Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Apparently Rory Oneill really wants to WIN. He's a VP of RIM
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/vie...3608857,VSRPtargetId:3972548,VSRPcmpt:primary

Has bid a handful of times.

Thats a way to get a business meeting that was denied previously (making wild guesses here, of course). Like Kim Yong Un auctioning himself into a charity meeting with President Obama...

----------

Well, since you have that much to burn, if you end up not winning, mind throwing a few grand my way? I'll show you my mothership of student loans! ;)

or give it to me, I can pay a postdoc with it and get a good time of cancer research done. So, what's it going to be? Cup of coffee - year of cancer research? :rolleyes: (I know its for charity)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
or give it to me, I can pay a postdoc with it and get a good time of cancer research done. So, what's it going to be? Cup of coffee - year of cancer research? :rolleyes: (I know its for charity)

Such a big fuss here.

It's not like we're curing ca...oh, wait!:eek:

Good on you...I hope you get your postdoc by hook or by crook!!!:D

tod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Ohio
Tim is the most boring person I've yet had to listen to. Company is "wall street tanking" mostly because of his persona. I wouldn't want to talk to him even if I was paid to do it.

This is a good thing. Apple has a lot of value and will continue to generate a lot of cash for a long time to come. Not having a singular, charismatic individual to hype everything up is a problem only to Wall Street. The majority of Apple's customers are not and never were Steve Jobs groupies. Other things influence their purchases. For example, here's one item that you'll never see on the balance sheet: customer lock-in. What might that be worth over the next ten years?

So if the stock has dropped because investors don't like Tim Cook's low-key style, I consider that an opportunity to buy shares at a discount.

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Maybe the president will come in with a last minute bid, and Cook can sit there with a stupid grin on his face like he did at the SOTU speech, and then beg for a "tax holiday" for his company.

Verbatim Cookie

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Don't know where he is buried, but you can probably have half an hour talking to Steve Jobs for free (from a small distance). You won't get any answers though. BYOC (bring your own coffee).
I remember reading that Steve Jobs was cremated and his ashes scattered somewhere.
Horton?

/Canadian.
Why does the name of the stores (Tim Hortons) lack an apostrophe? :confused:
As of 3:46 pm EST, current price at $36,999 with 23 bids.
Where in the Eastern time zone is daylight saving time not in effect? :p

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
This is for charity. The object is to get as much money as possible to donate to the charity. Has nothing to do with his ego. More to do with getting as much as you can for the charity.

So rather than donate what amounts to pocket change to someone of Tim Cook's income level and do it discreetly and privately, Tim decided he'd rather get someone else to pony up the money while he claims credit for it all over the news. ;)

In other words, it's a PUBLICITY STUNT. It's designed to make Tim Cook look good for the news. I maintain that if some charity cause actually meant so much to him and he could donate a few million (still a tiny fraction of his net worth of close to a half BILLION) and do it out of the public eye rather than as an obvious attempt to bring glory to his public image. Frankly, it's easy for someone like Bill Gates who has billions to give millions since they still have plenty left. It's much harder for someone who has nothing to give anything and yet as I've been taught, the latter is the greater value in the eyes of God since motivation and intent is everything. The poor will always exist, particularly if the rich continually lord it over them the rest of the year. If living wages were paid and jobs weren't outsourced, many of these people wouldn't need charity in the first place and could maintain their own dignity by their own hand.

So sorry, I don't take much stock in Tim Cook's action here, where he essentially sips some coffee while listening to some fan compliment him all the while and the press gives him credit for being such a humanitarian for drinking coffee with someone. :rolleyes:

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
I expect it'll be an intimate little gathering. Just Tim, a couple of Apple PRs, maybe a stills photographer, some guy shooting video, Tim's Executive Assistant, someone from the Press Department...

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Tim is the most boring person I've yet had to listen to. Company is "wall street tanking" mostly because of his persona. I wouldn't want to talk to him even if I was paid to do it.

Clearly the dude is a private person, the only times you have heard him talk are in his capacity as an apple executive. Many of us like to compartmentalise our lives, be professional at work and be ourselves outside.

Your nasty statement also makes me wonder what kind of personality you have? Maybe you could do a youtube video and show us what you are all about!

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
He would if it were for prostrate cancer…

Did you mean pancreatic cancer maybe? Particularly neoendocrine, which I assume was what SJ had?

----------

So rather than donate what amounts to pocket change to someone of Tim Cook's income level and do it discreetly and privately, Tim decided he'd rather get someone else to pony up the money while he claims credit for it all over the news. ;)

In other words, it's a PUBLICITY STUNT. It's designed to make Tim Cook look good for the news. I maintain that if some charity cause actually meant so much to him and he could donate a few million (still a tiny fraction of his net worth of close to a half BILLION) and do it out of the public eye rather than as an obvious attempt to bring glory to his public image. Frankly, it's easy for someone like Bill Gates who has billions to give millions since they still have plenty left. It's much harder for someone who has nothing to give anything and yet as I've been taught, the latter is the greater value in the eyes of God since motivation and intent is everything. The poor will always exist, particularly if the rich continually lord it over them the rest of the year. If living wages were paid and jobs weren't outsourced, many of these people wouldn't need charity in the first place and could maintain their own dignity by their own hand.

So sorry, I don't take much stock in Tim Cook's action here, where he essentially sips some coffee while listening to some fan compliment him all the while and the press gives him credit for being such a humanitarian for drinking coffee with someone. :rolleyes:

Anybody also curious why this comes out at the same time apple is in the news for falling stock prices and revenue?

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011

Ah, of course. So everyone else (Oprah, Bill Clinton, and more) who did this are all scumbags too, huh?

Get over yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.