Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I use a mid 2007 iMac. Now its time to upgrade. I am wondering if it makes sense to get the latest 27 inch with 3TB hdd and a 768gb SSD or wait for haswell and hope that it comes with a retina display?

cheers
A
The processing boost for Haswell won't be that big. You can't order both drives in an iMac, it's one or the other so a 3TB (Fusion option?) or a 768 GB SSD and my best guess is you probably won't see an option for both this year.

And as for the Retina display, the iMac is almost Retina already. Also do you really want to pay the rice for that large of a Retina display.

It all boils down to, do you want an iMac now or in the October to December time frame?

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Don't think we will see a Retina iMac this year. Perhaps the 21 but no way the 27.

As other posters said, the new wifi and haswell plus slight processor bumps will be more likely this time round.

Maybe they would release a 19" iMac Retina and go slowly up the line within 5 years

----------

19" iMac Retina or Die !!

:D

----------

My buddy brought over his retina macbook and set it side by side next to my late 12 27inch iMac and there isn't really much difference. Definitely not enough to justify how much more a retina 27 inch display would cost.

Wrong. Have you actually seen a Retina MacBook? No discernible "jaggies"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.