Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
Hi, i have a great problem with my old ibook g4 when i try to connect to mi ruter, cant even stream music from my powermac server, cause the transfer speed is so slow. I use the build in airport card, for suft the net is OK, but for file transfers is painful, i hace turned off the ipv6, and works a bit better but just with the internet.

With the CAT5 cable everything is ok. anyone with the same problem? any way to fix it? i have search on the forum but havent found nothing else to config the wifi right.

thanks

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
What Airport Card is this :)apple: menu > About this Mac > More Information > Airport)

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
is this one.

Tipo de tarjeta inalámbrica: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x4E)
Versión del firmware de la tarjeta inalámbrica: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.25.8)
Canal inalámbrico: 3

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
Yes, its G protocol, and in my ruter is configureg for G too. So anyone with the same issue? any idea how to get the real G speed? cause i am 10 meters from the ruter.

thanks,.

G4TheWin

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2012
A ditch somewhere
Also, these cards are quite flaky. For example, my network card drops the connection about every ten minutes if I don't have my network on WEP. I actually needed to get one of those wireless extenders.

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
my card is well wired with the antena, also seems that the signal is most of time the best. i dont know if there are any trick to config some values of the wifi card in order to improve the speed.

I cant even stream music from the server without small music cuts in a 320kbps MP3, with loseless files is impossible.

Thanks a lot.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I was wondering why there is no ibook anymore for apple, or what product thake his place? MacBookAir?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I was wondering why there is no ibook anymore for apple, or what product thake his place? MacBookAir?

The iBook was the consumer/educational laptop of Apple's PowerPC lineup from 1999-2005. It was replaced with the Intell based Macbook. While it currently does not have a direct modern equivelant, the Macbook Air would be the closest to it.

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
i make another attemp, and the issue is the same with my 1 Ghz powerbook, same problems, even wuth diferent versions of itunes.

DarkSel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
i make another attemp, and the issue is the same with my 1 Ghz powerbook, same problems, even wuth diferent versions of itunes.

If you're having the problem with both of your Macs, the problem is probably with the router.

What router do you have/what's your uplink speed?

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
Hello, my ruter is TPlink 740n, seems to be good managing the wifi, and even the internet works good. But is strange how i found the same problem on a ibook and a powerbook.

up speed: 200 kbytes.
down speed: 5M

Last edited:

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
SOLVED! problem was with the Qos config from the ruter, cause the media server had low priority, cause most of time is also downloading torrents, after few attamps to improve the conection had to swith it off. and now the streams are quite good.
Thanks for all the replys.

now il have to learn how to limit the torrent speed in the proper way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.