Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigboomer24

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2013
I have an unlocked At&t iPhone 5 (MD640LL), I'm using with T-Mobile, that I got 4 months ago and I'm thinking about going to an apple store and getting it replaced with T-mobile version. My question is how easy is it to get it replaced?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Replaced? Under warranty? Do you have AppleCare+?
Is it defective, damaged?

If you just want another model you will have to buy a new one and sell your old one.

bigboomer24

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2013
Replaced? Under warranty? Do you have AppleCare+?
Is it defective, damaged?

If you just want another model you will have to buy a new one and sell your old one.

It's still under warranty I've had it since September and I want want another model

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
You'll just have to sell it and then buy the model you want. A lot of people are doing it for TMobil.

bigboomer24

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2013
You'll just have to sell it and then buy the model you want. A lot of people are doing it for TMobil.

Well i'm looking at other posts and I figured since most people are replacing their original iphone 5's for the newer models, instead of selling them I thought I could do it too

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Well i'm looking at other posts and I figured since most people are replacing their original iphone 5's for the newer models, instead of selling them I thought I could do it too

I think people that are replacing them are doing so due to some defect, be it apple care plus damage coverage or manufacturers defect. I haven't read of anyone simply waltzing into an apple store, saying I want a new phone, and having it happen.

CanesDrew

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Memphis, TN
Yeah. You can't trade it for another model. This is to prevent people from trading an AT&T iPhone 5 for a Verizon iPhone 5 and making more money. (As Verizon iPhone 5's are worth more via arbitrage since they are factory unlocked)

bigboomer24

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2013
I think people that are replacing them are doing so due to some defect, be it apple care plus damage coverage or manufacturers defect. I haven't read of anyone simply waltzing into an apple store, saying I want a new phone, and having it happen.

Well here's the post that I was talking about. Check it out
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1572942/

bigboomer24

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah. You can't trade it for another model. This is to prevent people from trading an AT&T iPhone 5 for a Verizon iPhone 5 and making more money. (As Verizon iPhone 5's are worth more via arbitrage since they are factory unlocked)

Isn't it the same model though? I mean both tmobile and AT&T are gsm and I'm not gonna trade it for a Verizon. I just want to get the newer, tweaked A1428 model that just came out

CBillups1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
Its much more better? UHHH NO? its only good if you have tmobile otherwise its worthless.

if you want a new phone sell yours and buy it straight up. Apple isnt gonna give you a different phone. I mean you could try and you MIGHT get lucky with a genius but i doubt it

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
That's quite a self-entitled attitude you have there.

If you want a new one, buy one. Do you go to your TV manufacturer to ask them to swap it when they release an updated model??

CanesDrew

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Memphis, TN
That's quite a self-entitled attitude you have there.

If you want a new one, buy one. Do you go to your TV manufacturer to ask them to swap it when they release an updated model??

My point exactly. It's only a matter of hours before this gets shut down too. Grow up, kid. (OP)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.