Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
One issue I have read about is the new APIs.

The new WinRT APIs for the new modern Windows Store applications are immature and in some cases incomplete. So developers can't write the applications they necessarily want to write – at least not yet.

It isn't trivial for existing Windows desktop application developers OR existing Windows Phone application developers just pick up and use. There is some learning curve involved in both cases.

Obviously Microsoft have their reasons for this and it will get fixed in time, but I don't think it is helping things at the moment.

On the flip side – I think Microsoft have done some genuinely interesting and innovate things in Windows 8/Windows RT. But as so often is the case with Microsoft the go to market strategy and execution leaves a lot to be desired.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
this is my biggest issue. I like Windows 8, but the Metro integration is tedious.
My big annoyance is why do I need to have the added complexity of switching back and forth between Metro and traditional desktop? Screw it, I will just use Windows 7 for another 10 years. Works well and I have no superfluous stuff to work through.

Kind of insane they overlooked this.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I think you are wrong on all accounts, the reason it is failing is simple:

People do not like learning new things.

If Microsoft would have made metro the 'back-side' of Windows 8 for computers and the front line for tablets they would have been fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.