Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, a report revealed that Apple's upcoming "spaceship" campus in Cupertino is both behind schedule and $2 billion over budget. Apple was said to be looking to cut costs on the project, which is apparent in the revised campus plans that it submitted to the city today.

Apple originally planned on constructing a 600,000 square foot area of buildings (known as the Tantau Development) in two phases. Phase 1 was to take place alongside the construction of the main Apple campus, while Phase 2 would be delayed until later.

campus2.jpg
In order to trim 300,000 square feet of construction costs from its budget, Apple has pushed the entire Tantau Development to Phase 2, which means it will be completed after the main campus is built.
Phase 2 includes 600,000 square feet of office, research and development buildings for up to 2,200 employees along North Tantau Avenue, providing flexibility to address future business needs. Construction of Phase 2 will follow completion of Phase 1. The Tantau sites will have small satellite plants.
Apple's revised campus plan includes the addition of an expanded section detailing bicycle access improvements, which comes with an included visualization of what bike pathways and sidewalks might look like on the campus.

campusbikes.jpg
Also notable in the plan is a minor increase to parking availability and updates to public improvements, as well as a new section on Public Art that details four locations where the company plans to install art near the campus.

Apple Campus 2's budget rests near $5 billion, which is said to be because Steve Jobs insisted on design quality and expensive construction methods. The Campus, a circular 2,800,000 square foot 4-story building, is designed to hold 12,000 employees and has a prospective completion date of 2016.

Article Link: Apple Submits Revised Campus 2 Plans, Delays Tantau Development to Cut Costs

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
After reading "The Innovators Dilemma" I now understand the idea behind this project. Very wise choice by Steve.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
My friends who work at Pixar bike from San Fran (take their bikes on the train), a lot of people do. Apple isn't close enough to the city, however I'd like to see Apple give incentives to workers who bike. It'd cut down on traffic, parking lots and long term maintenance costs. The weather is temperate for most of the year.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
My friends who work at Pixar bike from San Fran (take their bikes on the train), a lot of people do. Apple isn't close enough to the city, however I'd like to see Apple give incentives to workers who bike. It'd cut down on traffic, parking lots and long term maintenance costs. The weather is temperate for most of the year.

How about the "incentive" of good health and a greener planet. Isn't that enough of an incentive for bikers/walkers?? Works for me!

Why do some people think the employer needs to pony up in the equation? Walking or biking is the ultimate think global and act local at its finest! I don't need any incentive to act responsible and help the planet for future generations.

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Would love to work in a place like this. Much better than overly tall 100 floor skyscrapers on cramped busy streets.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
How about the "incentive" of good health and a greener planet. Isn't that enough of an incentive for bikers/walkers?? Works for me!

Why do some people think the employer needs to pony up in the equation? Walking or biking is the ultimate think global and act local at its finest! I don't need any incentive to act responsible and help the planet for future generations.

But it's important to provide places to "park" the bikes. If you don't have a safe place to keep your bike, you most likely won't want to cycle to wherever it is you're going. It's not just a moral or fitness thing.

Plenty of city studies and interventions have shown that just the act of providing safe spaces to keep bikes increases the amount of cycling (we went over that in urbanism today lol).

olifds

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
So "Tantau" is the code name for the new Mac Pro, right?

In french the prononciation of Tantau comes from the word ''tantôt'' wich means later! So yes, ''Tantau'' is obviously the new code name for the Mac Pro.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

I recall an article a year or so ago that mentioned that they already do and have for a while. Like $50 a month to any worker, even retail ones, for bike maintenance or transit pass fees.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Excellent points, and I agree completely. Some people do though, until it becomes more common (I hope). :)

----------

I recall an article a year or so ago that mentioned that they already do and have for a while. Like $50 a month to any worker, even retail ones, for bike maintenance or transit pass fees.

Never knew, great info, thanks! :)

maxxumless

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
Could Cut $2 Billion Easy

If they built in Nevada or Texas they would save $2 billion easy. I'm sure they got tax breaks, but nothing near what other states would give. There's states that would actually 'pay' Apple to build that monstrosity.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Pay employees a little more, give free train/bus tickets to those who ride bikes. The. There won't be a brain drain like that of the early 90's.

Derpage

Suspended
Mar 7, 2012
If they built in Nevada or Texas they would save $2 billion easy. I'm sure they got tax breaks, but nothing near what other states would give. There's states that would actually 'pay' Apple to build that monstrosity.

Yeah, but then you would have to live in X, where X is any city that isn't in the Bay Area. The Bay Area is still considered the epicenter of Tech and Tech Capital.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit

Because it saves the company on parking and healthcare costs. hello?

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.