Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
Hello,

I just got a brand new LaCie Blade Runner 4TB.

Trying to transfer files onto it from other smaller external drives and i get the "this item is in use" error message.

I have no other apps open when i'm doing this, just finder.

The copy then aborts and when I try to delete the file I get a -50 error.

I then have to eject the drive, re-connect it and delete the file and try again.

It doesn't do it with all files, but I have more than 3TB to transfer to it so this is a pain in the ass!

Should i take the drive back or is this an OS X bug?

HELP! :confused: :(

Nov 28, 2010
located
Have you checked Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format and Sharing & Permissions yet?
MR_SS_2011_04_GET-INFO_format_permissions.png

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
Have you checked Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format and Sharing & Permissions yet?

I have re-formatted the drive into MacOS extended journaled so that's not it.

Also, some files do copy so it can't be the lock.

There's an "Ignore ownership on this drive" that's checked, should i uncheck that?

Also, should i add the system as read/write too? now it's just me there and read only for staff and others

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have re-formatted the drive into MacOS extended journaled so that's not it.

Also, some files do copy so it can't be the lock.

There's an "Ignore ownership on this drive" that's checked, should i uncheck that?

Also, should i add the system as read/write too? now it's just me there and read only for staff and others

It can't hurt to add System to it but you won't be able to do it from the info panel.
I am not sure about this but I think the system already has R/W permissions on it because you already have those right, the system is higher on the ladder, again, I could be wrong here.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
It can't hurt to add System to it but you won't be able to do it from the info panel.
I am not sure about this but I think the system already has R/W permissions on it because you already have those right, the system is higher on the ladder, again, I could be wrong here.

i added "admin" to the read/write, couldn't add system.

also unchecked the ignore ownership checkbox and applied to enclosed items.

it managed to copy a file it couldn't before, i'm trying with the aperture library now that it wouldn't copy before, fingers crossed.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
i added "admin" to the read/write, couldn't add system.

also unchecked the ignore ownership checkbox and applied to enclosed items.

it managed to copy a file it couldn't before, i'm trying with the aperture library now that it wouldn't copy before, fingers crossed.

I just checked one of my drives, it has Admin in it, so I guess it will make a difference.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
ok, best i can figure it out is that the source and destination drive need to have the same permissions on them, so if one has admin and the other one doesn't, it won't copy

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
overall it seems to work ok but i've still got files that won't copy...

i ignored the last one cause i didn't care about copying it but i'm copying one at a time now and will inspect the offending file more closely.

any other thoughts, anyone??

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
overall it seems to work ok but i've still got files that won't copy...

i ignored the last one cause i didn't care about copying it but i'm copying one at a time now and will inspect the offending file more closely.

any other thoughts, anyone??

Ignore ownership as suggested might do the trick.

Silverlode

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013
resolution?

sk3pt1c,

Any resolution to this? I have the exact same problem with my LaCie Blade Runner. Even sent it in to them, they returned it saying the drive was working properly. I've seen this in the console, wonder if it might be related, but unsure how to fix:

kernel[0]: disk1s2: alignment error

So just wondering if you got your drive working.

Thanks.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
sk3pt1c,

Any resolution to this? I have the exact same problem with my LaCie Blade Runner. Even sent it in to them, they returned it saying the drive was working properly. I've seen this in the console, wonder if it might be related, but unsure how to fix:

kernel[0]: disk1s2: alignment error

So just wondering if you got your drive working.

Thanks.

Hey, i managed to copy all the files over little by little, making sure to mirror the permissions of source-destination folders. It's working OK now.
It has autoejected once and not let me copy a file once more but other than that, it's working fine.
Dunno if this helps you.
To be honest, i wish i could afford a Drobo :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.