Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
I was testing out the Nexus 4 camera/photosphere and I came out with this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31784011@N04/8688217066/

Granted this for a cellphone was impressive (typically shoot with a 5D Mark II)

I just wish they had a RAW setting because I was very limited in the editing of the photo. I couldn't really fix things that I would be able to fix because of the lost information.

I think they're doing a mistake by getting caught up in the megapixel race (I think we're at 13mp right now).

I mean granted yes this is not a DSLR but it would be nice to shoot RAW for when I'm at say Disneyland or out locally and don't want to lug around the Mark II just to take a few shots.

Honestly if they gave the ability to shoot RAW and just gave it a good nice glass for the lens it would be more beneficial than more megapixles. 8MP is more than enough for a cellphone camera.

Then again I understand the reason why they're shooting for the higher MP is just for "show".

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Higher MP for show and convenience. How many users want raw shots on their phone.

If it's not a demanded enough feature then they won't integrate it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The reason for having all those megapixels is become ignorant consumers judge camera quality be the one number they know. So they need the big sounding number for advertising. But you can fix this be "binning" the pixels if you like.

Raw would be a good idea, no hardware change would be needed. But quite a bit of software would need to be written to handle the raw image files. It would cost Apple some money to write the software.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
I was testing out the Nexus 4 camera/photosphere and I came out with this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31784011@N04/8688217066/

Granted this for a cellphone was impressive (typically shoot with a 5D Mark II)

I just wish they had a RAW setting because I was very limited in the editing of the photo. I couldn't really fix things that I would be able to fix because of the lost information.

I think they're doing a mistake by getting caught up in the megapixel race (I think we're at 13mp right now).

I mean granted yes this is not a DSLR but it would be nice to shoot RAW for when I'm at say Disneyland or out locally and don't want to lug around the Mark II just to take a few shots.

Honestly if they gave the ability to shoot RAW and just gave it a good nice glass for the lens it would be more beneficial than more megapixles. 8MP is more than enough for a cellphone camera.

Then again I understand the reason why they're shooting for the higher MP is just for "show".

Flo's V8 Cafe by theuserjohnny, on Flickr

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
The reason for having all those megapixels is become ignorant consumers judge camera quality be the one number they know ....

That's beginning to change some. I recently got a Canon SX50 super zoom camera which is 12 mpix. A lot of point-and-shoot cameras are 14, 16, and even 18 mpix. One of my best cameras (which I keep as a backup) is a Canon A590 which is 8 mpix.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
That's beginning to change some. I recently got a Canon SX50 super zoom camera which is 12 mpix. A lot of point-and-shoot cameras are 14, 16, and even 18 mpix. One of my best cameras (which I keep as a backup) is a Canon A590 which is 8 mpix.

Yeah I think 8MP is more than enough for a cellphone camera. Just create a good glass for it and improve on shutter and such and slap RAW and that would be great! Most of the pictures I take are from my phone and for the planned trips obviously I'll bring the DSLR but for the spontaneous trips to Disneyland I just take my phone, wallet, and keys.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Yeah I think 8MP is more than enough for a cellphone camera. Just create a good glass for it and improve on shutter and such and slap RAW and that would be great! Most of the pictures I take are from my phone and for the planned trips obviously I'll bring the DSLR but for the spontaneous trips to Disneyland I just take my phone, wallet, and keys.

I have to agree with you 100 percent. 8 megs is plenty and it would be nicer if they focused (sorry no pun intended) on better glass/lenses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.