Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stumpy25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
I hope this is a simple setting that I just missed. I open a file; I often want the subsequent files I open to be from the same folder as the first file I opened. My Mac Pro used to work this way. Now, File>Open defaults to my hard drive. I REALLY would like it to default to the previously opened folder. Thanks for any assistance.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I hope this is a simple setting that I just missed. I open a file; I often want the subsequent files I open to be from the same folder as the first file I opened. My Mac Pro used to work this way. Now, File>Open defaults to my hard drive. I REALLY would like it to default to the previously opened folder. Thanks for any assistance.

Click on the Desktop to show the Finder menu. Then go into Finder's Preferences and change the folder where it initially opens.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon

Within any application File>Open should be defaulting to the last folder used for that application. It might be a corrupted preferences file for that application. Also, the folder pulldown in the open menu should list recently referenced folders at the bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.