Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
I'm confused why $2 billion is a big deal to Apple when they are trying to create the best campus possible. They have more money on hand than the US government and would make that money back relatively quick. Oh well, it's their money, do as they please.

JohnPhamlore

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
I'm curious if Jony Ive intends to ever move his workshop over to the new campus. I would guess the current setup is designed by him to completely optimize his workflow, justifiably so given his importance to the company.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
My friends who work at Pixar bike from San Fran (take their bikes on the train), a lot of people do. Apple isn't close enough to the city, however I'd like to see Apple give incentives to workers who bike. It'd cut down on traffic, parking lots and long term maintenance costs. The weather is temperate for most of the year.

Maybe Apple should give employees an incentive to get out of bed, or an incentive to open the doors manually rather than have automated ones.

Meanwhile, back in the real world of high unemployment where some are lucky to have a job to travel too (incentivised travel or not!!!) ...

----------

I'm curious if Jony Ive intends to ever move his workshop over to the new campus. I would guess the current setup is designed by him to completely optimize his workflow, justifiably so given his importance to the company.

Yes, because we're inundated by Ive designed products daily aren't we!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....Apple was said to be looking to cut costs on the project, which is apparent in the revised campus plans that it submitted to the city today.....

Article Link: Apple Submits Revised Campus 2 Plans, Delays Tantau Development to Cut Costs

Rightly or not, I couldn't imagine SJ to be willing to compromise on this project, his 'baby', had he still been around. Getting it 'just right' would have come ahead of 'saving a couple of billions', which probably would not have been on his radar.

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
But it's important to provide places to "park" the bikes. If you don't have a safe place to keep your bike, you most likely won't want to cycle to wherever it is you're going. It's not just a moral or fitness thing.

Plenty of city studies and interventions have shown that just the act of providing safe spaces to keep bikes increases the amount of cycling (we went over that in urbanism today lol).

in the same way available parking increases the amount of driving. hardly surprising.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
I looked at a website about ambitious architecture that came and went over the years. I'm curious how this will pan out over the next decade. I hope the basic engineering is as detail oriented as the design and finish.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
To compare this to the cost of another huge project: The London Olympics cost about £9 billion (about $14 Billion).

It was £12Bn in the end.

So the new Mac Pro is space ship round? This explains the delays! Also why is it that CGI's of mock ups always have badly lit people with 34 points of light? Whoever put those together should be shot.. Oh they were composited on the 2010 Mac Pro and it couldn't render the images for lack of power..Fair enough!

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Nero fiddled while Rome burned. They are spending time on a stupid building monument instead of understanding they are in a war with Samsung.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
My friends who work at Pixar bike from San Fran (take their bikes on the train), a lot of people do. Apple isn't close enough to the city, however I'd like to see Apple give incentives to workers who bike. It'd cut down on traffic, parking lots and long term maintenance costs. The weather is temperate for most of the year.

Agreed, firms (and governments for that matter) that have the capacity to go all out with this reap the dividends in so many ways..

oh and perhaps I am being petty but it irks me to see the child cycling next to the traffic in that pic. I know its just an artist rendering but adults should always be the ones who cycle next to the cars.

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
oh and perhaps I am being petty but it irks me to see the child cycling next to the traffic in that pic. I know its just an artist rendering but adults should always be the ones who cycle next to the cars.

If the adult is the main wage earner of the household, it may make more sense for the child to be the one next to the cars.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
After our complete and detailed breakdown of the WWDC logo, these plans clearly show Apple likes buildings that look like iOS apps.

:D

Attachments

• wwdc13-about-main.jpg
    wwdc13-about-main.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 84

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
opps...

didn't go as planned, but its still one big, and expensive, spaceship.

I'm just glad to know the article reflected it as one :)

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
burning question is, "will we have free wifi"? :rolleyes:
(referencing the proposal video)

It was an attempt at humor. The person wasn't serious.

----------

The kids are young. I am sure the parents aren't that attached yet.

----------

Nero fiddled while Rome burned. They are spending time on a stupid building monument instead of understanding they are in a war with Samsung.

Perhaps having a place to keep it's employees happy so they don't leave might be important.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Would love to work in a place like this. Much better than overly tall 100 floor skyscrapers on cramped busy streets.

Those cramped busy streets have endless variety and fascination at your feet. A sterile suburban sprawl campus does not.

To each his own.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Yeah, but then you would have to live in X, where X is any city that isn't in the Bay Area. The Bay Area is still considered the epicenter of Tech and Tech Capital.

Yep, even though Austin, TX is on the rise.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I wonder what stockholders think about this overpriced monument to Steve? This is money that could have been invested in other ways or returned to them.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
just to get some perspective, that's at minimum 10 times the cost to build a new home.

Really? Around here construction costs for a cheaply built home are closer to $250/foot. I would think that in the Bay Area costs are easily as much or more.

I suppose if you build a house with no basement and no furnace, costs are lower, like in Florida. But $170/foot? Really? Wow.

----------

I truly understand how much cash on hand Apple deals with but HOW do you get two BILLION dollars over budget? :eek:

If you are dealing with 100 billion, then 2 billion is easy.

Kind of like if you tell your kid to pick out a toy for 10.00 and it ends up, with tax, at $10.20.

----------

I looked at a website about ambitious architecture that came and went over the years. I'm curious how this will pan out over the next decade. I hope the basic engineering is as detail oriented as the design and finish.

I hope that utility was as important to the architect as the way things look. Otherwise, we could be dealing with another Power Mac G4 here. Indeed, from the looks of things, I wouldn't be surprised if that is exactly what we are dealing with here.

You always trip on that uneven floor? The protruding banister always catches your jacket and rips it? You need to take a circuitous route because of misplaced doors? Don't walk like that!

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
in the same way available parking increases the amount of driving. hardly surprising.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious. I was just thinking that, if they're taking time to add more car parks, it's going to take away incentive from cycling to work. Which seems to go against the image they're giving of the building and it's surroundings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.