Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

gdt.jpg
Two brothers, Patrick and Daniel Klug, recently released their first game called 'Game Dev Tycoon'. In it, players start a small game development company in the 1980's and attempt to build it up to a development powerhouse over the next 30 years.

In a bit of an experiment, the Klugs released a cracked version of their game and uploaded it themselves to a torrent site. However, in the pirated version, the in-game developers begin to run into crippling piracy that eventually drives them into bankruptcy. In-game CEO's receive this message:
Boss, it seems that while many players play our new game, they steal it by downloading a cracked version rather than buying it legally.

If players don't buy the games they like, we will sooner or later go bankrupt.
Players who downloaded the game illegally then began posting questions in the game's support forums asking how to better fight the pirates.

After the first weekend, the company had 3100 gamers playing the cracked version, with 214 playing the genuine edition.

dev.png
The game itself would be enjoyed by any fans of the tycoon series of games -- as CEO of the game company, players can research new technologies and game types, while hiring new employees and making bigger and bigger video games.

Fictional versions of major game platforms like NES, Sony PlayStation and the Xbox are all used in the game, with some clever thinking required to figure out what types of games will be bestsellers.

Game Dev Tycoon for Mac is $7.99 straight from the developers, with access to Windows and Linux versions also included in the purchase price.

Article Link: Independent Game Developer Pranks Pirates With 'Game Dev Tycoon'

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Best trick ever. I love it!

Don't be a pirate kids. Play what you earn or don't play at all. Life lesson.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Hilarious, I love stuff like this. You can't really stop it, but the best anti-piracy, to me, shouldn't be a clear "it works or it doesn't" thing, but something that insidiously destroys your gameplay over time while causing all the pirates to self-report.

Although in this case I guess the icing on the cake would be if Kairosoft released an update to Game Dev Story where you suddenly have to compete with rival developers that clone your games.

achbed

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
Although in this case I guess the icing on the cake would be if Kairosoft released an update to Game Dev Story where you suddenly have to compete with rival developers that clone your games.

That's included in the "leaked" source code version that they seeded as well.....

j/k - would be epic if they did that tho.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
This is actually amazing.

People posted in the forum asking how to defeat the pirates?... brilliant.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Since I just got into Game Dev Story on the phone, I'm intrigued by this game, but it pretty seems to be a direct clone of GDS. I mean, they could have at least changed the isometric view to a top-down one or something. Even the metrics they use for the quality of the game look the same.

The whole pirate thing seems to be the pot calling the kettle black...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Oh hey, where's the game you released?

In Google Play. :rolleyes:

Joking, nothing up at the moment. I'm still planning it out and learning Unity.

I feel like $7.99 is a bit much for a game like that though. Even with the promotion they're getting now from this little joke of there's, it's probably not going to compel too many people to buy it. I'm saying that as someone who does buy a lot of the better $2.99-9.99 games. Based on the screenshots, it just looks like another building/shop freemium game.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Interesting how many people pirate their app instead of buy it... in my experience I have far more legal downloads than pirated downloads (about 10x as many legal users as pirating users), but that might just be a matter of different markets - I'm targeting IT people who know that $1.99 for my app is already a steal* whereas they're trying to charge casual gamers $7.99, who are used to getting their games for free.

* Plus they're spending company money rather than their own, plus a lot more people will know they're doing illegal things and so they're more likely to get busted for it.

I enjoy the market I sell in. I just wish I knew how to sell video games, since those are a lot more fun to make...

Last edited:

eyhk

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
Since I just got into Game Dev Story on the phone, I'm intrigued by this game, but it pretty seems to be a direct clone of GDS. I mean, they could have at least changed the isometric view to a top-down one or something. Even the metrics they use for the quality of the game look the same.

The whole pirate thing seems to be the pot calling the kettle black...

I was wondering about that myself. Cool prank though.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
They should've also put in an event where another company apes the player game style and ideas and makes their own version.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Wow, the ratio of pirated versions of the game in use versus legal versions is staggering.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Oh hey, where's the game you released?

Just because somebody thinks a game is overpriced, doesn't mean they have to be in the industry or even know anything about video games. People see different value in different things. Personally, I think the fact that 3100 out of 3314 players chose to pirate the game shows how possibly overpriced people seem to think it is.

Kudos to the developers for the prank though.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
To be fair I doubt many of the people who pirated the game would have bought it if they couldn't have got it for free. It can even have a positive effect on sales by increasing its fame. Think how famous Photoshop is. Do you really think it would be so famous if everyone who used it had payed for it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.