Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macinseattle

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2013
Apple is Greenwashing

The current campus plan is the most environmentally UNFRIENDLY option because it forces everyone to commute. If Apple were serious about the environment, they would build within the context of the city. Here is the link to the design that would actually be environmentally friendly.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/1681412/the-apple-city-that-could-have-been#1

This current plan is nothing more than greenwashing. The folks in Cupertino should wake up to reality.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Actually, we're just doing just fine, thank you. The situation here isn't nearly as bad as the media (or Rick Perry) would have you believe.

That's pretty funny. I just relocated to CO from CA. My gross salary went down $23K for market adjustment. My take home pay is exactly the same. Every cent of the difference went to taxes while living in CA. That's nearly $2000 per month. I can guarantee you that CA was NOT giving me an extra $2000 per month worth of value...

----------

That and no one wants to live in Texas.

Umm...

https://www.google.com/publicdata/e...:48000&ifdim=country&hl=en_US&dl=en&ind=false

gopnick

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
That's pretty funny. I just relocated to CO from CA. My gross salary went down $23K for market adjustment. My take home pay is exactly the same. Every cent of the difference went to taxes while living in CA. That's nearly $2000 per month. I can guarantee you that CA was NOT giving me an extra $2000 per month worth of value...

Austin, TX is the new Silicon Valley.

And for those worried about politics.... (posts like these always get nasty that way).... Austin is very liberal. It just has a more suitable business climate and offers all the amenities that tech workers demand.

commodorepet

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2013
Conveniently overlooked facts about Campus 2 --

Campus 2 lies in the 94086 zip code, which is 95% in Sunnyvale on the North side of the 280 freeway. When finished, the campus will likely impact Sunnyvale more than Cupertino, especially with new traffic on Homestead and Wolfe.
Cupertino is mostly on the South side of the freeway.
Cupertino gets all the tax benefits, Sunnyvale gets a heavy infrastructure load...

I used to live within walking distance of this location. Check out the house prices ($1.0M to $1.3M) and apartment prices ($2.2K - $3.2) close by that have good schools. This is a significant jump in the last year.

http://www.rental-living.com/Communities/The-Hamptons/Prices-And-Floorplans/

The residents of The Hamptons are also going to have their access along Pruneridge to Wolfe cut off as part of the development, they'll have to come and go via Tantau.

polpo

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
Campus 2 lies in the 94086 zip code

It's about 95% in 95014. A small portion of 94086 juts out into the campus. See http://maps.huge.info/zip.htm for yourself.

The residents of The Hamptons are also going to have their access along Pruneridge to Wolfe cut off as part of the development, they'll have to come and go via Tantau.

That portion of Pruneridge will be preserved as the entrance for The Hamptons. (It was also going to be an entrance to the Apple campus, but that has been moved slightly north to where one of the HP campus entrances is currently). Look at the site plans at http://www.cupertino.org/index.aspx?page=1107. There will be no access to The Hamptons from Tantau.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Maybe so, but the post raised a valid point. This is a vanity project by any definition of the term, and the cost is phenomenally high, especially for a building of its size. It is not out of bounds in the least for shareholders of a public company to question whether it is a responsible use of capital. Having nothing whatsoever to do with the share price, I happen to think it is not responsible. Or for all that money, sadly, not a high quality exercise in architecture and land use planning. It is a dubiously conceived monument to Steve.

Sure, as a publicly traded company, Apple needs to be held accountable for its enormous projects. They ARE trying to bring down the price tag, but I think there are benefits as well:
-attracting the top talent in the world, and keeping them inspired
-allowing for media events on-campus
-strengthening brand identity externally and internally, with an unmistakable HQ
-being an attraction for visitors
-Not to mention the day-to-day operational benefits for employees commuting, environmental footprint, etc.
-it will make use of a vacant building

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Sure, as a publicly traded company, Apple needs to be held accountable for its enormous projects. They ARE trying to bring down the price tag, but I think there are benefits as well:
-attracting the top talent in the world, and keeping them inspired
-allowing for media events on-campus
-strengthening brand identity externally and internally, with an unmistakable HQ
-being an attraction for visitors
-Not to mention the day-to-day operational benefits for employees commuting, environmental footprint, etc.
-it will make use of a vacant building

The price is so huge due to Steve's unusual demands on construction methods. Steve wanted his building to have the fit-and-finish of an Apple product, as if architecture and consumer products were one in the same thing. As a result, the per square foot costs ballooned to three times higher than comparable buildings. This is just plain nutty. You'd have to grasp for intangibles to see any value in the immensity of the costs.

Basically, this building will be invisible to anyone who doesn't work there or attend a meeting or media event. It will look totally cool to people flying over it. From the street, you will see trees. By design. So as a brand identity symbol, it fails pretty miserably. It works far better as a symbol of corporate excess. Sadly.

This kind of building increases commuting, as a rule. Apple even wanted to buy some adjacent apartments and tear them down too, but the owners wouldn't sell.

It doesn't make use of the vacant buildings on the property, it tears them down.

woodys115

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
That would be great if anyone wanted to live in the city....

The current campus plan is the most environmentally UNFRIENDLY option because it forces everyone to commute. If Apple were serious about the environment, they would build within the context of the city. Here is the link to the design that would actually be environmentally friendly.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/1681412/the-apple-city-that-could-have-been#1

This current plan is nothing more than greenwashing. The folks in Cupertino should wake up to reality.

That would be great if anyone wanted to live in the city....

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
The price is so huge due to Steve's unusual demands on construction methods. Steve wanted his building to have the fit-and-finish of an Apple product, as if architecture and consumer products were one in the same thing. As a result, the per square foot costs ballooned to three times higher than comparable buildings. This is just plain nutty. You'd have to grasp for intangibles to see any value in the immensity of the costs.

Basically, this building will be invisible to anyone who doesn't work there or attend a meeting or media event. It will look totally cool to people flying over it. From the street, you will see trees. By design. So as a brand identity symbol, it fails pretty miserably. It works far better as a symbol of corporate excess. Sadly.

This kind of building increases commuting, as a rule. Apple even wanted to buy some adjacent apartments and tear them down too, but the owners wouldn't sell.

It doesn't make use of the vacant buildings on the property, it tears them down.

No different than whats going on up the peninsula in the financial district in SF or any other downtown metro city for that matter..I personally can't afford emotionally to care one ounce..

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No different than whats going on up the peninsula in the financial district in SF or any other downtown metro city for that matter..I personally can't afford emotionally to care one ounce..

But you cared enough to post that you don't care. That makes sense.

It is different, in a number of ways. Not that you care enough to discuss it.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
But you cared enough to post that you don't care. That makes sense.

It is different, in a number of ways. Not that you care enough to discuss it.

Of course the details are different, but the core motives for such projects as this are what big companies typically do especially when they have the financial resources, this isn't new heck drive through Silicon Valley and take a look at the tech campuses and their high rises, as well as the new buildings that are up and coming in SF we see it all the time, its just what corps do.

Oh and this is just a discussion and I'm simply adding to it as I find the Apple project quite interesting however I don't care enough (at all actually) to get all emotional over it as some in this thread.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Of course the details are different, but the core motives for such projects as this are what big companies typically do especially when they have the financial resources, this isn't new heck drive through Silicon Valley and take a look at the tech campuses and their high rises, as well as the new buildings that are up and coming in SF we see it all the time, its just what corps do.

Oh and this is just a discussion and I'm simply adding to it as I find the Apple project quite interesting however I don't care enough (at all actually) to get all emotional over it as some in this thread.

I've seen this gambit before. Say you don't care but argue anyway. Describe what others say as being emotional, whereas your arguments, by elimination, are rational. Nice try, no sale.

I will simply reiterate my earlier point that the costs of this project have been driven to three times the normal per square foot costs of comparable construction. This happened due to Steve's extraordinary demands for fit and finish. This is by any objective meaning of the concept one of the most expensive corporate vanity projects ever. Either respond to the point I actually made, or do us both a favor and return to not caring mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.