Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arjena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
I have a speed problem with Wifi on my MBP (10.8.3). But this is different from most problems I've just spend an hour reading about. My internet speed is fine. 60Mb down and 8 up is what can be expected from my setup. But connecting to another Mac on the network is painfully slow. Copying a 700K file takes over a minute, controlling another Mac through remote desktop is impossible. Besides the MBP we have three MacBooks and two Mini's on the same wifi network. They have no problems with any network protocol whatsoever. The (cable-) modem/router is a Cisco, running Wifi on 5GHz. As far as Wifi diagnostics can tell, this is the only 5GHz device in the neighborhood. I also have an airport express running at 2.4 GHz (for iPhone/Pad access). Connecting the MBP to this network makes no difference. I took the MBP to my office, same problem. Internet works fine, other network tasks just crawl.
I have tried all the tricks I could find (trashing prefs, re-installing the system, trash keychain data, made a new user etc. etc.) The only thing I did not yet do (and am hoping to avoid) is make a full backup and do a clean install.
Has anyone seen this before?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.