Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Hello all,

I'm 27 and have recently decided I need to start paying attention to the news, no matter how depressing it can be, because I work in real estate and current events, etc. are always coming up, and I'm always like "Oh, I have no idea what you're talking about.", and then I look like an uneducated idiot.

So, I would like to know where people get their news, because I am wondering what the best option is. I live in Florida, but obviously want world news as well. I am aware of the major American and British news agencies, but I don't know if there are alternative news sources that might be better.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

steiney

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
The Boston Globe
NPR
WBUR (local public radio station)
BBC world news
Local TV news for weather, traffic, breaking news,and Red Sox highlights (assuming there are any!).

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
My homepage is set to Google News and I also use the app 'Circa', which feeds the top news - straight to the point.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
The Boston Globe
NPR
WBUR (local public radio station)
BBC world news
Local TV news for weather, traffic, and Red Sox highlights (assuming there are any!).

Thanks. I like NPR for the stories and talk while riding in the car but had never considered them for news. I guess I didn't know they offered news. I like BBC because my impression of them is that they are very impartial.

I use the app 'Circa', which feeds the top news and is straight to the point.

Interesting. I'll check it out.

We are weird in Portland.

Every morning a guy comes to the door and sings me the daily headlines.
Quite nice to go with my morning expresso !!

:D

Hah! I should just move to Portland then.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I get news several different ways.

I use Flipboard (iOS app) to aggregate many different types of news from many different outlets.

I also scour websites like CNN, Fox News, Drudge Report, Google News, ABC News, Debkafile, US Naval Institute, Marine Corps Times and Navy Times. Also NPR, BBC World News and Michigan Radio (iOS)

I also follow some tech news sites on Twitter.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
I get news several different ways.

I use Flipboard (iOS app) to aggregate many different types of news from many different outlets.

I also scour websites like, CNN, Fox News, Drudge Report, Google News, ABC News, Debkafile, US Naval Institute, Marine Corps Times and Navy Times. Also NPR, BBC World News and Michigan Radio (iOS)

I also follow some tech news sites on Twitter.

I'll have to check out Flipboard. I'm not so crazy about the big American outlets. They all seem like they have their own slant on things. What American outlet is the least biased, in your opinion?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What American outlet is the least biased, in your opinion?

haha, none of them. I view all news very skeptically and assume that everything I read or hear is biased one way or another. I don't feel that I've found any news agency to be truly objective in their journalism. I almost always find the writers opinions in a story that should really be more factual based only.

But I would say check out some aggregators like Drudge Report, Google News, Flipboard and whatnot.

Well, I take that back in part. Some of the military websites I view stick to facts and leave opinions out much of the time. But they're only reporting military stuff and not regular news.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
haha, none of them. I view all news very skeptically and assume that everything I read or hear is biased one way or another. I don't feel that I've found any news agency to be truly objective in their journalism. I almost always find the writers opinions in a story that should really be more factual based only.

But I would say check out some aggregators like Drudge Report, Google News, Flipboard and whatnot.

Interesting. I strongly feel that Fox News is very right wing. I definitely am skeptical of most everything I hear, but for something like news, I really want a source I can it from with feeling like I have to listen with a filter. I really feel like BBC is pretty unbiased, but what do I know?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Agree...they all lean one way or another.

I think the only thing you can do, as SBG suggested, is to approach with a bit of skepticism and go to as many different news sources as you can stand.;) :D

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009

I think the only thing you can do, as SBG suggested, is to approach with a bit of skepticism and go to as many different news sources as you can stand.;) :D

Haha, yeah I'm really looking for a solution that is an easy, one stop type of thing for all the news. I think I'll check out the news aggregators.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
To add, I rarely watch news on television. I get 99% of my news via the Internet because I usually cannot stand listening to the anchors report the news anymore. Not only do they let their bias show through, their tone and inflections also drive me crazy even when they're trying to hide their bias. But body language always gives them away.

Don't get me wrong, each of us is bias one way or another on issues, but I think (I thought) the news people were supposed to be objective, not subjective when reporting a story.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

That's actually where I get my news. We really done have singing news guys. Although that would be cool.

Mostly NBC and huff report. I like huffington because they are actually a news aggregator and don't have real reporters.

Television news is a place also.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
To add, I rarely watch news on television. I get 99% of my news via the Internet because I usually cannot stand listening to the anchors report the news anymore. Not only do they let their bias show through, their tone and inflections also drive me crazy even when they're trying to hide their bias. But body language always gives them away.

Don't get me wrong, each of us is bias one way or another on issues, but I think (I thought) the news people were supposed to be objective, not subjective.

I'm with you on the no TV news thing. I haven't had a TV subscription for 7 years now. I love thinking about the money I've saved.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Don't get me wrong, each of us is bias one way or another on issues, but I think (I thought) the news people were supposed to be objective, not subjective when reporting a story.

That approach (not always successful, but closer) went out with Ed Morrow, Walter Cronkite, and Huntley/Brinkely Report.:D

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That approach (not always successful, but closer) went out with Ed Morrow, Walter Cronkite, and Huntley/Brinkely Report.:D

They were a little before my time. :eek:

A little tip on reading news on the Internet that I read once somewhere, is that I normally only read the beginning and ending of an article. Many times, the middle of an article is superfluous filler garbage. If after I do that and am looking for more, will I skim the rest of it. I try to speed read articles looking for important key words that stick out to me in the context of the headline.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
They were a little before my time. :eek:

A little tip on reading news on the Internet that I read once somewhere, is that I normally only read the beginning and ending of an article. Many times, the middle of an article is superfluous filler garbage. If after I do that and am looking for more, will I skim the rest of it. I try to speed read articles looking for important key words that stick out to me in the context of the headline.

Yes, well before my time too. I decide before I'm finished with the first sentence of each paragraph whether or not I'm going to complete that paragraph or not. I learned that from college, having to read stupid amounts of text and being a slow reader.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Don't feel too bad. I remember watching them on a small black and white TV because there wasn't color yet.

And I watched Dan Rather doing weather reports from Hurricane Carla when we lived in Texas.

OOH...you're an old guy (gender neutral usage).

We got our first TV in '51 or '52...black and white, with something like three channels which were on about 6-8 hours a day.

At that time, there was at least an attempt at limiting editorializing to well identified segments of the news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.