Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iskios

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Hi,

Just want to confirm to you guys who have a factory unlocked iPhone 4. My iPhone 4 can be used on different carriers, however every time I change my sim I will get a no service even after rebooting my phone. The only way to use the new sim would be to connect my phone to itunes to go through the activation process, the activation will go through and the signal for new sim will start showing. The process is the same when using a different sim from the same carrier.

Is this really normal? Is my iPhone 4 factory unlocked or not? or semi factory unlocked (if it exist) since I always need to connect to itunes and go through activation everytime I change my sim both on the same carrier and different carrier.

Also, upon checking my IMEI on sites which tells whether the unit is sim locked or not shows that my unit is indeed sim locked, funny thing is I can use it with sim cards on different carriers provided I use iTunes to activate it.

daudi

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Hi,

Just want to confirm to you guys who have a factory unlocked iPhone 4. My iPhone 4 can be used on different carriers, however every time I change my sim I will get a no service even after rebooting my phone. The only way to use the new sim would be to connect my phone to itunes to go through the activation process, the activation will go through and the signal for new sim will start showing. The process is the same when using a different sim from the same carrier.

Is this really normal? Is my iPhone 4 factory unlocked or not? or semi factory unlocked (if it exist) since I always need to connect to itunes and go through activation everytime I change my sim both on the same carrier and different carrier.

Also, upon checking my IMEI on sites which tells whether the unit is sim locked or not shows that my unit is indeed sim locked, funny thing is I can use it with sim cards on different carriers provided I use iTunes to activate it.

if you can provide more details like the baseband, the verison of the iphone, would be great to help you out sort the issue. just for the time being, try restoring the iphone and see if the issue still presists.

Iskios

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Baseband : 04.12.02
Model : MC319LL
iOS : 6.0.1

Restoring it doesn't show any changes, the sim inserted on the iPhone will be recognized after restoration and activation. But after changing the sim either from the same or different carrier, it will show no service even after reset of network settings. It can only be used once the iPhone is plugged 2x on itunes.

1st connection itunes will prompt activation failed. phone will show activation required
2nd connection the activation will proceed and the new sim can now be used

as stated on my 1st post, my iPhone can be used on different carrier provided I use itunes to activate the newly inserted sim. I just want to know if this is the normal procedure when changing sim cards on a factory unlocked iPhone.

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Is this really normal?

No. Admittedly I have a 4S with 5.1.1 but I'd imagine that it's the same; I can change SIM and while it does say "No Service" for a minute or so, it soon picks up the correct network without any further intervention.

BB: 2.0.12
Model: MD241NZ

Iskios

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
No. Admittedly I have a 4S with 5.1.1 but I'd imagine that it's the same; I can change SIM and while it does say "No Service" for a minute or so, it soon picks up the correct network without any further intervention.

BB: 2.0.12
Model: MD241NZ

Factory Unlocked or SW Unlocked?

You might need to be connected to wifi to go through the activation process again on the phone.
Give it some time, it will get service.

But is that normal when changing sims? Everytime I change sim cards I need to activate it in order to have service.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Factory Unlocked or SW Unlocked?

But is that normal when changing sims? Everytime I change sim cards I need to activate it in order to have service.

I believe every time you switch sims from a different carrier it would bring you back to the activation sim.
That's what it did to my iphone when I stuck in a Tmobile sim.
It only takes a minute though.

Iskios

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
I believe every time you switch sims from a different carrier it would bring you back to the activation sim.
That's what it did to my iphone when I stuck in a Tmobile sim.
It only takes a minute though.

Activation only shows up only after connecting it to itunes or after reset all settings.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Help

hey guys i bought an iPhone of of eBay and had it factory unlocked. I bought the phone to sell it and am not sure where to go next. I don't have any services with AT&T or T-Mobile but i managed to get my hands on a regular T-Mobile sim. i used a micro cutter and cut the SIM but when i put it in the phone it says No service and when i go to cellular and remove automatic and select T-Mobile it says Cell service is restricted for T-Mobile and AT&t. i don't want to sell the phone if its not working.

My question is do i have to have an activated SIM or something for the card to pick up their service? OR should i just send the phone out and the buyer will have an active sim card that can activate it.

the phone is on iOS 6.1 , Unlocked as i got the iTunes unlock message and it says Modem Firmware 04.12.05

i find it funny as the phone is picking up the SIM and it knows its a t mobile one but it doesn't show bars. Also when i enter the SIM card it says i have a voice mail but i don't know how to make it connect from that.

I have not called customer service from either party as i dont have any of their services and on their site you need to be registered to talk to them. Do i need to call customer service ? Any advice from anyone

Also i reset network settings and erased all contents multiple times to no avail. does anyone know whats wrong?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
hey guys i bought an iPhone of of eBay and had it factory unlocked. I bought the phone to sell it and am not sure where to go next. I don't have any services with AT&T or T-Mobile but i managed to get my hands on a regular T-Mobile sim. i used a micro cutter and cut the SIM but when i put it in the phone it says No service and when i go to cellular and remove automatic and select T-Mobile it says Cell service is restricted for T-Mobile and AT&t. i don't want to sell the phone if its not working.

My question is do i have to have an activated SIM or something for the card to pick up their service? OR should i just send the phone out and the buyer will have an active sim card that can activate it.

the phone is on iOS 6.1 , Unlocked as i got the iTunes unlock message and it says Modem Firmware 04.12.05

i find it funny as the phone is picking up the SIM and it knows its a t mobile one but it doesn't show bars. Also when i enter the SIM card it says i have a voice mail but i don't know how to make it connect from that.

I have not called customer service from either party as i dont have any of their services and on their site you need to be registered to talk to them. Do i need to call customer service ? Any advice from anyone

Also i reset network settings and erased all contents multiple times to no avail. does anyone know whats wrong?

I'd try another sim to rule out its not a sim issue.

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
I have factory unlocked 3GS, 4 and 4Ss and I can hot swap SIMs no problem... Takes about 30s and the new carrier is active.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
I'd try another sim to rule out its not a sim issue.

ok thanks so should i try one of those prepaid bring your iPhone SIM's? i believe to use an at&t one or T-Mobile one you have to have an account ?

I don't want to sign up for service i just want to test it out and at least see their name in top left corner.

Last edited:

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Doesn't matter if the sim is active or dead, it will still activate the iphone, as long as it's an official one.

Ok the SIMS im using are the one that came with the phone and an old one my friend gave me so i don't know if the sims are activated or not. So it should still says Tmobile in top left corner even though i don't have an account or service. Im not registered with either company im just using one of their sim cards.

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
what kind of SIMS do you use are you registered with each carrier with a contract SIM or are you using No contract SIMS ?

Fido Canada contract, Rogers Canada pre pay, Bell Canada contract, Telcom NZ contract, Vodafone NZ pre pay, AT&T US pre pay, T-Mobile Austria pre pay, Vodafone Czech pre pay, T-mobile Czech pre pay, Orange UK pre pay and T-Mobile Germany pre pay.

Crazel1991

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
Trouble!!!?!!

I recently bought iphone 5 through ebay and it said that it was unlocked but originally from o2. When i got it it was unlocked to most of the networks but 3 network sim did not work and the main purpose for this phone was to use internationally but it did not work. I dont know what to do now? Can i factory unlock it again saying that its locked from o2? Or any other suggestion? Please help:confused:

Majicall

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
No service

Doesn't matter if the sim is active or dead, it will still activate the iphone, as long as it's an official one.

Bought Iphone4 direct from Apple so unlocked for any sim. Just changed sim and not being recognised - no signal and no network name. Hard reset and still nothing. Done Full delete and restart and now stuck on "Only compatible SIM cards.....". Sim works perfect in nokia and blackberry, making and receiving calls and text. Put old sim back in and all starts working and installs. Swapped to new sim and "No Service" shows in corner (left like that for 10 hours and didnt start working).
Any ideas what to do?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Bought Iphone4 direct from Apple so unlocked for any sim. Just changed sim and not being recognised - no signal and no network name. Hard reset and still nothing. Done Full delete and restart and now stuck on "Only compatible SIM cards.....". Sim works perfect in nokia and blackberry, making and receiving calls and text. Put old sim back in and all starts working and installs. Swapped to new sim and "No Service" shows in corner (left like that for 10 hours and didnt start working).
Any ideas what to do?

Sounds like its not an unlocked iphone then.
Bring it back to Apple. If its really unlocked it would never display incompatible sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.