Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ammusk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Hi everyone,

I recently did a complete restore from my time machine backup. To my shock, the Recovery HD was deleted and only the Macintosh HD (restored from the backup) remained.

Following the steps here, I installed the Recovery HD using my 10.8.0 recovery USB disk.

So now the Recovery HD is at 10.8.0 while the Mac install on the Macintosh HD is 10.8.3.

My question is how do I update the Recovery HD to bring it up to speed with 10.8.3.

Will it be updated if I simply install the 10.8.3 combo over the OS X 10.8.3 on Macintosh HD?

Or is there another way?

Thanks for the help.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
The Recovery Partition is not a complete installation. It is only 650Mb in size. It downloads the latest OS installers from Apple.

As long as 10.8.0 has the drivers to boot your Mac, you will be fine. You could try running the 10.8.3 Combo installer -- that certainly won't do any harm.

If you bought ML from the App Store, then I would recommend making an installer flash drive of the latest version from the disk image in the app package. There are many web pages that show how to do this.

OS X rarely needs to be reinstalled. Most problems are usually fixed another way, and some problems will remain unaffected by a reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.