Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayatey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
Hi i have mac pro 1.1 2006 2.66 CPU two Xeon

i have lion 10.7.5

when run about mac, show number of processor ( 1 ) cpu! not ( 2 ) why?

Screen%2BShot%2B2013-04-29%2Bat%2B7.28.03%2BPM.jpg

Last edited:

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
I think only Mac Pro Pre 2009 sold with one CPU is 3.1 (Early 2008). It had One 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon E5462.

Conclusion, someone took out one CPU from that machine, thare is no other word for it.
If it is advertised as Dual CPU, than.....

Just out of curiosity, what model is that CPU ?
Xeon E51xx or .... ?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Indeed, before and after what... and shouldn't it list the model (year) underneath where it says "Mac Pro"?

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
No it shouldn't. On my Mac it just says "Mac Pro". This is the same model as the OP's.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
The OP should better check system profiler or activity monitor. Can a Mac Pro lose a CPU as if nothing happened?

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
In the past I had a G5 Dual 1.8 and one processor died. At this day it was shown in the "About this Mac" window as a G5 1.8 (with one processor). Perhaps one of your processors is defective?

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
In the past I had a G5 Dual 1.8 and one processor died. At this day it was shown in the "About this Mac" window as a G5 1.8 (with one processor). Perhaps one of your processors is defective?

Most probably. You can buy them for $10, so not much to worry about.

hayatey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
I think only Mac Pro Pre 2009 sold with one CPU is 3.1 (Early 2008). It had One 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon E5462.

Conclusion, someone took out one CPU from that machine, thare is no other word for it.
If it is advertised as Dual CPU, than.....

Just out of curiosity, what model is that CPU ?
Xeon E51xx or .... ?

Intel xeon 5150 dual core

----------

Befor(e)? After?

Before what? After What? GPU upgrade?

???

RGDS,

No CPU upgrade - No GPU upgrade
Something is not upgraded, the problem occurred without doing something

----------

Screen%2BShot%2B2013-04-29%2Bat%2B7.28.03%2BPM.jpg

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
This is one of those "are you sure it's plugged in?" questions but...have you visually confirmed they're both physically present?

hayatey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
This is one of those "are you sure it's plugged in?" questions but...have you visually confirmed they're both physically present?

Yes, I'm sure, I tried to add other new therapists, but the same result

----------
yy7tZL.png

this is Activity Monitor

Last edited:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Try standard resets: SMC and PRAM. If it won't help, determine which one isn't working. Check iStat reads. CPU A is upper socket, CPU B is lower one. Check diagnostic LEDs. Swap CPUs then to see if one of them is shot or it's logic board. Get yorself Service Manual, philips screwdriver and 3 mm diameter, long and thin hex key. Reapplying thermal paste would be good idea as well, esp. if you'll have it all disassembled.

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
If both CPUs with heatsinks are present, than one of the CPUs is dead, it is a very rare thing but it happens.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I tried to add other new therapists, but the same result

What does hat mean? WTH is a "therapist"?

Anyway, a lot of the "About" information is just taken from system text files without actually checking anything.

Try downloading this: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/42932/machineprofile and see what it has to say.

Also try opening Activity Monitor again and this time select "CPU Usage" from the "Window" menu ("CPU History" from the same menu will do it too). And see how many cores it represents in the graph.

hayatey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013

Anyway, a lot of the "About" information is just taken from system text files without actually checking anything.

Try downloading this: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/42932/machineprofile and see what it has to say.

Also try opening Activity Monitor again and this time select "CPU Usage" from the "Window" menu ("CPU History" from the same menu will do it too). And see how many cores it represents in the graph.

ok I will do so and I'll give you the result While go home

----------

the rapists?

sorry man , i don't speak English , I'm sorry I mean " 2 processor "

----------

WTH is a "therapist"?
sorry man , i don't speak English , I'm sorry I mean " 2 processor "

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
The future, people.

I love the red text, though. It's like middle-class English tourists. Talking. Slowly. Hoping. You. Understand.

Could be the socket or logic board then, if it still doesn't recognise two CPUs when using different processors. I'd take it to an Apple store.

hayatey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
The future, people.

I love the red text, though. It's like middle-class English tourists. Talking. Slowly. Hoping. You. Understand.

Could be the socket or logic board then, if it still doesn't recognise two CPUs when using different processors. I'd take it to an Apple store.

I haven't added any a processor or any addition or upgrade

stuckwithme247

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
I would take the computer to the nearest Apple Store. They have resources available there to troubleshoot the problem and determine if it's hardware or software related. If you don't have an Apple Store around then you should probably do a clean install of OS X first, and call AppleCare if the problem still exists. If the problem is hardware related, you are in luck because they still will do repairs on that machine until June 2013. Here is the article in case you missed it: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/29/original-iphone-will-soon-be-obsolete-in-apple-retail-stores/

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Correct me if I'm wrong because I probably am but this CPU doesn't support Hyperthreading so if only one CPU were running shouldn't it only show one CPU in the activity monitor regardless of it being a dual core ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.