Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Except Apple has proven time and time again that they're too cheap to hire more engineers to actually keep dedicated resources on projects, and instead shuffle teams around and let products wither on the vine (currently see: iWork, iLife, Aperture, etc.)

It's unfortunate that the update cycle for most of their software is much longer than the rest of the industry, but throwing more people at the problem is not necessarily the solution. Look at Microsoft... so many people that each department is like a separate company. There's no synergy, no laser focus. That's where Apple excels, a lean, mean, one-two punch. And it needs to stay that way.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Apple really needs to beef up Siri in iOS 7.

Anyhow, I'm glad Apple values these companies carefully before acquisition, and doesn't get into a pissing match with Google. It shows good corporate diligence.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Except Apple has proven time and time again that they're too cheap to hire more engineers to actually keep dedicated resources on projects, and instead shuffle teams around and let products wither on the vine (currently see: iWork, iLife, Aperture, etc.)

Apple determined that constant updates and growth on those products doesn't contribute enough to its profits to dedicate to it on a full time basis. They also determined that there is little immediate harm done by ignoring them at the moment. But, like with meaningless product fads (content aggregation), the real problem is in the long term. But it seems Apple manages to put out enough new versions to stop the slide from being terminal. Only those of us who already own the product, or have been watching attentively to the state of the product, notice or care about the lack of big updates. Most everyone else either uses the products as they are and is content with them, or uses something else.

Content *creation* isn't the focus these days. The market for the tools is saturated. The tools themselves have gotten robust enough to level the playing field enough that anyone can be a creator. Adobe is bloating their product with garbage just to keep repeat selling. They've had to start pushing a subscription model because there's nothing compelling to offer for upgrade lures. Everyone is trying to make money on other people's content, because that's easier and quicker and leaves no groups of angry abandoned users once the product goes belly up and the opportunistic executives move on to the next money making fad or retire.

Eventually the content creation tools will start to mature in efficiency, under the surface. That's all that's left, aside from the occasional dramatic new technique to select or manipulate more specific parts of data in an image or audio.

I wonder what a fully Apple-native 3D modeling and rendering package would look like. All the existing tools are horrifically inhumane. That's a branch of software development for content creation tools that is still shamefully archaic and primitive. But again, the market is saturated and there's no clear reason to develop anything new. Certainly not from scratch. The expertise is really lacking in the job market, too.

Apple is only looking bad to a select group of people paying close attention. Like myself not buying the current version of iWork because I don't know if I'll get screwed on purchase price when they do release a big new upgrade. I have extremely limited funds, though, so I'm sure that most people aren't sitting on their hands waiting like myself. I'm not hurting Apple waiting and so Apple isn't really hurting itself. We aren't the example of Apple's preferred target audience at the moment and that's ok for them.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Apple determined that constant updates and growth on those products doesn't contribute enough to its profits to dedicate to it on a full time basis. They also determined that there is little immediate harm done by ignoring them at the moment.

Tell that to the pro segment regarding Final Cut Pro and the Mac Pro's who are switching platforms en masse.

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
Good to see Apple values their cash pile. The big battles lie ahead! Let google waste their money on crowd funded fad apps. :rolleyes:

Spending 0.25% of $140b on something that could improve your core programs/services > Spending none of $140b to remain static.

The worrying thing about Apple is that they seem content to just make minor changes and introduce one flagship tool per year (Siri, Maps, Fingerprint Sensor?) instead of doing an entire overhaul of iOS.

msimpson

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Troll

Any chance they can't outbid Google, because the share price tanked while GOOG still seems to be flying?

Any chance you are a troll?

I doubt you are a real Apple investor, because if you knew anything about investing, you would realize Apple is in great shape financially and the only reason the price has dropped recently was a lot of short-term investors drove the price up to a level that was a good time to sell their Apple stock and take profits, or they are just dumb and scared.

With a P/E ratio around 9, (the market averages around 15), over $130B in cash, a huge customer base who are not abandoning Apple and will continue to shop through the AppStore and iTunes, Apple is in great shape.

If you want to buy Google with a P/E of 24, revenue mostly from ads sales, and little income from Android or the Google apps store, go for it.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
I feel that had Apple would have outbid Google if they felt this company could add significant value to a product that they have been aggressively promoting - Siri. If they decided not to outbid Google then they probably figured the company wasn't valuable enough for them to match what Google was willing to pay.

"When your enemy is making a mistake, don't interrupt them."

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
is it just me or does that seem to be the trend these days? Apple vs Google bidding war, but Google just has more balls and ends up winning the bids

iMat77

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Ticino, Switzerland
Another purchase makes more sense

Apple should buy Flipboard.

That makes more sense, in my opinion, also because Flipboard aggregates content from Facebook and Twitter besides the articles and relevant themes.

And... (taken from the "about us" page on their website)

"Headed by Mike McCue, former CEO of Tellme, and Evan Doll, former Senior iPhone Engineer at Apple"

So, there you go....

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I'll never understand this. With so much cash, how do you lose a bidding war?

Maps is broken? Yelp and Foursquare data could fix that. If they don't want a partnership then buy them. Use a hostile takeover. There are benefits to having an enormous market cap.

I just don't understand Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.