Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Hello,

I'm new to FCPX, but thought that I was doing well in working out how to put together a few clips, transitions, titles as I intended relatively quickly. The only problem I now have is my first title, which is a 'cutout' with the main clip playing behind, visible through the letters, should appear right at the beginning. However, the first frame of the video is just the first frame of the clip, then the title comes in on the second frame.

Anyone know how to correct this? I'm pulling my hair out as I need to sort this in the next day or so for a deadline.

David

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Move the start of the title back one frame? I think i've encountered this before, you'll have to compensate by starting the title one frame earlier so that on frame 2 of the title the visuals appear where they are supposed to on.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Thanks for the reply,

I couldn't work out how to move the title earlier, as it wouldn't let me stretch it before the beginning of the first video clip. In the end, dragging the beginning of the clip forward worked, but it seems like a bit of a kludge.

David

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
This should be a non issue, but if you really are encountering this glitch then you'll have to insert a black generator for the first frame to enable you to put the title back one frame before the start of the first video clip, OR if your video clip at the beginning of your project has a start point that is before the point where it starts in the video then simply go one frame behind where you wanted to start to put the generator over that. If the clip in your project starts exactly at frame one and you can't trim the beginning to reveal any more frames then you'll have to use a black generator like I said.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
This should be a non issue, but if you really are encountering this glitch then you'll have to insert a black generator for the first frame to enable you to put the title back one frame before the start of the first video clip, OR if your video clip at the beginning of your project has a start point that is before the point where it starts in the video then simply go one frame behind where you wanted to start to put the generator over that. If the clip in your project starts exactly at frame one and you can't trim the beginning to reveal any more frames then you'll have to use a black generator like I said.

Thanks for the reply - and thank you again for treating a complete FCPX newbie with some respect - one of the reasons why I keep coming back to these forums.

I'll have a look into the black frame generator you mentioned, sure to be useful in other future situations as well. Do you think this is a bug, as the title doesn't actually start at the first frame it is set to? I don't want to submit a bug report if I'm just being dense.

I have to say that, as a newcomer to the program, it seems like an excellent app and I don't quite understand what the fuss was about when it was first released.

David

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
@black frame generator - just use a gap (position your cursor at the first frame and hit cmd-w ) and make it only one frame long.

you can also avoid rendering that one frame if you just render out a range selection (go to the "real" first frame of your video, hit "i" then to the last frame, hit "o" - now if you go to "share" it only renders the selected range).

but often it's rather a good thing to have some black frames at the beginning or at the end of your video (e.g. some video players don't really start/end with the first/last frame, so transitions that start/end on your first/last frame get cut of in playback)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.