Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
I personally have never understood the huge phones either. At a certain point, it becomes a computer you can make calls with rather than a phone you can surf the 'net on. As to why they don't just make multiple sizes, this gets to what makes the user experience on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch so seamless. I'd argue that what made some of the games and apps so wonderful on the original macintoshes (SE, for example) was the constant screen size - so that apps could be designed just for that screen size, maximizing utility. Look at television - there's two formats, SD and HD. SD content on HD screens looks terrible. You saw a little bit of this when the iPads came out, and content designed for iPhones had to be doubled.

If Apple were to release larger iPhones, they would be faced with a difficult choice. Same number of pixels, which would maintain the user experience but not allow more usable real estate; or more pixels at a non-integer multiple, which would balkanize the user experience and make it tougher on developers. Think scroll bars and icons running off the screen and pixelated icons.

Ray J

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2013
Apple to-do:

- 5" iPhone 6 (Kill this "S" nonsense. It's a joke)
- 4" iPhone Mini (White plastic, debut in emerging markets first)
- Fresh iOS 7
- Kill all non-retina screens (If you're going to ape up "retina" like it's God's creation, stop making non-retina *****. By your own admission, it's inferior).
- New Mac Pro (Re-instill confidence of AV professionals)
- Homogenize MacBook Pro lineup
- Logic X debut
- Knock $150 off price of Thunderbolt display
- Update iPod Classic with 256 SSD and lightning connector. (Apple's signature -- and still very worthy -- product. Cannot let this fall by the wayside)
- THEN, only AFTER this is complete, test the waters with iDevices like iWatch.

Can I put in my official bid for Apple CEO now?

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Apple to-do:

- 5" iPhone 6 (Kill this "S" nonsense. It's a joke)
- 4" iPhone Mini (White plastic, debut in emerging markets first)
- Fresh iOS 7
- Kill all non-retina screens (If you're going to ape up "retina" like it's God's creation, stop making non-retina *****. By your own admission, it's inferior).
- New Mac Pro (Re-instill confidence of AV professionals)
- Homogenize MacBook Pro lineup
- Logic X debut
- Knock $150 off price of Thunderbolt display
- Update iPod Classic with 256 SSD and lightning connector. (Apple's signature -- and still very worthy -- product. Cannot let this fall by the wayside)
- THEN, only AFTER this is complete, test the waters with iDevices like iWatch.

Can I put in my official bid for Apple CEO now?

Great stuff. But all of the stuff you mentioned aren't going to revolutionize major industries like the iPhone and iPad did. They really need to get "iTV" going (I like iPanel or iScreen) with full network and studio support for a la carte pricing. The cable and sat companies are ripe for the taking.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I admit that I only read through the first 10 of the current 14 pages of posts, but I haven't read another comment from someone who shares my opinion: I don't care whether the iPhone has a 4" display or a 5" display. There are things I'd change about iOS and other Apple products, but the reason I upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 last December without considering competing phones is that I've been in the Apple ecosystem for years, I love Apple products overall, and I have a Mac, an iPad, and a large collection of iOS apps. I'm not one of the "Apple sheeple" who "drink the Kool-Aid" and think that everything Apple does is great. I don't hate non-Apple products. In fact, I've been using Windows PCs since Windows came out, and I'm perfectly fine with the Lenovo laptop running Windows 7 that I use at work.

For my personal use, though, I have neither the time, the inclination, nor the money to switch brands and platforms every time a manufacturer comes up with something that's slightly better in a couple of aspects than what the competition offers. I have no problem with people who switch phones once or twice a year to keep up with the latest and greatest, but that's not me. There are tasks that, for me, are best done on an iPhone, tasks that are best done on an iPad, and tasks that are best done on a Mac. I might be wrong, but I don't think that increasing the iPhone's screen from 4" to 5" will make it significantly easier for me to do what I do on the iPhone: take pictures, listen to music, check my calendar, use the calculator and other conversion apps, find directions to places, play Scrabble to kill time, and so on. I look up information on the Internet on my iPhone when I need to and I'm not at home, but for casual browsing, I much prefer the 9.7" screen of my iPad 4. The same goes for reading ebooks and watching YouTube videos. For movies, I prefer my big-screen home theater. For typing-intensive tasks, I prefer my Mac. For processing photos, I go back and forth between my Mac and my iPad.

On the other hand, if the iPhone does go to a 5" screen, I won't mind. I might even like it better than the current 4" screen. But for me to jump ship from the Apple ecosystem, the competition will have to offer an overall better user experience in the areas that are important to me, and probably at a lower price. I suspect that the same holds true for the majority of iPhone (and probably Andoid phone) users. Are there any data on what percentage of smart-phone sales are by people who upgrade frequently to have the latest and greatest, as opposed to first-time buyers in new markets, or people who upgrade because their current model is getting too slow or otherwise lacks compelling new features? In other words, is Apple really in danger of losing significant market share if they don't switch to a 5" iPhone screen?

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Most of you aren't engineers so chill out.
Show me a 5 inch retina-like display smart phone with all the internal/external bling as the iPhone. And I mean all the stuff like the iPhone. I haven't seen it. Maybe some of you you were walking in the woods and saw one being held by Bigfoot. I don't know.
Call or tweet me.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
From the other thread -

Buh?

*Looks at iPhone 5, which made exactly these tradeoffs.*

Is Tim drunk?

Sorry, the iPhone 5 uses bizarre tricks like the S4 pentile display to achieve the illusion of higher DPI?

----------

Apple is just arrogant. They were game changers but they then sit back and slowly evolve while others surge forward. It is a recipe for disaster for them. You can't rest on your laurels forever. You can't continue to believe your own press and the fanboys. That huge advantage they got by being very good and first is now clearly waning. Making the iphone 5 longer but not otherwise bigger was a HUGE mistake. To prolong it may put them irretrievably behind. The comment about the bezel is right on. My S3 is only slightly larger than the iphone. It is all that wasted bezel space that makes most of the difference!

Surge forward? The smartphone has not changed in anyway you can a surge since the iPhone was released. If it does surge again, it will probably be Apple leading the charge. Changing the screen size is not a surge forward.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Apple are making profits because of the MASSIVE mark up they place on their products? They could sell half as many and still make billions, not forgetting the 30% cut from every app and in app purchase on any iOS device.
Apple cut out a 7" device and went to 8" because it didn't want to compete with the devices at that level again with it's massive mark up, Apple has simply done what it always dose, massively marks up a new device at a high level whilst it is under specced to allow them to introduce all these wonderful features like retina screen on the next model and gloat how it costs the same price, when in fact it's deliberate as they will still have a massive profit margin due to the original over inflated price.
If Apple made a 7" tablet and sold it for £300 against the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire, they would have been laughed out the room for the specs te iPad Mini has!

I'm also pretty sure these giant electronic company's spend a ton of time and resources in market research and they saw people wanted bigger devices. Apple is going to loose out, plenty have already ditched the iPhone for bigger screens. It is in no way a fad. company's do not waste money down the drain in such spectacular fashion hoping they make a profit, the research the crap out of it first.

I actually feel sorry for those who have unknowingly brought an inferior product in the iPad Mini because the next model is going to be so much better. If it isn't then your a mug to buy one, because compared to the full size iPad, the mini's specs are a joke especially for the price.

To the iPad Mini buyers:

How it feels in your hands >>> Specs

And I know plenty of people that still love their original iPads and use them everyday. You're too focused on specs and not realizing that when you buy an Apple product, you're buying more than hardware, you're buying into an ecosystem and getting an experience far superior to most competitor's product offerings. That is why so many people have no problem paying more for Apple products. Do you realize how many people don't even know what a retina display is???

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
To the iPad Mini buyers:

How it feels in your hands >>> Specs

And I know plenty of people that still love their original iPads and use them everyday. You're too focused on specs and not realizing that when you buy an Apple product, you're buying more than hardware, you're buying into an ecosystem and getting an experience far superior to most competitor's product offerings. That is why so many people have no problem paying more for Apple products. Do you realize how many people don't even know what a retina display is???

No I am not, you cannot use the original iPad in your argument as it had nothing else to compare to? In the case of the Mini you have a quad core graphics beast with a 9.7" retina screen on one hand, and Apple sell you a low res dual core gpu 7.9" device in the other hand? And that's the entire problem also, Apples eco system, your locked in, you can spend hundreds on apps that will NEVER work on anything other then an iOS device so if you want to change you loose a lot more then the cost of an iPhone.
However if your happy to pay an over inflated price for a device with lower specs then the Nexus 7 then go right ahead, maybe it'll help Apple's drop in profits and shares? just don't feel too hurt when later this year sees a much upgraded model for the exact same price, but of course Apple hopes you'll buy that one too

M

Mr.damien

Did I hurt you're feelings because I expressed an opinon? I think I'll stick around just to piss you off more than I've already done. :p I can't wait to see your expression when Apple makes a 5 inch screen. Oh my, will your tune reverse then.
Not really.
Because when Apple will release the 5inche screen, the screen will be the phone without border. So the phone won't be bigger.

But then yeah, you will pretend there is no difference :rolleyes:

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I am 5'6" female and I want a larger screen on my iPhone. Not 5" but larger than the goofy 4" long phone. Nice theory but I don't think so.:)

Since the majority of iPhone users are females, iPhones need to remain small in order for it to fit in their hands.

Tim Cook will never say it, but it's as simple as that.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Not really.
Because when Apple will release the 5inche screen, the screen will be the phone without border. So the phone won't be bigger.

But then yeah, you will pretend there is no difference :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt that! Based on the stupid bezel ends they kept with the iPhone 5! All they had to do was remove the ends or reduce the home button size a lot, make it capacitive, and everyone would love the iPhone 5's size. But alas no and I have trouble using it because of it's length (that's what she said ;))
But that is also why I would love to have the same iPhone 5 specs but with the iPhone 4 screen size, and durability.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Tim is a dummy that's losing customers by the day with his stupid comments.

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
The HTC ONE's display is magnificient and bests the iPhone 5's in every category.

Sorry, but no it doesn't. I do photo and video work professionally and I just went to check out the HTC One the other day. Side by side with my iPhone 5, my iPhone displayed my website better. The colors were perfect on my iPhone while a bit saturated on the One. I should know what they look like as I shot them. The One's clarity is fantastic but its color profile does not match the iPhones, no phone does I have seen.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Sorry, but no it doesn't. I do photo and video work professionally and I just went to check out the HTC One the other day. Side by side with my iPhone 5, my iPhone displayed my website better. The colors were perfect on my iPhone while a bit saturated on the One. I should know what they look like as I shot them. The One's clarity is fantastic but its color profile does not match the iPhones, no phone does I have seen.

Ah but other say thr opposite too :) so who do whe trust ?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Ah but other say thr opposite too :) so who do whe trust ?
Unfortunately the old CEO was so powerful & influential he programmed people to think the same thing. Convinced they couldn't trust themselves they worshiped him & put their belief in him.

Now he's gone and droves of the faithful are feeling lost. Yet they buy Apple products in his honor. Proving that even now they trust not in themselves, but in Apple. What a profitable phenomenon.

If Samsung had this kind of following Apple wouldn't stand a chance :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
why not build one with a bigger screen and keep the current screen? give us choice. i'm seriously thinking about the s4 or htc one to use until apple releases a bigger and better screen.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
I don't want 4+ inch iPhone. If they'll ever make a 5-inch one, I hope, they'll keep the regularly sized iPhone along...

I am very happy with my 3,5" 4S and I have exactly zero reasons to upgrade to a bigger one, as I have a tablet for executing tasks that require more real estate. For browsing the net on-the-go, going through emails and stuff, it's the ideal size. And it fits my pocket well.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
When iphone reaches 4.5 I'll be back. i'm there for osx, but I have big hands with wide fingers and have problems with small phones. I know this is not true of everyone, but we are not all identical clones. I think choices in sizes would be a good thing.

And it fits my pocket well.

I think the pocket statement is worn out unless some are wearing children's pants. I understand you like 3.5 and more power to you, but come on. I have a 4.5" and it doesn't come close to filling my pocket up or feel bulky. I know I could easily carry a 5" or more in my pocket.

Nothing personal.

Last edited:

Rachel Faith

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Iowa
This is where Steve Jobs was NOT visionary. He thinks one size fits all. There IS a demand for MANY different sizes. Of course the same can be said for 17 inch PCs too. Hint Hint.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
This is where Steve Jobs was NOT visionary. He thinks one size fits all. There IS a demand for MANY different sizes. Of course the same can be said for 17 inch PCs too. Hint Hint.

That is the issue I have with their computers, there is such a thing as options and not sure why it would be so hard to have a current generation system in at least two different styles and like you said, a larger screen.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
There IS also demand for mangoes. Does that mean Apple should sell mangoes?

Because of my username, I feel I have to say YES.

I don't want 4+ inch iPhone. If they'll ever make a 5-inch one, I hope, they'll keep the regularly sized iPhone along...

I agree. I feel my iPhone 4 is the perfect size. Also, I think 16:9 is a weird screen ratio for a phone. 16:9 is great for movies, not phones. The only thing I covet about the iPhone 5 is the lightning connector. The 30-pin dock connector sucks.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
This is where Apple critics are NOT realistic. They think Apple has some sort of obligation to meet every single person's personal preference.

There IS also demand for mangoes. Does that mean Apple should sell mangoes?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1574695/

That is going a little far. Their attitude can be a bit heavy handed, telling people what they should want even when we know what we want. I still need an optical drive, is there any reason it would be so hard to two a current generation Macbook with the retina display with and without one? It can just be little things like that, options.

I think the iPad having pressure sensitivity would be cool, then some say how Apples hates stylus yet it is not like someone would HAVE to use it, once again it would be an option like the S-Pen is on some phones, there if you need it ignore it if not.

It will be hard to meet everyones personal tech list, I do feel they could do a bit better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.