Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Do you guys find this happening to you? In my household, we have multiple tablets and multiple computers. But yet, I find myself using my iPhone the most even when at home. It's almost like it takes extra effort to use those other devices when my iPhone is always nearby.

Not entirely sure how to feel about this - I can't be the only one out there.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I find this a little crazy myself, the phone is fine for quick browsing/looking up something specific, but actually using the internet? Laptop hands down. It's like choosing between watching something on my laptop of my TV, sure, my laptop will do in a pinch, but if I'm at home, 99% of the time I'd rather use the extra 27" of screen that the TV gives me.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Do you guys find this happening to you? In my household, we have multiple tablets and multiple computers. But yet, I find myself using my iPhone the most even when at home. It's almost like it takes extra effort to use those other devices when my iPhone is always nearby.

Not entirely sure how to feel about this - I can't be the only one out there.

That's what my wife does, but personally I prefer my laptop.

Yup, you and Maflynn's wife...that's it.

The rest of us use tablets or computers.

You're pretty much out there by yourself.

It's not strange or anything...

Really...

It's OK...

:rolleyes: ;)

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
Not for me. Web browsing can be done on the iPhone, but not as comfortably or quickly as a laptop. I find my phone highly functional when I need it but less than desirable when I have other better options at my side.

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
27" IPS LED screen, a roccat kone+ on icemat, and a Filco mech board :)

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I sort or misstated the title of the thread. The iPhone is not my primary Internet device at home - in other words, I could never rely solely on it. But I just find myself using it a heck of a lot at home. Much more than I initially expected given that its just a phone.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I'm the same way. I have no issue browsing the internet on my iPhone, even for an extended period. I've even typed a 500 word essay on the notepad before. Sometimes it's just more convenient to use it.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
At home in my room I am using my MBA when I am in bed for the internet. When I put my MBA away, when I am still in bed, I will get my iphone out for more internet usage, for example checking facebook etc. When I am downstairs watching the tv, I will 95% of my time will be on the internet on my iPhone. Thats how I use it at home.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I do! but it's so illogical.

Sometimes I'd been seating with my laptop open and certain tasks compell me to immediately reach for the phone, then I pause and go, WTF, why, I can do this on the laptop!

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
It depends on what I need to do. If I do something that requires a lot of typing, I will pull out my PC or tablet (with keyboard dock). If I plan to just read mostly, I use my phone. For checking what's on TV, I have my TV Listings web site bookmarked and it is faster to check the programming on my phone than to fire up my PC.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
It's all about the iPad whenever I'm at home. iPhone is just for calls or texts.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think people are missing what the op is saying.

I'm sure if he is going to sit down a research something, the computer is still the better option. But let's be honest, most of us, on our free time at home, are on the couch. Now what is more convenient? Getting up and going to the pc, or pulling the phone outbid your pocket? It would have to be the latter for me. I don't have a laptop sitting around, so that's out. We do have an iPad, but my wife is usually playing some game like bejeweled (totally worth the money we spent in that device...)

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I think people are missing what the op is saying.

I'm sure if he is going to sit down a research something, the computer is still the better option. But let's be honest, most of us, on our free time at home, are on the couch. Now what is more convenient? Getting up and going to the pc, or pulling the phone outbid your pocket? It would have to be the latter for me. I don't have a laptop sitting around, so that's out. We do have an iPad, but my wife is usually playing some game like bejeweled (totally worth the money we spent in that device...)

Yep, that's exactly it. I'm typing on my laptop now, but only because I was doing some work and got temporarily sidetracked. If I'm sitting on the couch or lying in bed, the first thing I reach for is my iPhone because it's just always there. I could get my iPad, but that would take a little extra effort. Why bother if the iPhone can do everything my iPad can. It's ALMOST making my iPad redundant, except that the bigger screen of the iPad is much better for extended reading sessions and watching videos.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
If I'm sitting on the couch or lying in bed, the first thing I reach for is my iPhone because it's just always there. I could get my iPad, but that would take a little extra effort. Why bother if the iPhone can do everything my iPad can.

It's the other way around for me - I use my iPad for internet considerably more than my iPhone, which has almost been made redundant in my home if not for the actual phone role. The difference in screen size, plus the way the iPad usually reads pages in the standard way (as opposed to reduced mobile sites), makes it the obvious choice for me.

Which iPhone do you use, out of curiosity?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I can never get near either of the 2 iPads in my household. So for me I probably use the iMac most and then the iPhone, but I understand where the OP is coming from. If I'm downstairs watching the TV and an advert comes on I always reach for the phone to either play a game or get a quick fix of MR!

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I don't have any problems using it for browsing the web when I'm not at home, but it would drive me a bit nuts always working on that small screen 100% of the time. Plus the screen on my RMBP is too beautiful not to use... :p

I find this a little crazy myself, the phone is fine for quick browsing/looking up something specific, but actually using the internet? Laptop hands down. It's like choosing between watching something on my laptop of my TV, sure, my laptop will do in a pinch, but if I'm at home, 99% of the time I'd rather use the extra 27" of screen that the TV gives me.

Really? I definitely prefer using my RMBP to watch movies and TV shows. Paired with my Denon headphones, I find it a much more immersive experience than watching something on a TV. Maybe that's just because I don't have a surround sound system. It just seems like I can get more into the story having the screen right in my face.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
More for consultation, when I am out and about I definitely get my news fix as well as email etc. from my phone. At home though the only thing I generally do is use my weather app (WeatherPro) or remote if I'm streaming music or ... phone calls. :D

Though when I watch TV shows or movies checking wiki or IMDB can be fun too.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.