Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
My August 2007 iMac.....aluminum Big Chin....is still my main personal desktop. I had to replace the original 320Gb drive last year with a new 2Tb, but other than that it runs great.

Although, my 17" MBP is the one most used daily.

makitango

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
gosh i miss the days when both music and video (and podcasts...) were in one ipod app. ;(

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
It speaks to Apple's commitment to customers to service a product this long.

I bought a Samsung Instinct around the same time that the iPhone came out...I'm willing to bet that NOBODY (including Samsung) would be able to service that phone today.

Apple really commits to the longevity of its products.

Last edited:

Macintosh-HD

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I guess my sealed iPhone 1 is going to go up in value. Also have everyone sealed since?

The orignal iPod (firewire only :eek:) that came out in 2001 catches a hefty price on Ebay these days, especially if it's still sealed. Just wait another 4-5 years and it may be worth a little something.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The US is way behind the world in this. We need better consumer protection laws. They shoud have parts and service available for at least five years, 10 would be better but three is just ripping people off.

It's not like Aple woud have to give away the parts, they sell for a huge mark up. Just have them available so good working gear does not have to be thrown away

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I have one in mint condition running 3.1.3 Sometimes I'll use a SIM adaptor and pop in my iPhone5 sim and use it for a day or so.

I do have another running on 1.4
Anyone know how to activate this one? Simply installing my activated SIM (as above) doesn't work.

You'll have to jailbreak / unlock it. That's what I had to do as Apple isn't activating iOS 3.1.3 anymore.

This is what I had to do with my iPhone in order to use it again after an erase/restore. What's tricky is you'll need specific versions of jailbreak/unlock programs for iPhone 1. Google is your friend here.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
iPad 3 - 7 months.

Obviously you didnt read the article. The ipad 3 is not end of life, you still get software updates and you can still get them repaired/replaced at an apple store. Not only is it not end of life but they still sell them in the refurb store and they still sell the previous generation to that as well.

Funkmasta

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
I am using an iPhone first gen as my main phone.

My 4 was stolen so I bought it for $50 in mint condition to tide me over until prices dropped on 4s or 5.

Its slow, but has modern features with Whitedoor installed (even fake siri).

3devicehome.png

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Still got mine, and still have it out to keep it charged up every now and then. Seriously debating having the Wifi fixed which stopped working a year after I stopped using it daily. Might be nice to have a fully working one years from now. :)

GlastoEls

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
London
Toss some speakers on and you have a great stereo for an extra room! iTunes, Pandora, podcasts, whatever. That's where my old iPhone will go to die. (iPhone "2" a.k.a. 3G, still going strong today--my family uses it.)

Ditto! 3GS (used for three years!) now enjoying a warm retirement in the bathroom on a speaker set. iPhone 5 carrying on the legacy!

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
"But I'm still using an original iPhone..." - no one sane in 2012-2013.

I gave mine to my mother, who still uses it around the house as an extra internet access device. I got it in the first half hour or so of sales on opening day and it still works fine.

Fun to think back how wildly new and futuristic it seemed at the time and the comments I overheard people making to each other about it when I first had it out in public.

I still remember saying to my brother when Apple first announced the iPhone that's what every cell phone would look like in the future and now they do. I think it will be a long time until we see another cell phone that revolutionary again.

----------

The US is way behind the world in this. We need better consumer protection laws. They shoud have parts and service available for at least five years, 10 would be better but three is just ripping people off.

It's not like Aple woud have to give away the parts, they sell for a huge mark up. Just have them available so good working gear does not have to be thrown away

So you want everyone to be forced to pay higher prices to cover the cost of maintaining obsolete supply lines?

----------

I want one. It looks and feels so nice.

The original and the 3G versions where definitely more comfortable to hold without a case than the 4's & 5's (especially the 4's). It would be nice if they would go back to the rounded edges.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Obviously you didnt read the article. The ipad 3 is not end of life, you still get software updates and you can still get them repaired/replaced at an apple store. Not only is it not end of life but they still sell them in the refurb store and they still sell the previous generation to that as well.

So that Samsung you mentioned isn't EOL either.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
The orignal iPod (firewire only :eek:) that came out in 2001 catches a hefty price on Ebay these days, especially if it's still sealed. Just wait another 4-5 years and it may be worth a little something.

Really? I have a working one of these just sitting around this house...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.