Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Stupid of them to say how she did it. Even more stupid that she's expelled. Terrible really.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
These "zero tolerance" policies are really "zero common sense" policies. There is no way she deserves to be charged with felonies and face expulsion.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
another step towards removing any self discovery in schools. Learn what they tech and ONLY what they teach. Sounds like another group of organizations I know. **cough**religion**cough**

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
Before I clicked on the link I was thinking ok now this is just ridiculous. Clicked on the link and saw it happend in Florida and now I understand. Here is my shocked face. :|

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
The student used various household items to make an explosive device, and she did it on purpose. Imagine the lawsuit against the school if anyone (students or employees) had been harmed by it. The school was in its full right to expel her for this.

As for the criminal charges, though, I hope she will get away with it.

Last edited:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
The student used different household items to make an explosive device, and she did it on purpose. Imagine the lawsuit against the school if anyone (students or employees) had been harmed by it. I The school was in its full right to expel her for this.

I agree

Very stupid on her part mixing chemicals that could cause an explosion on school grounds, knowing full well it would happen

However, common sense should come into play as her intention was not menacing. Felony charges are way excessive and essentially have screwed her for the rest of her life. Hope they get dropped, she just gets a STERN warning, and learns from this mistake.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I agree

Very stupid on her part mixing chemicals that could cause an explosion on school grounds, knowing full well it would happen

However, common sense should come into play as her intention was not menacing. Felony charges are way excessive and essentially have screwed her for the rest of her life. Hope they get dropped, she just gets a STERN warning, and learns from this mistake.

Agreed. I think she should be suspended from school for a couple of days, however, felony charges are just ridiculous.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
The title of this is very misleading. Science project, BS! Still, the punishment for this sort of thing should be a few days of suspension, not expulsion and criminal charges. Good luck to her.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
The principal and administrators here should be fired.

Clearly they are too stupid to be educating anyone.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
The title of this is very misleading. Science project, BS! Still, the punishment for this sort of thing should be a few days of suspension, not expulsion and criminal charges. Good luck to her.

I agree. doesn't sound like she has a record of bad behaviour so suspension and a few hours detention about safety in the lab would have been severe enough.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The student used various household items to make an explosive device, and she did it on purpose. Imagine the lawsuit against the school if anyone (students or employees) had been harmed by it. The school was in its full right to expel her for this.

Many years ago parents bought chemistry sets for their kids, with instructions and materials to build explosive devices. And kids built the explosive devices and exploded them, and nobody worried about it.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Many years ago parents bought chemistry sets for their kids, with instructions and materials to build explosive devices. And kids built the explosive devices and exploded them, and nobody worried about it.

That was before 9/11, and even before the Oklahoma bombings.

I remember those chemistry sets. I had one myself, and so did two of my closest friends. Lots of fun with that. Thanks for bringing back the memories :D

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
I read this morning that the DA withdrew criminal charges.

Somebody using a little common sense...

I like when people in those positions look at something that comes across their desk and are like "this is stupid". Good on the DA.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
typical overreaction.
some detention and maybe a day of suspension (maybe) should be more than enough for a student who has not caused any sort of issues before, not done any damage in the occasion and who clearly wasn't doing it in a malicious way (or she wouldn't have just stood there waiting to get caught).

it's ridiculous how little flexibility and common sense some people manifest as long as they have the opportunity to dish out some punishment.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Pales to what I did IN school.

However, in this day and age, with zero tolerance policies, she should have known better at age 16.

Good on the D.A. for not pressing charges.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Of note in the accompanying USA Today article:

Some commenters accused Glotfelty of a double standard, noting that three days after Wilmot was charged she declined to prosecute a 13-year-old boy who killed his 10-year-old brother with a BB gun. She said "it is our opinion that this case can only be seen as a tragic accident."

Emphasis mine.

We've seen this before: An innocent child killed by a gun, and its "a tragic accident."

That notwithstanding, the young woman who conducted this experiment deserved to be expelled. Her "experiment" wasn't part of her studies or classwork. If she really wanted to do this sort of thing, she could easily have done it at home or some other place away from school grounds. If she truly was interested in performing research or doing a science presentation, she most certainly could have done so under the supervision of her teachers.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
That was before 9/11, and even before the Oklahoma bombings.

If you're going to be that over-the-top, shouldn't you have said "that was before Hiroshima and Nagasaki."?

Followed immediately by: "OMG!1! WE're all going to DIE!!!"

And you'd be absolutely correct.

----------

another step towards removing any self discovery in schools. Learn what they tech and ONLY what they teach. Sounds like another group of organizations I know. **cough**religion**cough**

You should get that cough checked. Maybe go to a faith healer.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
Tried praying away the cough but it didnt work. Did the science way and got me some tussin!

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
If you're going to be that over-the-top, shouldn't you have said "that was before Hiroshima and Nagasaki."?

Followed immediately by: "OMG!1! WE're all going to DIE!!!"

And you'd be absolutely correct.
The sound of "ka-boom" has a stronger potential for inducing panic after a traumatic incident involving explosions and loss of lives (I doubt that atomic bombings in Japan would have such an effect in the US, though). Sure, I might still have been over the top, so if you have a more moderate explanation for what caused the criminal charges ("discharging an explosive device") in the first place, then I would like to hear it.

Last edited:

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
The sound of "ka-boom" has a stronger potential for inducing panic after a traumatic incident involving explosions and loss of lives (I doubt that atomic bombings in Japan would have such an effect in the US, though). Sure, I might still have been over the top, so if you have a more moderate explanation for what caused the criminal charges ("discharging an explosive device") in the first place, then I would like to hear it.

First of all, most Americans have no sense of history. If it happened more than five years ago, it's irrelevant to their lives. Hence other than those directly impacted by the attacks in New York and DC, nobody is hitting the dirt when a firecracker goes off. So I doubt the people in that school were so traumatized that they'd panic at the sound of firecracker-like "pop".

So why did the principal expel the girl? Like they say: Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. And those who can't teach become principals.

Haven't you seen the news accounts of principals disciplining kids for making gun shapes with their fingers?! For bringing toy soldiers to class? For drawing pictures of guns (OK, that one's Canada)?

http://patterico.com/2013/03/12/law...-making-his-pop-tart-into-the-shape-of-a-gun/

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/...uspended-after-playing-with-imaginary-weapon/

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarne...tes-cupcakes-decorated-with-toy-soldiers.html

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...hool_after_daughter_draws_picture_of_gun.html

Our education system has been broken for years and one of the big reasons is unions that coddle mediocrity. Principal Ron Pritchard is a shining example of that axiom.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
I understand school disciplinary action, but it appears in this case that they did NO research into what happened and just expelled her. Thats where the problem lies. Find out what happened first and the school didnt even seem to do that. They just said, oh you did it, lets call the cops cause its obvious you were trying to create a nuke. blah blah blah. Thats the major ******** right there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.