Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kunia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Is there any logical reason to get the mac version of this card over the pc one?
I know I wouldn't have the boot screen with the PC version (got the gt120 for that:). It it really just that?
The difference in price is around 200$ (with taxes) - that's a lot.

I feel like I need to update my aging 5870. Other than photoshop/lightroom work, I want to get better FPS in Diablo 3 and WoW under OS X plus a needed boost in BF3 (under Win7 64bit).
Thx

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
in Windows the PC card will run at PCI-E 2.5gt/s, in OSX it will run at Full Speed 5.0gt/s

Personally I would save the $200 and get the PC version.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Save the $$$$$

Same here. I'm running two PC 680's and don't miss the boot screen. At some point someone will post a Mac 680 4GB bios and at that time I'll probably flash my cards. But I'm having no issues without the boot screen.

I hear the Mac 680's are in short supply which is a good thing. They're selling them faster than they expected. That probably means a 4GB Mac version is not far away.

kunia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
in Windows the PC card will run at PCI-E 2.5gt/s, in OSX it will run at Full Speed 5.0gt/s

Is there any noticeable performance hit when running the card at 2.5?
From what I understand I can flash the card for full 5gt/s support under win7

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Is there any noticeable performance hit when running the card at 2.5?
From what I understand I can flash the card for full 5gt/s support under win7
Read MVC's post here regarding the link speed differences between the Mac and PC version in OS X 10.8.3. If you are doing GPGPU work, the link speed difference may be important. For most games, on the other hand, there may not be noticeable performance difference. Just remember that if you flash the Mac rom to a PC card, you get the reference design performance, so there is no need to get an overclocked PC card for that purpose.

kunia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Read MVC's post here regarding the link speed differences between the Mac and PC version in OS X 10.8.3. If you are doing GPGPU work, the link speed difference may be important. For most games, on the other hand, there may not be noticeable performance difference. Just remember that if you flash the Mac rom to a PC card, you get the reference design performance, so there is no need to get an overclocked PC card for that purpose.

thanks...
I'm also debating if I should get the GTX670. From all the benchmarks I'm looking at 5% performance hit vs 680. there's at least 100 dollar diffidence. Right now I can get a MSI GTX670 2gb for 350$ + tax.

With the potential 700 series release this month, would the 670/680 price drop?

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I just got the 680 Mac edition to replace my 5870, and I can tell you it made a world of difference, especially in Windows playing games like Skyrim and Farcry 3. I can now run these games on Ultra settings at 2560x1600 resolution very smoothly.

I also play WoW (under OSX) and noticed an increased FPS there as well, I can get around 100fps with all settings maxed when I'm standing in Orgrimmar at 2560x1600.

A very much recommended upgrade over the 5870 imo.

kunia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
I just got the 680 Mac edition to replace my 5870, and I can tell you it made a world of difference, especially in Windows playing games like Skyrim and Farcry 3. I can now run these games on Ultra settings at 2560x1600 resolution very smoothly.

I also play WoW (under OSX) and noticed an increased FPS there as well, I can get around 100fps with all settings maxed when I'm standing in Orgrimmar at 2560x1600.

A very much recommended upgrade over the 5870 imo.

Thanks...
I think I'll get the 680, just the PC version

BConvery

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2009

This is exactly the information I am looking for. How much RAM do you have? What does the fps go down to while in a raid?

Thanks so much. I got a ATI 7950 and the performance was very dissappointing. Looking forward to this.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
This is exactly the information I am looking for. How much RAM do you have? What does the fps go down to while in a raid?

Thanks so much. I got a ATI 7950 and the performance was very dissappointing. Looking forward to this.

I have 32gb RAM. I haven't raided yet since getting the 680 so I can't really comment on that. My server is very populated though and Orgrimmar often has a ton of people in it (it's a RP server). One night there was a very large RP event in Orgrimmar with a couple hundred players present. With most of the players on my screen, my FPS was hovering around 40-60fps. On a typical night however (e.g., no huge RP event), I get around 100fps in Orgrimmar.

My normal Org framerates on the 5870 under the same conditions were around 50-60 fps (but that's with some settings decreased - I have everything set to max with the 680 now).

Hope it helps!

kunia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
I have 32gb RAM. I haven't raided yet since getting the 680 so I can't really comment on that. My server is very populated though and Orgrimmar often has a ton of people in it (it's a RP server). One night there was a very large RP event in Orgrimmar with a couple hundred players present. With most of the players on the screen, my FPS was hovering around 40-60fps. On a typical night however (e.g., no huge RP event), I get around 100fps in Orgrimmar. Hope it helps.

Did you install the card in slot 1 or 2?

kunia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Did you flash it yet?

Not yet. I'll do it tomorrow.
Just not sure if I should leave the GT120 in when flushing it (since its an nvidia card and might screw it up) and if I should do it through windows 7 64 bit or a boot CD. Kinda new to this.

I'd appreciate any tips :)

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011

What the? I tought PCs had more advanced gaming hardware, since Mac Pro is 3 years without updating, how is the PCIex on the MacPro faster then a current Pc motherboard?

Besides, since games are coded in Direcx and then ported to OPENGL, isnt gaming on Windows machine superior even with the same specs?

Im just trying to learn more, Im happy with my macmini

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Availability is an issue, depending on your timing and need. Most places are currently quoting 2-3 weeks before they'll have stock of the Mac version again.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
What the? I thought PCs had more advanced gaming hardware, since Mac Pro is 3 years without updating, how is the PCIex on the MacPro faster then a current Pc motherboard?
The quote you cited refers to the Windows performance under Boot Camp in a Mac Pro, not in a PC machine. Actually you should get PCIe 3.0 (8 GT/s) link speed from the latest PC motherboard.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Not yet. I'll do it tomorrow.
Just not sure if I should leave the GT120 in when flushing it (since its an nvidia card and might screw it up) and if I should do it through windows 7 64 bit or a boot CD. Kinda new to this.

I'd appreciate any tips :)

if you have windows 7 installed in boot camp then use boot camp to flash. I also would remove the GT120 and only have the 680 installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.