Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sircrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
Has anyone tried the Monoprice IPS displays[1] with their mac pro? They claim that they are not mac compatible but provide little details on why or why not. From the reviews it seems most have tried them with either MBPs or Minis using displayport->dvi adapters so that could be the source of incompatibility.

I've got an early 2008 pro with an aftermarket radeon 5770, which, AFAICT, should support those displays just fine. Just don't want to bite the bullet and run into issues later..

[1] http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=113&cp_id=11307#1130703

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
About every two or three months you can get a great deal on a proper monitor such as a Dell Ultrasharp with a great stuck pixel guarantee. For example, here is the U2713HM for $504 from just a week ago. That model has great blacks, is factory calibrated for sRGB, and reviews really well.

Or you can get an off-brand Korean equivalent monitor that everyone says are built with LG panels rejected by the higher quality monitor brands. You'll get a wobbly stand with no tilt or swivel. Pixel guarantee doesn't kick in till 5 dead pixels. As you've already mentioned, it may or may not even work with a Mac. It looks like the Monoprice SKU10489 is the closest to the Dell and for all that trouble you'd save... $30. If you were talking about SKU9579, you'd save about $100 but that one is even more barebones.

Either way, I'd spend the extra money and get a proper nice monitor.

If you can wait a while, I suggest making an account on slickdeals.net and adding an alert for monitors or maybe even specifically "ultrasharp". The next time one comes up on sale, you'll get an email.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
i seen one guy on here who couldnt get it working but on his mini i have had one pf those korean shimians that i had working for about a week but sold it because i heard stories about how bad they are and can cause like house fires and other stuff

macamacamac

Suspended
Dec 8, 2005
Need to use the Dual Link DVI Cable

I don't think you can just plug in a standard DVI cable into these monitors. You need to use the $99 Dual link DVI cable that apple sells.

sircrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
I don't think you can just plug in a standard DVI cable into these monitors. You need to use the $99 Dual link DVI cable that apple sells.

I think you're thinking of the mini-displayport to dual DVI adapter which does indeed sell for $99. The DVI cables are standard....

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
While I love Monoprice for cables and adapters, I wouldn't buy their IPS displays. Price isn't that much cheaper than a "real" brand like Dell. You don't save that much but you lose so much more.

sircrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
While I love Monoprice for cables and adapters, I wouldn't buy their IPS displays. Price isn't that much cheaper than a "real" brand like Dell. You don't save that much but you lose so much more.

Well if you don't need all the extra connectors (and I don't) then you get the same display for about $110 cheaper than the best sale price on a Dell. What else are you losing? Built-in speakers? I agree that the pixel policy is not ideal though..

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
I have two of these connected to my Mac Pro, and love them. The stand that they come with sucks chunks, so I added a dual-panel VESA stand.

The only issue I've had with one of them: they're powered by power bricks, which is interesting. I've had one of them die; Auria replaced it free of charge in less than a week.

jas

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Well if you don't need all the extra connectors (and I don't) then you get the same display for about $110 cheaper than the best sale price on a Dell. What else are you losing? Built-in speakers? I agree that the pixel policy is not ideal though..

No on screen display menu means only basic adjustments; I don't see physical buttons for RGB, Tint, etc., so if it is skewed one way or the other I don't see how you will be able to adjust it. Pixel policy not as good. Wobbly stand that's so weak just touching the buttons causes the monitor to sway around. Stand is not adjustable for tilt or rotation. Reputation for cheap power supplies that fail, and reputation for screens that fail (at least you get a warranty with Monoprice). Reputation for using panels that are rejected by Apple, Dell, etc., for not meeting their quality standards, which probably means poor colors, backlight bleeding, dead pixels, or stuck pixels. Lack of inputs. Lack of USB hub. It won't be factory calibrated like the Dell. Glossy screen acts like a mirror instead of a display unless you are in a dark room. Many complaints about not working with Macs. Poor black levels.

Have you read the reviews on Monoprice?

"As a result, on a flat desktop, my copy of this monitor actually tilts slightly to the right which requires me to stick a wad of paper underneath the right side of the based to straighten things."

"light bleed around the edges"

I love Monoprice cables because they are inexpensive and TOP QUALITY. I cannot say the same about their monitors, which appear to be designed for the absolute cheapest price possible.

But hey, to each his or her own. If none of this bothers you, go ahead and save the hundred bucks.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

It's not the "same" display. LCD panels have letter grades that determine the level of standard it has passed during inspection/testing. I'm not sure what kind of grade Monoprice is using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.