have no real appreciation for how incredibly reliable electronics have become over the past two decades. Sure stuff is supposed to work 100% of the time. That’s the goal, but let’s cut the snotty and baseless remarks. We don’t know what the source of the problem is. It could be a squirrel that ate through a cable, or a cyber attack. If Mr. Smartypants Snowshiro is so smart, why isn't he working for Apple? Clearly he knows enough to have prevented the problem.

Go buy a Windows PC and see how many times a week you run into serious problems of all sorts. For those of you who live in an error free life, I'd love to know what brand of car you drive, television you watch, appliances you use, etc. If you can’t cope with this bump in the road, I certainly don’t want to be anywhere near you when real trouble strikes.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Welcome to the cloud.

What Apple has isn't a cloud in the traditional sense. It's inherently unreliable due to the way its designed.

(and down here in the UK)

This isnt a signin server issue as I can get into iTunes connect fine, and can log into the Mac App Store. But cant access the iTunes App Store, or get on Find My Friends or iCloud.com login. Looks like like an internal issue causing problems for the iTunes and iCloud servers dropping connection before they get to the authentication servers.

jonAppleSeed

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2013

You’ve never heard of iTunes? That free application that revolutionized the music industry?

Sure it sucks when something doesn’t work. Ask the guy who drives a $70,000+ car if he’s upset when something breaks. The Internet is a machine. It is going to break from time-to-time. That’s life.

I’m old enough to know what MTBF really means and experienced my share of drive failures. Users under the age of 35 have no real appreciation for how incredibly reliable electronics have become over the past two decades. Sure stuff is supposed to work 100% of the time. That’s the goal, but let’s cut the snotty and baseless remarks. We don’t know what the source of the problem is. It could be a squirrel that ate through a cable, or a cyber attack. If Mr. Smartypants Snowshiro is so smart, why isn't he working for Apple? Clearly he knows enough to have prevented the problem.

Go buy a Windows PC and see how many times a week you run into serious problems of all sorts. For those of you who live in an error free life, I'd love to know what brand of car you drive, television you watch, appliances you use, etc. If you can’t cope with this bump in the road, I certainly don’t want to be anywhere near you when real trouble strikes.

You must be old enough to know what redundancy means?

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Apple is the worst company to be with at this point. They were known for computers not cloud. Good thing I didn't purchase additional space for cloud.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Game Center too?

I've been trying to set up some test accounts in Game Center this afternoon for an app I'm developing. Keep seeing a message saying that the ID I'm trying to set up already exists when I know full well it doesn't.

Spent over an hour reading dev docs trying to see if the Sandbox had changed but suspect I've been wasting my time and it's broken at the moment. Hey ho... Another wasted afternoon. :rolleyes:

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
.mac sucked.
mobileme sucked
icloud isn't much of an improvement

You're kidding, right? I've had all three of those services for my Macs and iOS devices. iCloud is a HUGE improvement over MobileMe. It's definitely not perfect, but you're absolutely being ridiculous to say iCloud isn't much of an improvement.

MacRumors new slogan: "Where only polarizing comments get upvoted and everybody misses the downvote."

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Seems like plain old incompetence to me. This is a regular occurrence so clearly something is not right.

It could also be something out of their hands like wind storms or regional power issues where the farm is located. Heck some nefarious Chinese hackers could be trying to bring down the system (and perhaps have been trying for the last 3 weeks) to purposefully make Apple look like crap right before today's earnings etc. goes with those negative comment campaigns Samsung allegedly hired folks to do for them.

Who really knows at this point.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Last I checked, iTunes was a shopfront for the iTunes music/video store. So whilst the App may be free, its no different to saying 'isnt it cool that they let us park in the supermarket car park without having to buy anything'.

Plus iTunes is a bloated mess, even with its 'enhancement' last year. People use things like Spotify these days - works out a lot cheaper if you like to listen to new music.

Completely agree. Having been in the server industry myself I'm fully aware that everyone WILL have outages - they cant be avoided. However you have to admit that Apple has been having a hell of a lot of them since the launch of iCloud, we get at least one major outage every quarter. Thats not normal. The issue they have is that they have crippled the platform by requiring it to be based only in two physical locations, both in the same country - thats not how a global cloud works. They need datacenters in Europe, Asia, etc to take the load.

We don’t know what the source of the problem is. It could be a squirrel that ate through a cable, or a cyber attack.

Correct, we dont. However again, its happening way too often. If its planned work, then thats fine, but you notify people. Apple's "shh dont tell anyone we have an issue" policy is pure crap when it comes to stuff people rely on. They give no notice of issues, and only actually update the status page (manually - its NOT automatic) if an outage gets enough coverage around the web.

Go buy a Windows PC and see how many times a week you run into serious problems of all sorts.

Not sure what the point of that would be given that Windows is generally a pile of crud...and has nothing to do with an iCloud outage.

If you can’t cope with this bump in the road, I certainly don’t want to be anywhere near you when real trouble strikes.
If people have any sense at all, they wont have anything important on iCloud, even as an email address, you'd be crazy to use it. The same goes for all the free services out there though really. I'm not personally affected (altho it is a bit annoying I cant get into Find my Friends, but I'll survive) as I avoid Apple's online services at all cost, for obvious reasons. I cant however avoid using things like iTunes and iTunes connect as an app developer.

Last edited:

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Typical Apple. They can't do anything right anymore. You think Steve would have allowed this? He would have flown in his Starck-designed private jet right into the clouds and flipped whatever switch needed flipping to fix this. Hey, Apple, why don't you stop pretending you know how to do anything anymore and make a new Mac Pro? Huh? Put down the iToys and start making computers that I won't buy and will likely criticize as soon as they're announced. I mean, I have an iPhone, an iPad, an iPod and a Mac, but I am sick of Apple and I am this close to making threats to switch to Android, threats that I have no intention of actually keeping. I will continue to buy everything you make and whining incessantly about it because I have no life.

:rolleyes:

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Blaa, blaa. Name a service that doesn't occasionally falter or a piece of equipment that doesn't break.

Half of you wouldn't even have known about it until you read it on here and even less will be affected. All working fine on my devices.

Take a chill-pill folks or even better, get a life...

Based on your apologetic response, I think you meant "Baa, baa..."

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey

iTunes is a big steaming pile of crap

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Google is getting better at hardware faster than Apple is getting better at services.

If Apple means to compete against Google, they HAVE to fix this. Absolutely unacceptable.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
These problems have been occurring more often in recent months

Have they? Or has there been nothing else to write about since Apple is reconfiguring their release schedules so its getting more press.

And if it is, can we say for fact that it is an issue with the systems, the software etc and not an outside issue like the connections to the servers having failures or hackers trying to DoS the systems cause they know it will get press and make Apple look bad.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Apple is the worst company to be with at this point. They were known for computers not cloud. Good thing I didn't purchase additional space for cloud.

How did Joni Mitchell know all these problems at the time?

Bows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way

But now they only block the sun
They rain and snow on everyone
So many things I would have done
But clouds got in my way

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all

Moons and Junes and Ferris wheels
The dizzy dancing way you feel
As every fairy tale comes real
I've looked at love that way

But now it's just another show
You leave 'em laughing when you go
And if you care, don't let them know
Don't give yourself away

I've looked at love from both sides now
From give and take, and still somehow
It's love's illusions I recall
I really don't know love at all

Tears and fears and feeling proud
To say "I love you" right out loud
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds
I've looked at life that way

Oh but now old friends are acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost but something's gained
In living every day

I've looked at life from both sides now
From WIN and LOSE and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all

I've looked at life from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
Have they? Or has there been nothing else to write about since Apple is reconfiguring their release schedules so its getting more press.

And if it is, can we say for fact that it is an issue with the systems, the software etc and not an outside issue like the connections to the servers having failures or hackers trying to DoS the systems cause they know it will get press and make Apple look bad.

OK I think that part was a bit of a stretch...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.