Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulCostello

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
i was looking at that this morning. It seems like a great idea, until I start thinking about wanting to remove those in the future. I wonder what kind of damage that adhesive would make.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I don't think so.

There is another thread somewhere here about stickers people placed on their cover and is vastly more artistic than this.

PLUS u know this thing sticking out is gonna make you slide that Air into your pouch, perhaps a little tricker.

But u like it, OK.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
I just think it's a pretty neat idea. The stickers only add so much to the cover of the MacBook but don't interact with the Apple logo light like this does. Plus the adhesive sucks getting off and I speak from experience.

Just giving people another option of what they can do, but I do wonder how this would be removing it since it has to have some sort of adhesive on it.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Why would I want to make my Mac look worse? Jony Ive would probably pass out if he saw this. I never understood the obsession with 'personalising' Macbooks. Maybe it's because people who aren't used to nice things find them discomfiting and have to debase them with bumper stickers.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Why would I want to make my Mac look worse? Jony Ive would probably pass out if he saw this. I never understood the obsession with 'personalising' Macbooks. Maybe it's because people who aren't used to nice things find them discomfiting and have to debase them with bumper stickers.

That's all personal opinion my friend. People might say the same thing about you and how you leave your MacBook so simple and bland.

Don't knock other people's opinions and just accept them. That's what seems to be wrong with society these days.

It's a cool idea and if you're attracted to it, I say go for it. Make yours a little unique.

auhagen

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Denmark
God thats ugly, like really ugly.

Use decals if you want to customize your mac, or hell take it apart and get it anodized in another color if you got too much money, but a badge with a lit photo on the apple logo, to make it bulky and ugly?!

I really dont get people anymore..

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
It's interesting but I'm sure it would probably pop off while sliding your laptop in or out of a case/bag. I would be worried about potential scratches due to that...

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I dont like the way the ring sticks out. it ruins the smoothness of the lid. not much you can do about that though. oh well.

ratboy90

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
I like the idea but $12 shipping to Europe is ridiculous. And as stated before I don't like the way it sticks out.

kmsgigem

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013
Sydney
Loving this idea

Unlike the sticker decals out there, I really like how this product allows you to personalize while still respecting the original apple design aesthetic. And from a corporate standpoint, it would be a great way to brand your employees' laptops.

As for the thickness, it's only two pennies thick... wouldn't be an issue. Thanks for sharing rdunlap. I'm going to back them!

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Unlike the sticker decals out there, I really like how this product allows you to personalize while still respecting the original apple design aesthetic. And from a corporate standpoint, it would be a great way to brand your employees' laptops.

As for the thickness, it's only two pennies thick... wouldn't be an issue. Thanks for sharing rdunlap. I'm going to back them!

Wow, you just joined, apparently for this thread. Hope you post more, otherwise people might think you're a shill!

kmsgigem

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013
Sydney
Wow, you just joined, apparently for this thread. Hope you post more, otherwise people might think you're a shill!

Hahah, you're funny but I can see how I came off that way. To be honest, been a MacBook Air user for a few years and recently got on the iPhone bandwagon. My friend turned me on to this site recently and it's been fun to peruse on my downtime. Anyway, I like the product and backed them a few days ago. I think it's a great way to make my Air unique and stand out from the crowd.

Cheers

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
Hahah, you're funny but I can see how I came off that way. To be honest, been a MacBook Air user for a few years and recently got on the iPhone bandwagon. My friend turned me on to this site recently and it's been fun to peruse on my downtime. Anyway, I like the product and backed them a few days ago. I think it's a great way to make my Air unique and stand out from the crowd.

Cheers

id hope youre not involved in it, thats one ugly tacky accessory. hopefully it never takes off.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Why do people put bumper stickers on Cars? I'm guessing the answer will be somewhat the same.

I just think it's a pretty neat idea. The stickers only add so much to the cover of the MacBook but don't interact with the Apple logo light like this does. Plus the adhesive sucks getting off and I speak from experience.

Just giving people another option of what they can do, but I do wonder how this would be removing it since it has to have some sort of adhesive on it.
The Kickstarter page explains how to remove it. How ell the full removal actually works is another question.

I dont like the way the ring sticks out. it ruins the smoothness of the lid. not much you can do about that though. oh well.
The Ring sticking out could be an issue for some carry cases/bags. Although I suspect it's more a visual bump than any real issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.