Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacob1212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
Just got one of these and it is beautiful. The wood (it is REAL WOOD) is only about half a millimeter thick and the company says will last longer than my phone (as with my experience, I would agree as the quality is quite impressive). Here is a pic from their site
iphone-5-wood-cover-bamboo-padauk-twotone-back-apple-keyboard_1024x1024.jpg

I will take some photos of mine tomorrow and post but really it looks almost just like this except for the wood grain pattern. They also offer a few other wood options if you want.

It smells like wood and the company said it is rubbed with a unique combination of tung oil and linseed oil. My favorite part is it is made locally and that is how I found out about them.

I will post an update with a longer term review (i have only had it for a few days now).

My only complaint is I wish they offered something to protect the sides of the iPhone 5 too (i got the front and the back). But i don't drop my iPhone all that often so Im not tooooo worried about it.

The company is Woodly

let me know what you guys think? has anyone tried their iPad mini covers? That might be my next purchase.

Last edited:

dietcokemac

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
Bama
This looks right up my alley can you post more pictures of your actual wood cover?

I hope they expand there wood iPod covers lineup also, they don't have the 5th gen ipod touch yet. But their walnut ipad mini cover looks sweet. and for a made in America product the price is great too.

SoLongAndroid

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
Fyi on skins, most manufacturers are being told by apple not to have the logo cut out. I ordered a skin from Sticker boy and the day after I received it they posted that they were no longer allowed to have the cutout. So this will probably happen with them and any other place sooner rather than later.

Jacob1212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
Thanks for the heads up SoLongAndroid. But just to be clear they do use an adhesive to attach but it is made of real wood! I don't know how they do it either maybe you are right and Apple will ask them to stop soon. Guess that means I might want to order a few others before then.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
I think it looks really great. I have zagg on the front and back of my phone. I wonder how well the adhesive would stick to that?

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
wont the walnut wood get these scratches on the edges after coupla months of use? that'd look soooo disgusting.

Yup it absolutely will, not only that but chip and splinter too. Rocked the beautiful Trucket skins for while because I love the real natural organic material waaaay more than anything else on the market. However at a great trade off. After say a good couple of months that skin will begin to look like an old beat up highschool wooden chair. Real wood beautiful as it is, its not practical for mobile devices. Wood is soft and will scratch easily hence revealing the raw wood underneath the nice stain which will make the skin look horrid and unattractive. Hey but at least you can always refinish it.:p

I'm done with'em

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
I'm sticking with my TwigCase ( twigcase.com ) for total protection and a similar look, but these are interesting options.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Yup it absolutely will, not only that but chip and splinter too. Rocked the beautiful Trucket skins for while because I love the real natural organic material waaaay more than anything else on the market. However at a great trade off. After say a good couple of months that skin will begin to look like an old beat up highschool wooden chair. Real wood beautiful as it is, its not practical for mobile devices. Wood is soft and will scratch easily hence revealing the raw wood underneath the nice stain which will make the skin look horrid and unattractive. Hey but at least you can always refinish it.:p

I'm done with'em

My red trunket is holding up like a champ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.