Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leveland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
I have an iPod Touch 32 GB, iOS 5.0.1, Jailbroken. At iTunes, the free space is low, because the friggin "Other" Space is above 20 GB!

bVKTkpL.png

From the pic above, the details are :
Audio = 191 Songs
Video = 1 Video (8 minutes)
Photos = 428 Pics, 8 Videos (< 10 minutes)
Apps = 81 Apps
Other = ?

What is the "Other" Files, and how to reduce that file?

For Jailbroken, is there no other solution than Un-Jailbreak and Restore?
For Non-Jailbroken, how to resolve it?

Thanks in Advance :)

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
its jailbroken. other is tweaks, cydia repos, and other jailbreak stuff.

nonsense.

loads of stuff appear under the "other" banner - including the OS, cache files, messages, preferences, safari junk, etc.

there is no way the OP could have installed 20GB worth of cydia tweaks.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/25/what-is-the-iphone-other-capacity-seen-in-itunes/

2OP: try using icleaner if your device is jailbroken or there is an app you can download to your PC and use it to clean your phone by connecting the USB cable to it... name escapes me right now.

or you could try this:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/18/itunes-other-capacity-taking-up-tons-of-space-fix/

halduauthor

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2013
Phone Clean

the app is Phone Clean, find it here There are a lot of things that can cause the build up in the Other category. One of the big causes is corrupted files that started downloading but never finished. I don't know about the jailbreak stuff though.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I use Phone Clean but it only reduces my Other file buy a bit. Mine is only 1.32 GB which I hear is okay and I don't or will ever have my iPod Touch 5th Gen jailbroken.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I have an iPod Touch 32 GB, iOS 5.0.1, Jailbroken. At iTunes, the free space is low, because the friggin "Other" Space is above 20 GB!

From the pic above, the details are :
Audio = 191 Songs
Video = 1 Video (8 minutes)
Photos = 428 Pics, 8 Videos (< 10 minutes)
Apps = 81 Apps
Other = ?

What is the "Other" Files, and how to reduce that file?

other is anything that isn't one of those listed items. So contacts, calendars, other in app data including emails, safari cache files, reading list items etc. yes it can also be incomplete OTA downloads and that type of thing.

On a non jailbroken phone the recommendation is to go through your reading list and delete stuff you read but left and don't need, clear any BS out of your camera roll like bad photos you never got around to deleting or stuff you already imported to computer and don't have to have on your device. Then back up the rest and erase and rebuild.

On a jailbroken the same would be true but you can't just erase off the device. You'll have to make sure you have all the necessary bits to restore and rebreak which might be tricky since the restore will try to update you to the latest software your device can handle. So sort out what that is and can you move forward.

If a restore and jailbreak isn't possible you could try cleaning out the safari caches, reading list. Your camera roll. Delete any tweaks and apps you aren't using and then power cycle or even try a hard reset and see if that kills a little bit of fluff.

Leveland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
2OP: try using icleaner if your device is jailbroken or there is an app you can download to your PC and use it to clean your phone by connecting the USB cable to it... name escapes me right now.

Sorry for posting this late.
I tried iCleaner and it only deletes 2-3 gigabytes of Other space. So there's still 16.8 Gigabytes remain. How's that possible? I tried import all of my pics and musics, so the remain is Apps and Other. I want to try the second suggestion now

EDIT : Used Phone Cleaner, it only covers up 234 kilobytes (I'm not joking) of Other. What should i do now?

Last edited:

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I tried iCleaner and it only deletes 2-3 gigabytes of Other space. So there's still 16.8 Gigabytes remain. How's that possible? I tried import all of my pics and musics, so the remain is Apps and Other. I want to try the second suggestion now

EDIT : Used Phone Cleaner, it only covers up 234 kilobytes (I'm not joking) of Other. What should i do now?

I am in the same boat as you, my theory is there is so bug in some kind of jailbreak tweak or cydia that creates fake files bigger then they actually are. I have a 11gb "other" if was only 5gb before I jailbroke, according to cydia my tweaks nowhere near even a GB of space. I have never found an explanation to this mystery.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.

here you go mate:

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/1ez4f7/psa_the_guide_to_cleaning_up_your_other_section/

Leveland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013

Thanks mate! Now my free space is up to 10 Gigabytes!
nDEOgry.png

Now i'm enjoying the 10 GB happiness, i'm still wary on the other files. As far as i know, my usage at Jailbroken apps were:
-I don't have any additional themes on WinterBoard
-Used AppCake to download jailbroken apps (Cleared all downloads recently)
-Used Chronus as Game backup
-Used MxTube to download Youtube videos (About 2,2 GB total on iFile)

Did any of these conditions make the Other files bigger?
As stated in first post, how to reduce that (again)?

Sorry for asking too much questions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.