Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Charity auction site CharityBuzz is hosting a listing to have coffee with Apple CEO Tim Cook at Apple's Cupertino headquarters (via The Next Web).

The proceeds from the auction will benefit the RFK Center for Justice & Human Rights, a fitting charity as Cook said at the D10 conference that Bobby Kennedy was one of his heroes. The high bid on the listing, which closes on May 14th, is currently at $5,250, with an estimated value of $50,000.

charitybuzz.jpg
Legendary investor Warren Buffett routinely auctions lunch with himself for charity. Last year's auction sold for nearly $3.5 million. The winner won lunch for eight with Buffett at Smith & Wollensky in New York.

The auction covers two attendees for a 30-60 minute meeting at a mutually agreed upon date.

Update: The RFK Center has issued a press release announcing the group of roughly 100 celebrity auctions, specifically drawing attention to the coffee meeting with Cook.
In an unprecedented donation, Apple CEO Tim Cook is offering the opportunity for a winning bidder and guest to join him for coffee at the Apple Headquarters in Cupertino, CA. The experience, valued at $50,000, marks the first time one-on-one access to Cook has been offered on the auction block.

Article Link: Tim Cook Offering Coffee Meeting at Apple HQ in Charity Auction

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
if I win, the coffee meeting conversation is going to look like:

Me: Soo....can you...
Tim: Nope, sorry, can't talk about the new Mac Pros

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
At least its for a good cause. Maybe he'll show the lucky winner iOS 7. Lol. Wishful thinking, but very doubtful.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I never knew Tim Cook had a Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Engineering from Auburn University. Hmm.

I hope some media guy doesn't win this auction.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
30-60 minutes with Tim Cook has an "estimated value" of 50k? Wish I had that kind of hourly rate! Even attorneys would be jealous of that.

michalm21

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2009
NYC
no way

Tim is the most boring person I've yet had to listen to. Company is "wall street tanking" mostly because of his persona. I wouldn't want to talk to him even if I was paid to do it.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Estimated value, $50,000??? For coffee??? Man, that guy has one giant flipping ego! :eek:

For that price you should be wined, dined and wake up to find one of those new rumored iToys in your Universal Serial Bus. ;)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Estimated value, $50,000??? For coffee??? Man, that guy has one giant flipping ego! :eek:

For that price you should be wined, dined and wake up to find one of those new rumored iToys in your Universal Serial Bus. ;)

This is for charity. The object is to get as much money as possible to donate to the charity. Has nothing to do with his ego. More to do with getting as much as you can for the charity.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If it were with Steve Jobs, I would have dropped $10K.

For Tim Cook? Maybe $100. That's about what a lecture from a good speaker costs.

For Jonny Ive as the person below me suggested, I would consider something around $2K.

poppiesny

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2006
Nicely done, Timothy.

What an easy way to raise money for charity - someone with deep pockets who wouldn't otherwise get to hang with Tim gets to chill for a coffee and chat, and some charity makes bank. How can people find something wrong with this?

Last edited:

alephnull12

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2012
Yes more feel-good ********* from someone who is supposed to be running the greatest company on earth.

Ranks right up there with the "innovation" of bolting a couple overpriced solar panels to your data centers.

Problem with Tim Cook, is that he's just not that big of an *******.

Insanely great products... Anyone?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I wonder what the estimated value would be if it was SJ?

About the same as John Lennon.

Don't know where he is buried, but you can probably have half an hour talking to Steve Jobs for free (from a small distance). You won't get any answers though. BYOC (bring your own coffee).

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This is for charity. The object is to get as much money as possible to donate to the charity. Has nothing to do with his ego. More to do with getting as much as you can for the charity.

Exactly, it's a high[er] dollar charitable contribution for people who would probably drop that amount this year anyway ... wrapped up in a fun little "coffee talk" session with someone who would be reasonable interesting to chat with in an informal setting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.