Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Do they have internet there?

----------

I wonder if my iPhone will have reception there.

haha you never know. I think astronauts in the International Space Station, have some sort of internet connection though.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
haha you never know. I think astronauts in the International Space Station, have some sort of internet connection though.

It would take a radio signal around 10-20 minutes to reach Mars depending on how far it is from Earth, so using the internet would be pretty much impossible. So would having a phone call with someone back on Earth.

The best you could do is e-mail. A 20 minute delivery time for that isn't terrible considering in the old days we had to mail letters through the postal system and that took a few days.

But hey, while on Mars, you could visit the giant penis :D

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
It would take a radio signal around 10-20 minutes to reach Mars depending on how far it is from Earth, so using the internet would be pretty much impossible. So would having a phone call with someone back on Earth.

The best you could do is e-mail. A 20 minute delivery time for that isn't terrible considering in the old days we had to mail letters through the postal system and that took a few days.

But hey, while on Mars, you could visit the giant penis :D

Technology may get advanced and make things possible. We may end up living in a Star Trek style life in the future (yeah call me a trekki i know i am one) lol. Yeah i noticed the giant penis lol you gotta love the guys at Nasa lol.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
If I could afford to buy the ticket, there are several people I can think of for whom I would buy one.

If I live to 2023, I doubt I could navigate the stairs to the ship's cabin...:p

:rolleyes:

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
If I could afford to buy the ticket, there are several people I can think of for whom I would buy one.

If I live to 2023, I doubt I could navigate the stairs to the ship's cabin...:p

:rolleyes:

You will be fine. You will be able to be beamed to the cabin. :D

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Technology may get advanced and make things possible. .

The bandwidth may well increase, maybe even geometrically. The latency, however, will remain a problem until someone finds a way to repeal the physical law governing the speed of lights.

Meaning you might be able to transmit 3-dimensional, 4K resolution, video chats with your friends of relatives back on earth. But it is still going to take about half an hour for you to see if anyone laughs at your jokes.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Boldly going where no internet has gone before...

Do they have internet there? ...

A store-and-forward network of internets is likely (but it won't be "the Internet" that you're used to using.)

Vint Cert, co-designer of TCP/IP protocols, talked about the Interplanetary Internet (IPN), in 2011:

In late 2012, NASA and ESA used an experimental version of the Interplanetary Internet to test a LEGO robot from the International Space Station.

You'd think the the Intergalactic Internet would be the next logical step, but mind-blowingly enough, it was actually the first step.

Last edited:

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I would love to do this, but no internet, no girl friends.... there are just too many deal breakers.

Ummm, colonize Mars. Populate. Insert peni...

No Internet does not mean no girlfriend. No Internet actually means a real girlfriend. :)

But if we went, we would take computers and network them. Imagine that, (don't really) the first nude picture on the Martian Internet would be a picture of me. My momma always told me I'd be famous for something. ;)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

No Internet does not mean no girlfriend. No Internet actually means a real girlfriend. :)

But if we went, we would take computers and network them. Imagine that, (don't really) the first nude picture on the Martian Internet would be a picture of me. My momma always told me I'd be famous for something. ;)

Good to see you are setting your sights high in terms of life accomplishments.:cool:

Mom will be so proud!:eek:

:p :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

No mention here of the old wooing and winning, you know, growing spectacularly useless but quite gloriously large horns, sprouting iridescent bright colourful feathers, trying out amazingly intricate dances, low music, witty conversation, French wine,......the vast array of accomplishments with which males seek to persuade (seduce, woo, win) females to accept them as suitable potential mates, and perhaps join with them with the future in mind......

Good to see you are setting your sights high in terms of life accomplishments.:cool:

Bravo. You expressed it better than I ever could.....;)

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010

Of course not just being an astronaut, but also being on the first manned mission to another planet is quite an accomplishment in itself.

No mention here of the old wooing and winning, you know, growing spectacularly useless but quite gloriously large horns, sprouting iridescent bright colourful feathers, trying out amazingly intricate dances, low music, witty conversation, French wine,......the vast array of accomplishments with which males seek to persuade (seduce, woo, win) females to accept them as suitable potential mates, and perhaps join with them with the future in mind......

Self confidence (but not to the point of being arrogant and cocky) goes a long way with the ladies, as does a quite evening conversing on the couch. Then again, one guy being stranded on Mars with three ladies would have some pretty good odds.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Of course not just being an astronaut, but also being on the first manned mission to another planet is quite an accomplishment in itself.

......... Then again, one guy being stranded on Mars with three ladies would have some pretty good odds.

The first part, yes, I can see your point; fair comment.

However, I cannot see any reason on Earth, or Mars for that matter, why any (heterosexual) female would choose to isolate herself in such an environment without being able to select from a choice of eligible males. The very idea of a remote, isolated, confined world where the ratio is three females to one male sounds such a male fantasy.........

Your ideal seems to be female competition fighting for the dubious honour of (limited) male attention, whereas, the cliché of nature has always been male competition for right of access to the females...

Ah, well, we can all dream, but it is profoundly depressing that someone who dreams of travelling to new, unexplored worlds, should seek to replicate the most mundane of male fantasies when doing so........

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California

I don't know though. What if the trip only has dudes? What if there aren't enough females? How long before the first murder? Do you think the world will get to watch?

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
The first part, yes, I can see your point; fair comment.

However, I cannot see any reason on Earth, or Mars for that matter, why any (heterosexual) female would choose to isolate herself in such an environment without being able to select from a choice of eligible males. The very idea of a remote, isolated, confined world where the ratio is three females to one male sounds such a male fantasy.........

Your ideal seems to be female competition fighting for the dubious honour of (limited) male attention, whereas, the cliché of nature has always been male competition for right of access to the females...

Ah, well, we can all dream, but it is profoundly depressing that someone who dreams of travelling to new, unexplored worlds, should seek to replicate the most mundane of male fantasies when doing so........

The male/female boyfriend/girlfriend was satirical. It's not about fantasies. However if you're going to colonize, you will need to mate. While four is not enough, it's a start. Two couples, then the children of one couple mate with the children of the other. By the time they grow up, more people will have arrived. Assuming all goes as planned. Ideally you would chose couples, but someone might have to bite the bullet and have to be with someone that they are not particularly attracted to. But we are talking about being the first people to set foot on another planet.

Besides it is an honor for a woman to have my attention. If you don't believe me, just ask my wife. :p

I don't know though. What if the trip only has dudes? What if there aren't enough females? How long before the first murder? Do you think the world will get to watch?

If they are trying to start a colony, sending all males or all all females isn't going to get it done. They are going to select young heathy people with certain job skills. They will look for genetic defects. It should be a long drawn out process to select who will go. You want to avoid any potential health problems down the road.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I'd love to go but I'd probably miss earth too much. Though, if there was a way to return in 10+ years I wouldn't miss it that much. I would hope that communication/file transfers will make great leaps before launch.

However, I'm slightly allergic to wheat and I bet that would be a deal breaker in the health dept :(

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The bandwidth may well increase, maybe even geometrically. The latency, however, will remain a problem until someone finds a way to repeal the physical law governing the speed of lights.

Meaning you might be able to transmit 3-dimensional, 4K resolution, video chats with your friends of relatives back on earth. But it is still going to take about half an hour for you to see if anyone laughs at your jokes.

While any kind of real time interaction is going to be a problem, If we could get enough bandwidth between them then perhaps the majority of the Internet could eventually be mirrored between servers on the two planets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.