Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Less weight does not make it more portable to me than the 4, it will still be too large. Owning a Nexus 7 is even too large per se to pocket and carry around for me all the time. Big difference between it and a smartphone.

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
Less weight does not make it more portable to me than the 4, it will still be too large. Owning a Nexus 7 is even too large per se to pocket and carry around for me all the time. Big difference between it and a smartphone.
Yes but for a lot of people including myself,the ipad 4 is tiring to hold for long periods.It is not just a portability issue.Honestly,I would prefer a 12in ipad that weighs nothing.If I am hitting the road,both a 7in or 12in has to go in the backpack either way because like you said,you can't pocket it.

For me to seriously consider upgrading from the ipad4,the 5 will need to weigh less than 500g.If it comes in at 580g then it's not going to make much difference.It would be nice but not enough for me to upgrade.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Yes but for a lot of people including myself,the ipad 4 is tiring to hold for long periods.It is not just a portability issue.Honestly,I would prefer a 12in ipad that weighs nothing.If I am hitting the road,both a 7in or 12in has to go in the backpack either way because like you said,you can't pocket it.

For me to seriously consider upgrading from the ipad4,the 5 will need to weigh less than 500g.If it comes in at 580g then it's not going to make much difference.It would be nice but not enough for me to upgrade.

Agreed. The Nexus 7 has been amazing for me (really, more than just a stop gap while waiting and seeing with Apple), but there are times when I've missed a bigger tablet when travelling. There would be a wailing and a gnashing of teeth if I remove the iPad 2 from the house :). I could have gone for the Nexus 10 but I look at it and think "Nah, I'll wait to see if Apple does a lighter, full iPad."

Phone optimized applications aren't too bad on a 7" screen but would be awful on the Nexus 10's bigger display IMHO. I'm just not all that keen on a 10" Android.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Bold characters do not make you any more correct...

What is incorrect in what I said? All i mentioned, that it is quite possible for Apple to provide the ipad 5 with a base 32gb, without affecting their price margins.

There is no outright claim for you to get agitated!

----------

You arent expected to put the tablet in your pocket it and move around. The tablet is basically a midpoint between a phone & maybe a netbook / laptop. The portability aspect is the convenience with which you can carry it around. With smaller dimensions, and much lesser weight, its definitely more easier to move around with.

emptysoul

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
Well, I ended up biting the bullet and bought a 128GB model over the weekend as it looks unlikely that the iPad5 will be out before the fall (and I have a lot of travel between now and then).

Now just to get my 16GB unit on eBay.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Fail thread. thread fail. Whatever, it's near and that's all that matters.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Didn't Timothy Cook say that no new products are expected till Fall?

No, he said "We've got a lot more surprises in the works. Our teams are hard at work on some amazing new hardware, software, and services that we can't wait to introduce in the fall and into 2014". He didn't say anything about not releasing any new products until fall.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
No, he said "We've got a lot more surprises in the works. Our teams are hard at work on some amazing new hardware, software, and services that we can't wait to introduce in the fall and into 2014". He didn't say anything about not releasing any new products until fall.

Don't the words "Some amazing new Hardware" mentioned by Cook also includes "New Product" as well ? I will take him at his word and say no, there will be no new products until later this year. Apple probably will release iOS 7 sooner.

Last edited:

rovex

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Doesn't the words "Some amazing new Hardware" mentioned by Cook also includes "New Product" as well ? I will take him at his word and say no, there will be no new products until later this year. Apple probably will release iOS 7 sooner.

They'll be new notebooks in june so not strictly, unless he said iOS.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Doesn't the words "Some amazing new Hardware" mentioned by Cook also includes "New Product" as well ? I will take him at his word and say no, there will be no new products until later this year. Apple probably will release iOS 7 sooner.

With a misquote like that you've got a great career ahead in journalism.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011

"more lighter than previous ipad."

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013

iPad 5 isnt necessarily "new hardware", it could be updated hardware. But I dont think therell be a new ipad until fall anyway, simply because I dont believe theyd release a new ipad without iOS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.