Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Is what I want to do here possible or outrageously expensive?

I want to type a script, select it, and have the Mac's internal TTS speak it, and be able to save that output to a file I can then edit in a waveform editor like Audacity or Garageband.

Am I crazy? Is it easier to just let the Mac record the voice just like it would mine via microphone?

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Sounds easy to type, probably not so easy to do.

Okay. I'm assuming you haven't had a look or you've never used Automator before.

It isn't that easy to do.

I'm afraid you'll have to drag in a whole extra step before that 'Text to Audio File' step that selects your text file.

Then you have to click run.

I remember doing this for text I had to listen to in prep for exams in high school, over seven years ago.

cheekypaul

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2005

I want to type a script, select it, and have the Mac's internal TTS speak it, and be able to save that output to a file I can then edit in a waveform editor like Audacity or Garageband.

try http://toauapp.com/ it is an app using the terminal line thats already been mentioned
you can adjust the speed of the voices in system preferences
you can also download some other voices from there too
you might find some unintelligible passages depending on the script, and how many tricky words there are

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

Am I crazy? Is it easier to just let the Mac record the voice just like it would mine via microphone?

Try Soundflower?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.