Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lightning Bolt

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2013
Windy City Suburb
Cool.

I'm also looking for a USB Hub and was thinking about the (Ultra Aluminus USB 3.0 Hub - 4 Port, USB 3.0 5Gbps, Aluminum)

However, I really think I should wait for a 7 port hub instead.

Let me know if/when you find one.

Another Dave :)

Well, just ordered a new iMac and also bought a new printer which has an USB 2.0 option (ethernet & wireless), so was curious about this topic - from the above and reading the Apple support document: 1) the USB port regardless of which specification is plugged (2.0 or 3.0) is NOT configured permanently for that device - if 2.0 is plugged and remove and a 3.0 item added then the faster protocol will be recognized; 2) if an USB 2.0 hub is plugged then regardless of what is attached to the hub, slower speed will be used.

OK - now onto finding a good & reliable 3.0 hub - Dave :)

fortysomegeek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Just a word of note.

A few USB 3.0 hubs I have (Via chipsets) all seem to kill UASP (USB Attached SCSI). The OS will drop down to USBMassStorage on any USB 3.0 drive connected to a hub. The UASPKext will only load if you plug it directly into the mac's direct port.

This is something to ponder when researching USB 3.0 hubs. So basically 4 different via based hubs I have will do this.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
The issue is that The USB organization has not approved any USB 3.0 hubs so people are just making hubs to see what stick similar to when wireless N came out. Router manufacturers were producing routers with wireless N draft which eventually became wireless N.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Cool.

I'm also looking for a USB Hub and was thinking about the (Ultra Aluminus USB 3.0 Hub - 4 Port, USB 3.0 5Gbps, Aluminum)

However, I really think I should wait for a 7 port hub instead.

Let me know if/when you find one.

Hi Dave - from a previous post, I visited the Satechi Website - plenty of 3.0 USB hubs available w/ the number of ports you want - I'm more interested in a 4-port model like the one shown below. A potential problem is that it is not 'powered' - so if devices are plugged in that require power from the USB port and multiple ones are attached, then the usual 900 milliamps (USB 3.0 spec) would be split between devices and may leave one or several 'under-powered' - of course, plugged ones w/ their own power (like a printer) would not be a problem.

So, just another consideration for those looking to extend their number of USB ports - I'll wait for some more responses (my new iMac was just ordered yesterday), look at the reviews, decide 'what' I need to plug in, AND try to avoid the power issues. Thanks - Dave :)

4_port_usb_3_1.jpg

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Just a word of note.

A few USB 3.0 hubs I have (Via chipsets) all seem to kill UASP (USB Attached SCSI). The OS will drop down to USBMassStorage on any USB 3.0 drive connected to a hub. The UASPKext will only load if you plug it directly into the mac's direct port.

This is something to ponder when researching USB 3.0 hubs. So basically 4 different via based hubs I have will do this.

A good notice, and something that seems to be off the radar for many here ;)

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I updated my post a few posts up about my thoughts on the 7 port usb 3.0 Uspeed. Basically I got it working with my imac. There was one device that didnt work which was my western digital hard drive. Everything I plugged into it worked except that. After a massive hassle of updating the firmware that needs windows to do so it now recognizes the western digital drive. so the uspeed 7 port hub works good with the 2012 imac as long as you update the firmware.

Lightning Bolt

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2013
Windy City Suburb
This is interesting because that's exactly what I just bought to use as my Time Machine back up for my MacBook. It's the 2TB USB 3.0 "My Passport" external.

I assume you updated the firmware in the WD hard drive? If so, I wonder if I should (or will need to) update the firmware on this one.

If i need to use windows to update it, that's not going to be good.

Right now it's working just fine but that's plugging it directly into the MacBook's USB 3.0 port.

I updated my post a few posts up about my thoughts on the 7 port usb 3.0 Uspeed. Basically I got it working with my imac. There was one device that didnt work which was my western digital hard drive. Everything I plugged into it worked except that. After a massive hassle of updating the firmware that needs windows to do so it now recognizes the western digital drive. so the uspeed 7 port hub works good with the 2012 imac as long as you update the firmware.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I did a lot of research too, and ended up buying a Plugable 7-port powered USB 3 hub (Amazon). They seem to actively test their hubs with Mac and OS X. At the same time, Apple has been addressing USB 3 issues with both firmware and OS updates (latest firmware for rMBP and 10.8.3 both address USB 3).

Anyway, it seems to work perfectly well with a USB 3 dock (StarTech), USB 3 bus-powered hard drives (Sabrent enclosure and WD 1 TB My Passport), USB 3 flash drives, USB 2 hub (it was convient due to physical location), and USB 2 audio and serial devices.

The USB 3 dock has dual slots and I tested copies between two 3.5" drives through the hub and obtained full speed on both (~115MB/s iirc). I also was getting 180MB/s reads from a Patriot RAGE XT 32GB USB 3 flash drive.

In other words, I haven't seen any issues - at least with the devices I have.

I also bought a USB 3 <> eSATA adapter that I haven't tested, yet, (StarTech), but I feel confident it'll be fine.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
This is interesting because that's exactly what I just bought to use as my Time Machine back up for my MacBook. It's the 2TB USB 3.0 "My Passport" external.

I assume you updated the firmware in the WD hard drive? If so, I wonder if I should (or will need to) update the firmware on this one.

If i need to use windows to update it, that's not going to be good.

Right now it's working just fine but that's plugging it directly into the MacBook's USB 3.0 port.

no the western digital drive worked perfect in the standard mac usb 3.0 port but did not work plugged into the uspeed hub. the hub light would light up telling you it was plugged in but osx never saw it. I had to update the firmware on the usb uspeed hub to get the drive to work. The drive was a western digital passport drive.

To update the firmware on the usb hub I had to extract a zip then a bin file in osx. then move the the resulting file plus an install utility to windows and use a windows installer to install. You had to run the install which just installed the utility itself, delete the firmware the install came with that was in a directory, place the new firmware in the directory that you extracted in osx. then run the firmware utility in windows to install the firmware.

if you dont have the 7 port uspeed hub it should not be an issue for you

Lightning Bolt

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2013
Windy City Suburb
Thanks.

If I find a 7 port powered USB 3.0 hub, I'll have to verify that I won't have a problem using my WD Passport with it.

If so, I might just stick with a 4 port version.

no the western digital drive worked perfect in the standard mac usb 3.0 port but did not work plugged into the uspeed hub. the hub light would light up telling you it was plugged in but osx never saw it. I had to update the firmware on the usb uspeed hub to get the drive to work. The drive was a western digital passport drive.

To update the firmware on the usb hub I had to extract a zip then a bin file in osx. then move the the resulting file plus an install utility to windows and use a windows installer to install. You had to run the install which just installed the utility itself, delete the firmware the install came with that was in a directory, place the new firmware in the directory that you extracted in osx. then run the firmware utility in windows to install the firmware.

if you dont have the 7 port uspeed hub it should not be an issue for you

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Thanks all for the continual comments on these USB 3.0 hubs - still wanting a 4-port and have been looking on Amazon - a Sabrent USB 3.0 4-Port High Powered Hub with 4A Power adapter seems to be a nice choice for $20 at the moment - two 5* ratings and stated to be compatible w/ OS X, but that seems to be an issue w/ these USB 3.0 hubs - not buying yet but a consideration - :)

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Thanks all for the continual comments on these USB 3.0 hubs - still wanting a 4-port and have been looking on Amazon - a Sabrent USB 3.0 4-Port High Powered Hub with 4A Power adapter seems to be a nice choice for $20 at the moment - two 5* ratings and stated to be compatible w/ OS X, but that seems to be an issue w/ these USB 3.0 hubs - not buying yet but a consideration - :)

I've had good luck with Sabrent products (I recently bought one of their USB 3 2.5" HD enclosures for my Seagate XT 500GB drive). As mentioned, 10.8.3 does address USB 3.0, so if you're up-to-date, their hub probably will be fine. (And, of course, Amazon is easy to deal with if there is a problem.)

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
USpeed 7 Port USB Hub 3.0 Conflict with OS X 10.8.3

I am having problems getting all 7 ports to recognize my MacBook Pro Retina Middle 2012. Only three ports, 5, 6, and 7 will communicate with my Mac. AnkerDirect Customer Support advises they have a firmware update that will fix OS X 10.8.2 but OS X 10.8.3 negates the fix. AnkerDirect says they have not fixed the bug as of this date. :(

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Just another 10c worth, I bought a four port D-Link USB 3 hub for my iMac...works fine...I really wanted a larger one, ut as yet they have not brought one out. Four is okay and I hate fiddling around behind my mac. As far as compatibly goes, it's worked with everything I have connected to it, my cameras, my flight sim yoke and pedals, all work without a glitch...Not super expensive either, but If the Belkin had been on sale I would have gone for it.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
And that product page says, "This item is coming soon". How did you get one??

I saw the Belkin 4-port USB 3.0 Hub in the Apple store last week in Las Vegas. It had new packaging. Would be strange if this did not work with the iMac.

Belkin seemed to have a lot of newly packaged products in the Apple Store racks.

Napolke

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
hi - i need a usb 3.0 hub for my 2012 mba, and am unsure which one to get, as it sounds like some are partially incompatible with macs! I'm running os x 10.8.1 mountain lion, if it makes any difference. A 4-port hub would probably be fine, so i've been considering:

trendnet tu3 h4

or
d-link usb 3.0 4 port hub

there's also these ones:

uspeed usb 3.0 4 port hub

and

startech.com 4 port black superspeed usb 3.0 hub

which would be best? I'm currently thinking the d-link might be the one to go for, but would value input from anyone who's had experience of any of these! Thanks

u2713hm

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I am having problems getting all 7 ports to recognize my MacBook Pro Retina Middle 2012. Only three ports, 5, 6, and 7 will communicate with my Mac. AnkerDirect Customer Support advises they have a firmware update that will fix OS X 10.8.2 but OS X 10.8.3 negates the fix. AnkerDirect says they have not fixed the bug as of this date. :(

strange. I have the uspeed also and I didnt have problems with ports working either before or after firmware update on my imac. all ports work fine. I wonder if its specific to retinas. I wonder if the plugable
brand is very different. the hubs look identical except the name.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
strange. I have the uspeed also and I didnt have problems with ports working either before or after firmware update on my imac. all ports work fine. I wonder if its specific to retinas. I wonder if the plugable
brand is very different. the hubs look identical except the name.

I wondered the same thing as most, like yourself, are not having a problem. I returned it and decided to go with the Belkin 4 port 3.0 Hub since the Apple Store is selling that one. I figured, I should not have a software conflict at least.

nismoasfuh

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2013
bumping this as i anticipate the release of that satechi 3.0 usb hub!
i Wonder when it will get released i cant find any more news on it. Seems like there is nothing but problems from usb hubs, hopefully this one is a gem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.