Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Must be a bug in the CIA/FBI/HLS data snooping program. I'm sure they will work it out soon.

Where did I put that tinfoil hat. . . :rolleyes:

senenami

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2013
Missing Phrases

Yup. Just copied the sent text and I can see the missed out phrases....

If I had to take a guess I would say it's a small bug that the bubble isn't wide enough and Obama gets wrapped to the next line (and you can't see it)

Source: I'm a developer and I've worked on an app where we had chat bubbles like that and I had a bug where the bubble size wasn't calculated properly and it ended up a bit like that

guineapig

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
Italy
This bug affects 0,000001% of people using iMessage that aren't trying to reproduce it.
The real question is does this really require an headline article? :confused:

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
On a slightly unrelated note, is anyone else having problems sending iMessages today/tonight? Mine seem to hang at 'Sending...' for a while then sends the message as an SMS instead?

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
For someone who runs software projects, these bugs are almost impossible to find in testing. Takes real world users to find weird things like this.

Tell me about it. Software development would be a great job if it weren't for the bloody customers :p

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Don't type these phrases in you imbeciles! Apple blocks these phrases because they could be used to awake KGB sleeper agents.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
This is defintely not the NSA, like that one user tries to point it to...

You can test it out, and even if you change "I could be the next Odama " as the phrase it still gets deleted.

The problem is that the message app, thinks the phrase will fit in a one line bubble, but it actually puts the last word on a hidden second line.

It works with these two phrases because they are the exact width needed, and it is not based on character count, but character width. For example, "l" is skinner than a "w".

Below are 5 w's and i's, they have different lengths, which are not coralated to character count.

lllll
wwwww

Even the phrase "I old ube the next Obamac " will truncate the last word, because the string width is exactly the same, because all the same characters are being used.

Last edited:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I suspect something like this also happens internally at Apple on many iMessages, emails and even physical conversations whenever the word 'Pro' is at the end of a sentence…

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Not happening to me. With the space at the end. Tried 3 times.

Edit: Never mind, it was fine on the sending end (iPad) but the bug happened on the receiving end (iPhone).

mdben

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
Annapolis, MD
I'm actually very glad to see this problem get some coverage. I noticed this problem back in December and had been working with a senior Apple technician for months. It appeared that iOS 6.1 had resolved the problem but I guess not completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.