Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
How do I get it to open in normal view by default?? This looks horrible!!!

Now there is a completely unneeded border around the screen making the actual screen size smaller, why the hell do they keep doing stuff like this??!!!!

Last edited:

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Do you mean the Wikipedia mobile site?

If so. Yes it's pretty annoying. I just switch over to desktop view using the link at the bottom of the page.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
The original poster should be more clear what they are referring to. And I'm not sure why this is posted in the iPhone forum.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
The original poster should be more clear what they are referring to. And I'm not sure why this is posted in the iPhone forum.

Because it is Wikipedias mobile site in Safari, which is accessed from my iPhone.

----------

If so. Yes it's pretty annoying. I just switch over to desktop view using the link at the bottom of the page.
Yes, isn't Quick View only for the mobile site? And yes it's extremely annoying. I am so fed up with them changing stuff for no reason.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

Have you found a workaround yet?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

He's talking about google searching on an iPhone and trying to click on Wikipedia articles in the results. Clicking the link no longer goes to Wikipedia, but rather just shows you the wiki-info in a pop-up box. You have to manually click "View Original" to actually go to Wikipedia.

I am assuming this is yet another attempt by Google to keep you stuck on their site instead of sending you off to Wikipedia, which is kind of a search competitor in a way.

Yes, it kind of sucks.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
He's talking about google searching on an iPhone and trying to click on Wikipedia articles in the results. Clicking the link no longer goes to Wikipedia, but rather just shows you the wiki-info in a pop-up box. You have to manually click "View Original" to actually go to Wikipedia.

I am assuming this is yet another attempt by Google to keep you stuck on their site instead of sending you off to Wikipedia, which is kind of a search competitor in a way.

Yes, it kind of sucks.

Yes it's extremely annoying. Any workaround yet?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Because it is Wikipedias mobile site in Safari, which is accessed from my iPhone.

----------

Yes, isn't Quick View only for the mobile site? And yes it's extremely annoying. I am so fed up with them changing stuff for no reason.

Why not just use the full site then?

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
All you have to do is click view original at the top of the screen. It doesn't seem that difficult.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
All you have to do is click view original at the top of the screen. It doesn't seem that difficult.

One time it's not, but to have to do it every single time is a huge hassle. More importantly, I shouldn't have to. Especially since the purported reason for this modification is to speed up the process. While it does do that initially it cuts out a good portion of the screen and therefore negates it's purpose since you end up having to revert to the old way anyway, and in fact ends up taking more time.

It pisses me off bc it doesn't improve the user experience at all, and is solely done to increase Googles control of the web and therefore its profits while masquerading itself as being done in the interest of the consumer

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

I'm sorry this is absolutely ridiculous. Who the hell does Google think they are? I seriously hope someone comes along with their same algorithm and eliminates them and returns to the simplicity of the original search engine.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I'm sorry this is absolutely ridiculous. Who the hell does Google think they are? I seriously hope someone comes along with their same algorithm and eliminates them and returns to the simplicity of the original search engine.

It's not that big of a deal. lol.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I've also noticed quickview loading on wikipedia recently but it doesn't really bother me that much. It loads really fast. Also, it doesn't really take up that much screen space. Wikipedia still renders fine, and I can see the whole page, so it doesn't make a big difference to me.

In hindsight, you're probably saving data too - which is nice.

Only bad part is that the pages might not be updated all the way - but if you need that - just load the full page.

While it does do that initially it cuts out a good portion of the screen and therefore negates it's purpose since you end up having to revert to the old way anyway, and in fact ends up taking more time.

I haven't noticed this but I might not be udnerstanding what you are tlaking about

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
It's not that big of a deal. lol.

Yeah it is, it's extremely annoying to have to do that every single time and also completely unnecessary.

----------

I've also noticed quickview loading on wikipedia recently but it doesn't really bother me that much. It loads really fast. Also, it doesn't really take up that much screen space. Wikipedia still renders fine, and I can see the whole page, so it doesn't make a big difference to me.

In hindsight, you're probably saving data too - which is nice.

Only bad part is that the pages might not be updated all the way - but if you need that - just load the full page.

I haven't noticed this but I might not be udnerstanding what you are tlaking about

There is now a huge ugly border around the page for no reason which reduces the screen size by probably 33%.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I just switched to bing and now problem fixed. I switched on my mac safari as well since when i search it lets me earn points towards free xbox points.

I trust Microsoft much more than i would ever trust google anymore. I would change my email from gmail as well if it wasn't so much of a hassle.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I just switched to bing and now problem fixed. I switched on my mac safari as well since when i search it lets me earn points towards free xbox points.

I trust Microsoft much more than i would ever trust google anymore. I would change my email from gmail as well if it wasn't so much of a hassle.

Gmail is still much better than Hotmail/Outlook, and I think the cleanness of Google's original search page is still unmatched. It's the search results that they keep messing with, it's driving me insane.

coolio93

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Houston, TX
I actually love the quick view feature. It loads quickly, I can see the first few lines and that's usually enough to answer my question. I find it more efficient but that's just me lol

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I actually love the quick view feature. It loads quickly, I can see the first few lines and that's usually enough to answer my question. I find it more efficient but that's just me lol

Yeah but that ridiculous border around it

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
lol, I was gonna post about this. It loads faster, but yeah, it's annoying

Ya it ends up taking much longer because you have to switch back. Is this permanent? If so I might lose my freaking mind.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Use yahoo. It's a better search. Don't get scroggled

Yahoo doesn't have their own search. They use Bing. Bing is ok, but I often find their results lacking compared to Google especially when it comes to recently updated content. Try searching for something like "HTC One" and the top results on Bing are about the phones released last year not the new HTC One. I see this quite often.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Yahoo doesn't have their own search. They use Bing. Bing is ok, but I often find their results lacking compared to Google especially when it comes to recently updated content. Try searching for something like "HTC One" and the top results on Bing are about the phones released last year not the new HTC One. I see this quite often.

Yeah, exactly Google has a monopoly on search engines. Don't you find this quick view format to be extremely annoying?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.