Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, but now the free version of Carbon Copy Cloner complains it won't run and that I need to upgrade...however the new version is not freeware it seems?

Anyone know if it's possible to run CCC on Mountail Lion using the FREEWARE version?

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
there is not a version of CCC but you can use super duper, it has also a nicer interface and no nasty ads.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Actually, as far as I remember the older versions of CCC do run under Mountain Lion, only warn you against it. I believe the point is it doesn't properly work with the recovery partition.
Luckily there are a few "create recovery partition" scripts floating around the web (Google it), so if my memory serves me correctly, it's OK to use CCC and then run a script after a reboot. Actually this is what I did with the last ad/freeware version of the CCC.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, but now the free version of Carbon Copy Cloner complains it won't run and that I need to upgrade...however the new version is not freeware it seems?

Anyone know if it's possible to run CCC on Mountail Lion using the FREEWARE version?

You can still use the free 3.4.7 version with ML and it is fully functional, it just has not been tested by the developer. Read this post from the dev. for more info.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can use version 3.5.1 ($40) or 3.4.7 (free, and works well on OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8). It just hasn't been tested on ML, but it works fine.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
You can use version 3.5.1 ($40) or 3.4.7 (free, and works well on OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8). It just hasn't been tested on ML, but it works fine.

OK thanks, I will just ignore the warning message then :)

When I bought and ran Mountain Lion from the App Store, it didn't create the rescue partition anyway it seems. How come?

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Also, SuperDuper! will not clone the recovery partition.

How do I load and run the recovery partition to see if my ML upgrade did in fact create it?

And does the free version and old version of CCC clone the recovery partition?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If both work the same, why do people pay for the latest version? Why not just use the free version?
Many people do. Both work just the same.

Carbon Copy Cloner's Transition to a Commercial Product: Frequently Asked Questions
Can I continue using the older version that is "donationware"?
Yes, absolutely. If you are currently using CCC and have not donated in the past, you are welcome to continue using any version up to and including 3.4.7 as long as you like without purchasing a license. Note, however, that previous versions of CCC are not qualified against Mountain Lion and we are no longer developing older versions of CCC.
As I went to clone my Mountain Lion, I got this message:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o07piksqj69pajx/Screen Shot 2013-04-27 at 8.26.54 AM.png

What shall I do now?
Did you read the whole message? It tells you what to do:

gsduYsllE0JvoMB2RIUYhe9E4w2aeOaNkcgnqAZ_x6s.png

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Interesting, I opened CCC again, but this time it doesn't give me that option for rescue partition. So I just continue?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Learn how to use Disk Utility or set up Time Machine instead of using CCC.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There's no need to do that, unless someone simply wants to use TM. Time Machine cannot create bootable clones of your drive like CCC can.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
OK thanks, I will just ignore the warning message then :)

When I bought and ran Mountain Lion from the App Store, it didn't create the rescue partition anyway it seems. How come?

A Mountain Lion install will create a recovery partition. There is no way to stop it from creating one actually. Just type "diskutil list" without the quotes in Terminal and you should see the 650mb recovery hd partition.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012

I have been there and done that, I would never use TM ever again! I love CCC:)

----------

By the way GGJstudios, in ML, it doesn't seem to work to follow the steps to uninstall apps. How do I do it on ML?

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I have been there and done that, I would never use TM ever again! I love CCC:)

If you are looking for a 100% clone copy then Disk Utility is the (only) way to go. CCC cannot perform a perfect clone and neither can any other third party app. At least not as long as they are running in userland because files will be locked while OS X is booted. You can run Disk Utility without booting into OS X.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you are looking for a 100% clone copy then Disk Utility is the (only) way to go. CCC cannot perform a perfect clone and neither can any other third party app. At least not as long as they are running in userland because files will be locked while OS X is booted. You can run Disk Utility without booting into OS X.
For anything short of forensic level cloning, CCC clones work perfectly fine and don't require rebooting. That makes it far more usable for regular backup purposes, and will more than satisfy all but a very few users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.