Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I am referring to the mini article that appears above the search results with basic info regarding the subject you are searching for. If you click the tab at the bottom with the down arrow it extends lower revealing the entire profile.

I hate it, it's very annoying. I almost never open it or use it as a resource because it is far inferior to Wikipedia. Just another intrusive, forced, and unnecessary poor addition to what was once a simple and efficient search engine.

Last edited:

naveah

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Atlanta
I can see how that might be annoying. But I actually love it. You get a quick blurb about that person without having to go to a separate Wikipedia (or other source) page.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I can see how that might be annoying. But I actually love it. You get a quick blurb about that person without having to go to a separate Wikipedia (or other source) page.

But if you want anything more than some very minor info you have to go to the Wikipedia or IMDB page anyway

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

Isn't it contradicting the algorithm?

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Isn't it contradicting the algorithm?

Contradicting what algorithm? Showing a visual representation of the place or person is a great idea. Google uses this "cards" systems for lots of searches. It is much better than no visual representation at all. It does not affect the search results themselves.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Contradicting what algorithm? Showing a visual representation of the place or person is a great idea. Google uses this "cards" systems for lots of searches. It is much better than no visual representation at all. It does not affect the search results themselves.
Yeah it does because it didn't make it to the top based on relevance but was deliberately placed there. I find it annoying because I don't use it since it's sparse and incomplete and so it's just in the way.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Yeah it does because it didn't make it to the top based on relevance but was deliberately placed there. I find it annoying because I don't use it since it's sparse and incomplete and so it's just in the way.

It's not a result. It is a card with information on what you are searching for. I don't see how you can say it isn't useful. I would imagine 99% of people find it useful to see who and what they are searching for which quick information.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
It's not a result. It is a card with information on what you are searching for. I don't see how you can say it isn't useful. I would imagine 99% of people find it useful to see who and what they are searching for which quick information.
Exactly its not a result so it shouldn't be at the top of the results. Its not useful because it usually doesn't have all of the info I need, so it is just a bunch of fluff in the way.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Exactly its not a result so it shouldn't be at the top of the results. Its not useful because it usually doesn't have all of the info I need, so it is just a bunch of fluff in the way.

Fluff? What would be the point of it being at the bottom? If you already know all of the information, I am at a loss for why you are searching for it. Obviously it does not provide a full synopsis of every single result. But it gives you way more than a list of links. In most cases, it provides enough information to make sure you have found the correct person/place/thing.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Fluff? What would be the point of it being at the bottom? If you already know all of the information, I am at a loss for why you are searching for it. Obviously it does not provide a full synopsis of every single result. But it gives you way more than a list of links. In most cases, it provides enough information to make sure you have found the correct person/place/thing.
I rarely search for something to confirm that it is in fact what I thought it was. I look it up to get more information on it. The "list of links" is what I am looking for, it has the most comprehensive information. I do not want a few basic tid bits and a giant picture dominating 1/5 of the screen.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I rarely search for something to confirm that it is in fact what I thought it was. I look it up to get more information on it. The "list of links" is what I am looking for, it has the most comprehensive information. I do not want a few basic tid bits and a giant picture dominating 1/5 of the screen.

You better get use to it. Bing and Google are doing this based on user feedback. Having rich results is what most people want. It's no different than searching for the weather provides a weather card. Search engines are no longer about providing you a list of links.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.