Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
The hard drive on my 1Ghz iBook randomly makes crazy noises like skrillix and the entire unit freezes. I have another IDE hard drive laying around. I saw the tear-down on iFixit and it is hella complicated. Anyone have practical knowledge on the teardown time and reassembly?

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
The hard drive on my 1Ghz iBook randomly makes crazy noises like skrillix and the entire unit freezes. I have another IDE hard drive laying around. I saw the tear-down on iFixit and it is hella complicated. Anyone have practical knowledge on the teardown time and reassembly?

IFixit is the best and only way to replace a hard drive.

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
Yes iFixit is pretty much todays standard in every repair I do.I just upgraded my ibook hdd and your gonna be pretty much taking it down to the frame so if you ever wanted to do any thermal paste or ANYTHING else I would go ahead and knock it out.It really dont take that long and is really simple with the guide,I always trace my laptop on paper and circle where the screws I take out go since you take a lot of them out.The locations where the case snaps on is the worst parts but a good spludger makes it easy the ifixit guide makes it seem hard when the say "trying times ahead" and stuff like that.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
He said he has one and I wouldn't call OWC's IDE HDDs exactly cheap IMO.

Correct-- but owc has quality drives....

----------

iFixit is an excellent resource. I used them to replace my 2008 iMac's drive.
:apple::apple:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Correct-- but owc has quality drives....

OWC's drives are just rebranded Seagate/WD drives. Mostly WD now as 2.5" PATA drives are not being made anymore. What's left and being sold as new is just old stock from WD.

Last edited:

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
OWC's drives are just rebranded Seagate/WD drives. Mostly WD now as 2.5" PATA drives are being made anymore. What's left and being sold as new is just old stock.

I had no idea they were rebranding those--- thanks!

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
i need to just make sure I set aside the correct amount of time to do this.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I ended up replacing the drive today. The only fatality is I pulled the speaker connector right off the motherboard. No sound now. Oh well headphones are te way to go anyway. The whole thing took about two hours. It's installing leopard right now.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
I ended up replacing the drive today. The only fatality is I pulled the speaker connector right off the motherboard. No sound now. Oh well headphones are te way to go anyway. The whole thing took about two hours. It's installing leopard right now.

It tooke me 3 days to just open the ibook, 2 hours to replace the hard drive and 2 days to put it back together.

:(

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Have done this a number of times..a few pointers

-use plastic baggies to number ifixit photo # and also put in little notes about screws ect

-when taking the cover off..use a small thin flathead screwdriver and use a up and down motion to release clips...do not twist!

-use same small thin flathead screwdriver to release power/sound connections ect (don't pull!)

i have done ibooks/powerbooks ect...it looks harder then it really is...take your time and should take 1-2 hours

DarkSel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
You have it easy, man. My Powerbook G4 12" was a freaking nightmare to take apart (the first time). The iBooks are much easier to repair/replace the hard drive.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
OWC's drives are just rebranded Seagate/WD drives. Mostly WD now as 2.5" PATA drives are not being made anymore. What's left and being sold as new is just old stock from WD.

Hey Intell,

Do you have a source for this info? If this is true then that drastically cuts the price of a "new" HDD for my iBook when I can afford it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Hey Intell,

Do you have a source for this info? If this is true then that drastically cuts the price of a "new" HDD for my iBook when I can afford it.

OWC's PATA drives have the same manufacture ID as a WD drive and some drive utilites label them as WD drives. WD's site no longer lists 2.5" drives as being within their product lineup and I remember reading an article on Engadget about how 2.5" PATA drives aren't made anymore and only WD still makes 3.5" ones in limited numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.