Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlanetExp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Having lots of trouble deciding on some hardware. Just bought a new iMac so budget is kind of tight.

I have an Apogee MiC thats's been sitting beside the computer for the last few days unopened because I cannot decide if I should return it and get a Duet instead.

Here's the thing: I love the simplicity of the MiC, and the idea was to capture ideas wherever I am and try to write music the analog way, improving my skills outside the DAW, with other people. For that the MiC seems perfect except the fact that it doesn't record stereo that would have been great when recording gigs on the fly.

I plan on getting a Duet sooner or later. I could get it now if I return the mic, but then I have to lub around an extra mic, cables and stuff if I want mobile recording, plus it needs power from a wall plug. I don't see it as a big problem but its certainly a lot more hassle than the MiC and the idea of quickly capturing ideas is lost. But then again I'd be more prepared to get something out whatever I record.

I use pen and paper, logic, final cut and sibelius. And I got a condenser mic sitting in a box from the old studio already. On a scale of 10 where 10 is professional musician, I'd say my studio needs at the moment is 2 out of 10 (occasional podcast, some voice-overs and practice runs and ideas) but the forecast in the nearest year is 7 out of 10 (jotting down music, writing basic music for recording later, voice overs).

Can't afford both but I see the Duet as an investment since I plan to get it sooner or later. Probably later.

Many thanks in advance
Fred

P.S. I owned the first Apogee ONE at one point but hated it because it didn't have separate headphone and speaker out, plus the construction felt cheap. Haven't tried the new one. D.S.

tomaseriksson

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I bought a Apogee Duet 2 yesteray, so far Im a happy camper. Very well built metal case, very low latency, most even phantom powered mic's should work without external power supply depending on what headphones and etc you are using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.