Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeycid

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Hi guys,

So, I've managed to install Windows 8 on my rMBP fairly easily. The only snag was having to install Windows 7 beforehand and then reformatting and running BootCamp again to install Windows 8. Other than that, I didn't have to do anything other than follow the onscreen instructions.

Anyway, I wanted to ask what settings people have changed to get Windows 8 up and running on their rMBP's. Resolution, display and other settings, etc.

So far I've only disabled automatic brightness adjuster to stop Windows from darkening my screen unnecessarily. But I'd like to hear from you guys what settings you've changed to get comfortable with Windows 8.

On a side note, how do we close open windows? And, where is that silly 'Browser Choice' thing that Windows Update downloads located so I may delete it?

plbp15

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
Hi guys,

So, I've managed to install Windows 8 on my rMBP fairly easily. The only snag was having to install Windows 7 beforehand and then reformatting and running BootCamp again to install Windows 8. Other than that, I didn't have to do anything other than follow the onscreen instructions.

Anyway, I wanted to ask what settings people have changed to get Windows 8 up and running on their rMBP's. Resolution, display and other settings, etc.

So far I've only disabled automatic brightness adjuster to stop Windows from darkening my screen unnecessarily. But I'd like to hear from you guys what settings you've changed to get comfortable with Windows 8.

On a side note, how do we close open windows? And, where is that silly 'Browser Choice' thing that Windows Update downloads located so I may delete it?

A little of topic here. Why did you have to install windows 7 before?
Im trying to install windows 8 without bootcamp, because my bootcamp cant find any USB or Disk.
Im having all kinds of problems. Currently ive managed to pass through the ''press a key to boot from cd or dvd'' (something like that) after that i get a windows 8 logo and Im stuck there... Some help?

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
A little of topic here. Why did you have to install windows 7 before?
Im trying to install windows 8 without bootcamp, because my bootcamp cant find any USB or Disk.
Im having all kinds of problems. Currently ive managed to pass through the ''press a key to boot from cd or dvd'' (something like that) after that i get a windows 8 logo and Im stuck there... Some help?

I'm going to guess but he probably bought the $39 upgrade version. While it does allow for a clean install you do have to have an earlier version of Windows already installed.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
As a tip for next time, you can also call Microsoft. Provided you have a valid license for Windows 7 or earlier, they'll activate it manually by remote for you.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
But that i dont want. I just want windows 8 running well on my machine

Get a full version of Windows 8 then, i've installed every single version of Win8 Microsoft offer to activate my education keys on my MacbookPro. All the FULL versions work fine, and upgrades work off Windows 7.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
As a tip for next time, you can also call Microsoft. Provided you have a valid license for Windows 7 or earlier, they'll activate it manually by remote for you.

No, if you bought the $39 special upgrade deal, the installation stops so you can't even get to the activation page. I just went through this so I'm sure about it.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
No, if you bought the $39 special upgrade deal, the installation stops so you can't even get to the activation page. I just went through this so I'm sure about it.

Well, that is problematic.

Does it force you to enter the product key? I've found that sometimes you can skip entering it in setup and wait till you've booted Windows (at which point you have more options).

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Well, that is problematic.

Does it force you to enter the product key? I've found that sometimes you can skip entering it in setup and wait till you've booted Windows (at which point you have more options).
No, it just stopped and would not continue. Only option I had was to either exit or reboot. I don't remember exactly which.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.