Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For developers and prospective WWDC attendees who did not manage to secure a ticket during the two minutes they were on sale, there is an alternate event happening in San Francisco right near the Moscone Center.

AltWWDC is a free and open event that is designed to allow developers to meet and mingle. It features five days of talks from a range of well known developers like Daniel Jalkut of Red Sweater Software and NetNewsWire creator Brent Simmons.

altwwdc.jpg
The alternate conference takes place at the same time as Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, from June 10 to June 14. It is located at the SF State Downtown Campus, which is a block away from Moscone.

Along with speakers, AltWWDC will offer a keynote breakfast where live WWDC feeds will be displayed and lunch will be provided each day. A co-working space with WiFi and coffee will also be available.

Tickets for AltWWDC are free and can be obtained from the website.

Article Link: AltWWDC Offers Free Alternative for Developers Without WWDC Tickets

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
This sounds like a great idea, not only for developers who couldn't get tickets but for the event in general. With free admission, it could help draw a huge attendance.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Cool

It's like a jailbroken WWDC!

I do really like the idea and think this a great thing for people who really wanted to go to WWDC

M

Mr.damien

Sounds better than the real WWDC!

Sure, it sucks so much to meet people that created the stuff you are using to develop or to see all the annoucement in live.

Better be with losers that didn't catch a ticket and will tell you nothing more you can read on a blog.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
This is silly on so many levels.... WWDC's draw should be obvious but let's run down just a few major points.

- Get news, developer builds, etc for the latest and greatest IOS AND OSX.

- a longshot MIGHT even include new hardware news.

- get face to face with the brains behind the too numorous to list SDKs & APIs.

- perhaps even get an answer as to why 'some code' isn't working as expected

- learn massive amounts of into in an extremely compressed period of time.

- last but not least... Apple's Bash .... They still do that right?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I wonder if they'll get in trouble for using WWDC in the name... surely that's protected by Apple, at least in copyright?

They would be pretty dumb to take any legal action. The worst they would ever do (not that they will) is a quiet word with the organisers asking them to change it for next year.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
This is a really awesome idea!

Yes it's hard to beat an Apple hosted event, but still, if you couldn't make it to WWDC this sounds like an exciting alternative. :)

Eugene-DL

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
This is certainly a good idea. But WWDC would be showing new stuff and developers would be able to try it themselves. Attendees at ALTWWDC would probably discuss just about the current stuff and just watch the presentations at WWDC to see the new stuff.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Great idea! If I get one of the 150 student passes to WWDC, I may just stop by at this. I don't think I'd bother figuring out the logistics if I wasn't going to the real WWDC already, though.

Stig McNasty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
It's the WWDC Fringe!

This could become a brilliant focal point for Apple as a whole, in the same way as the Edinburgh Fringe is what people go to Edinburgh for rather than the actual Edinburgh Festival... Or maybe I'm stretching the analogy a tad too far :) All the same, I like the idea, a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.