Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
California
Color swapped my iPhone 5 let me know what you think. The lighting is bad sorry if more people request to see it ill retake them

Pic #2

Pic #3

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 638
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    823.4 KB · Views: 410
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    753.6 KB · Views: 352
Last edited by a moderator:

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
I'm usually not a fan color swaps on iPhones because most of the times they look jarring and completely out of place. But this looks quite sleek. Red and black were always sort of complementary colors and it looks pretty awesome here! Maybe make the red a tad darker though? Just my opinion.

SoLongAndroid

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
How does does the warranty work if you chemically changed the color of an iphone 5?

Sent from my iPod touch 5G using Tapatalk 2

You tell them that the sharp beveled edges of the iPhone cut your leg while in your pants pocket and that the red is actually blood stain. If they don't puke they will replace it right away.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
You tell them that the sharp beveled edges of the iPhone cut your leg while in your pants pocket and that the red is actually blood stain. If they don't puke they will replace it right away.

So it technically voids the warranty. How much did this process cost?

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
California
So it technically voids the warranty. How much did this process cost?

So I actually bought the housing already red. I've been taking iPhones apart for about 3 years. Took about and hour and thirty minutes for me to do it first time. Also the red housing cost $70 at tvc-mall and I got to keep my black housing if I need to change it back to get it warrentied.

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
California
Warranty voided. Put on a sticker next time.

If I needed something warrantied I have my black housing still so I can change it back to black to have it warrantied. So in red housing warranty void but when I swap it back to black Warranty not voided.:D

Also Yes I did it myself.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I really do not understand why people do this, although it looks nice a lot of folks put there phones in cases, and the other problem if you have to have your phone replaced by Apple, you will have wasted this money if Apple will even cover your modified device?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I really do not understand why people do this, although it looks nice a lot of folks put there phones in cases, and the other problem if you have to have your phone replaced by Apple, you will have wasted this money if Apple will even cover your modified device?

If he needs to take his phone back, he can swap the old case back on with as much (or as little) work as it took to donthenoriginal mod.

As to why people do it? I don't know. Same reason people modify their vehicles or really anything else rather than leaving it bone stock. It's a personality thing I suppose.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If I needed something warrantied I have my black housing still so I can change it back to black to have it warrantied. So in red housing warranty void but when I swap it back to black Warranty not voided.:D

A bit disappointed that u had to defend that one.

Would think anybody who customizes this way gives a hoot about warranty.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

Why don't you understand it? Do you ask this same question when people mod their car?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Why don't you understand it? Do you ask this same question when people mod their car?

Have you seen some of the horrendous (and pointless) spoilers people put on their cars? :eek:

I hear you though. While I wouldn't personally invest the money or effort into mods like this, I don't question why they're done. Obviously the owner thinks it looks nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.