Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Texas has a better economy, the state government does not charge an income tax, and the taxes it does charge are very reasonable. This makes operating a business in the state much cheaper than operating a business in California.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Texas has a better economy, the state government does not charge an income tax, and the taxes it does charge are very reasonable. This makes operating a business in the state much cheaper than operating a business in California.

The only downside to moving Apple to Texas is...um...they would have to live in Texas!!:eek:

Just joking. Really!

I joke...I kid...I come from love...:p

(Don'y hurt me...I'm old and frail and bruise easily)

;) :D

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Maybe Tim Cook cringes at the thought of gunfights as portrayed in some cowboy movies. Or maybe he's afraid to live in the same state as Chuck Norris.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Because they let fertilizer plants be built in residential areas.

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
12545 Riata Vista Circle
Austin, TX 78727

Apple already has an HQ in Texas. This center is in charge of HR and payroll - as well as a few other departments I can't remember of at the moment.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Why not?

Let's just start out by saying that Apple doesn't pay that much money in taxes period. And so state and local taxes are pretty low on the decision-making tree. More to the point, I seem to remember reading somewhere that Apple is actually registered in Nevada as far as managing the company's $140 billion in assets.

But more importantly, most of Apple's headquarters staff probably much prefer to live in the Bay Area. Not only are the cultural opportunities much more inviting (i.e.. restaurants, theater, music, etc.) but there is access to the Pacific ocean - for sailing, boating, fishing, etc. And quite frankly, the social atmosphere in the Bay Area is much more accepting of the diverse racial/political/lifestyle mix of Apple's rank and file employee group.

Then there is the business side of things: Apple, and its engineering and software teams, need to be near Silicon Valley with its myriad of software and hardware titans, and startups. It needs to be able - if it wants - to offer a job to an engineer working at Google or Facebook; HP or Pixar. It s designers need to be in the social/cultural/engineering vortex that is California.

Lastly, and probably much further down the decision-making tree, is logistical: California is much closer to China, Korea, and Japan: Three of the most important hubs for component suppliers - and also the richest source of new markets. Austin is almost 1400 miles further from Hong Kong than San Francisco. Thats an extra three hours, each direction, on an airplane.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
The R&D could never be in texas because the infrastructure is not there- as well as the talent base that there is in silicon valley. In addition their suppliers are right next door. It is also a better gateway to asia.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Seeing that they are building a new campus in California, I'm guessing that they decided that it was the best place for them.

Apparently, they look at more than just "Hey, low taxes!" Taxes aren't the only thing businesses look at. I do realize that for some people, that is the single most important thing ever, but it's really not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.