Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vettori13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Hey everyone,

So I live in New Zealand. And where I live, Apple products are very expensive (even more so than normal).

I looked on Ebay and found many brand new 13' rMBP's for about $400NZD less than on the NZ Apple store, even after $100 shipping.

I was wondering if there would be any major problems with purchasing something like this from a location in the US. I assume there might be an issue regarding warranties but I am not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
100% positive feedback so that is OK, think the shipping is a bit steep though.

Don't they charge import tax there?

Edit: I myself would never buy an expensive item like that on Ebay

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hey everyone,

So I live in New Zealand. And where I live, Apple products are very expensive (even more so than normal).

I looked on Ebay and found many brand new 13' rMBP's for about $400NZD less than on the NZ Apple store, even after $100 shipping.

I was wondering if there would be any major problems with purchasing something like this from a location in the US. I assume there might be an issue regarding warranties but I am not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks.

When buying from a foreign country, you need to consider that if there are any problems, and the seller is in any way dodgy, you will have a hard time getting things sorted out. I'd only buy from a foreign country if they have a known good reputation, or if the item is cheap enough so that you can risk losing all your money. So buying a MBP from an unknown seller in a foreign country is something that I wouldn't do.

Even in your own country. Buying from a foreign country just makes the risk so much bigger. On the other hand, I wouldn't ship to a foreign country either; the seller can expect exactly the same problems.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
When buying from a foreign country, you need to consider that if there are any problems, and the seller is in any way dodgy, you will have a hard time getting things sorted out. I'd only buy from a foreign country if they have a known good reputation, or if the item is cheap enough so that you can risk losing all your money. So buying a MBP from an unknown seller in a foreign country is something that I wouldn't do.

Even in your own country. Buying from a foreign country just makes the risk so much bigger. On the other hand, I wouldn't ship to a foreign country either; the seller can expect exactly the same problems.

Only if purchase receipts are included and has a 100% positive feedback.
But the place I am originally from is small, most of the country can be reached within a 1-2 hour drive.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
100% positive feedback so that is OK, think the shipping is a bit steep though.

Don't they charge import tax there?

The last sentence is my opinion, too; personally, I'd never buy anything that expensive from e-Bay. In your position, I would grit my teeth, and would pay the full price, knowing that the warranty is sound, and the purchase is perfectly legitimate. In other words, you are paying for peace of mind......

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Only if purchase receipts are included and has a 100% positive feedback.
But the place I am originally from is small, most of the country can be reached within a 1-2 hour drive.

Ok, if you live say in Luxembourg then Belgium or Netherlands doesn't quite count as "foreign country".

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
One thing I did not see mentioned is the power adapter you may need to purchase a local version to power/recharge the machine. All depends on the plug standard used in your home country vs the country you are buying from as most chargers will automatically handle the difference in the voltages around the world, plug on the end of that adapter different story.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
You really need to check the situation with import duty and taxes in New Zealand. Don't imagine for one minute your MBP may slip through the net, it won't!

Other than this I agree with the sentiment of most who have posted above. It's an expensive item and a substantial risk. I wouldn't do it.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Ok, if you live say in Luxembourg then Belgium or Netherlands doesn't quite count as "foreign country".

One of those BeNeLux countries is where I was born, more than 10 million people live close enough to me to just pick up an item instead of buying it on Ebay, if it's an expensive article like the one above I wouldn't hesitate to just go there and check it out myself.
I bought plenty of things on Ebay, as far away as China and the US, most of them just a couple of $, most expensive was a phone from the US which was around $50, if something happened I would loose little, never happened though.
I choose 100% positive feedback and sellers which have sold 1000s of articles.

Vettori13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Thanks everyone for the replies! I actually completely forgot about import tax as I never purchase anything even remotely this pricey from overseas.

It works out to still be slightly cheaper buying from overseas even with shipping + tax but, you are right, it could be quite risky.

As far as warranties go, would I still be able to repair the laptop under warranty if I took it into an Apple retailer in NZ?

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Have you thought of going to Australia or getting it from Australia I don't know if that would be cheaper or same price as New Zealand?

Vettori13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Have you thought of going to Australia or getting it from Australia I don't know if that would be cheaper or same price as New Zealand?

I'm thinking it would be cheaper but I would likely have to pay import tax when I come back into NZ.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I'm thinking it would be cheaper but I would likely have to pay import tax when I come back into NZ.

What about a refurb MBA from the apple online store. Sometimes they have good deals. If any are available though.

Vettori13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
What about a refurb MBA from the apple online store. Sometimes they have good deals. If any are available though.

I think that might be my main option at this stage. There is a refurb rMBP 13" for a good price in there at the moment but I am thinking about holding off for the Haswell retina laptops. But getting a Haswell refurbished 13" rMBP will be very difficult.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I think that might be my main option at this stage. There is a refurb rMBP 13" for a good price in there at the moment but I am thinking about holding off for the Haswell retina laptops. But getting a Haswell refurbished 13" rMBP will be very difficult.

Oh okay. Whats your MBA going to be used for mainly if you dont mind me asking. I am not sure on the difference between processors like Haswell etc. However sometimes even the current new and current refurb MBA's might suit your needs.

Vettori13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Oh okay. Whats your MBA going to be used for mainly if you dont mind me asking. I am not sure on the difference between processors like Haswell etc. However sometimes even the current new and current refurb MBA's might suit your needs.

My rMBP will be used for nothing heavy, probably will have 10-15 tabs open, iTunes, excel and guitar pro open most of the time. I just would like the added graphics performance of Haswell so I can at least play a few older games every now and then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.