Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
About time but I'd still rather get Fusion than 256SSD for the same price, 4x times the storage an 90% of the performance.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Can't believe the standard drive is 5400RPM. What a joke.

I agree but I'm sure there's an army of obedient drones willing to say that saving £10 or so on the cost of a HDD is worth it to Apple because "profit margins blah blah..." or some other deluded quip.

They offer no trade in for the cost of "Standard" configs, just a huge mark up on what they should cost.

There's the 1Tb 7200 travelstar available now for an insignificant sum above the cost of the 1Tb offering in their Mac Mini/Macbook lines. (Which itself should be standard for the system price).

SSDs don't cost £300+ compared with the HDDs they're replacing.

Apple should offer the fastest available HDDs as standard and not charge more than market value for the SSDs (and can the idea of basing that amount of what people are allegedly "willing to pay", this is basic component swapping at the pre-customer level).

Why do these people get so bent out of shape about the so called Apple Tax?
You don't like it, don't buy it.

If Apple allowed other companies to sell systems running Mac OS X or allowed user assembled systems, you'd have an argument there but to use their OS, you have to buy their hardware. Hardware at a component level has standardised and easily comparable costs. Apple don't trade a £50 HDD for a £150 SSD and pass on the actual price difference - a negligable assembly fee, they keep the HDD and charge a joke of an amount to "upgrade".

Nothing SSD should be under a 256Gb with no change in price.

Nothing HDD should be under a 750Gb 7200rpm with no change in price.

They shouldn't charge a small fortune for £80 worth of SSD added to a bog standard HDD in a software based Fusion array.

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
First of all, Apple does not use one model/manufacturer. There are at least 2. Second of all, the 830 Runs about $150 retail, so if you think Apple pays more than $135, you have got to be kidding. Thirdly, I have no intention of looking up prices for you.

You can currently buy a Crucial M500 in 960GB model for $599 so whatever your point was, I am not buying it. :)

As far as I'm aware Apple is only using one manufacturer for the blade and 768GB SSDs in the new iMacs. Samsung.

I'm NOT saying you're incorrect, in the general scheme of thing. I'm just saying you can't buy a 256GB Samsung 830 or equivalent (NAND type) for $135.

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I could have predicted this would happen. Improvements are always made the day *after* I get something from Apple. This time I got (yesterday) a 27" i7 with fusion, even tho I really wanted all ssd. :confused:

Return it and re-order a new one. I believe you have 2 weeks to do so penalty free.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I would be really pissed...

If I bought a 2012 iMac before these customization options were introduced. They really should have waited to launch these with all of these options at the get-go.

I agree with everyone whose said the prices of the customization need to come down significantly.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
The moment I've been waiting for. All flash in the 21.5 iMac instead of a 1TB 5400 RPM. I can now purchase my new iMac. 256GB for $300 seems reasonable, but frankly the Fusion should be standard OR a 128GB SSD.

Reasonable? Are you crazy?

Maybe if it were in addition to the regular hard drive..... not in place of.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I think Apple doesn't care very much about desktops now as it's only a small fraction of its Mac market which is only a small fraction of Apple's revenue.

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
Wait for it - you'll be told that 5400 RPM is "good enough" and why the Mac is still better than a PC even with an antiquated, slow HD that costs stupid-high amounts of money.

For example, the iMac is thin! Take THAT, Microsoft Fanboys!!

Nope. The 5400 rpm drive is faster than the old 7200 rpm. How do you feel now that you got owned?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Whatever RPM it has, a harddisk drive is still significantly slower than an SSD. If Apple can ship an SSD as standard in the MBA in 2011 with a normal price, they can do it with today's iMac.

HardRain

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
The 512GB is $725 here in Aus. You Americans have got it cheap! :)

----------

Even more so with a company that is so much about the future. 5400RPM is far more out dated then an optical drive.

Yes, but just remember it's based on their future, not ours :rolleyes:

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
That's what most people do. Macs represent a tiny percentage of computer sales.

Not exactly sure what your source is for this, but I'd definitely do some more research if I were you.

If you read(!) this article...

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/14/apple-maintains-third-place-in-u-s-pc-sales-for-4q-2012/

...you will see that "buying a Dell" is NOT "what most people do".
In fact they are becoming less and less. And probably Lenovo should just call it quits as their numbers are even tinier than tinier.

As our local honey beekeeper says "it's all about the numbers, stupid".

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
Yep. If people stop buying Apple will change behavior.

As long as Apple still makes the highest quality computers, which they do by FAR at the moment, don't see that happening any time soon. Imagine that.... seems people want good computers, not cheap ones.

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
Those prices are laughable, you can get a Crucial M500 960GB for $600 the 480GB is $380 the 240GB is $200, only the clueless 'average consumer' would pay for that 'deal'.

LOL. All of yall compaining about Apple's "Apple tax" .... you're acting 'leet, you think you're "power users" and know-it-alls.

So you buy a third-party SSD for less (which is about 10x more massive than the iMac's SSD). What are you going put it in?

Your generic full-tower with "custom" everything (which is actually just a cluster of commoditized PC parts) that has 4 fans, puts out about 150W of heat, is noisy, looks like a cardboard box, has 10 OPEN drive bays, memory slots, and expansion slots, and has neon lights? All feeding a 27" Hanns-G monitor. LMAO

Yeah great purchase, what a bargain! You saved loads. Now try selling it. The resale price is what speaks to the real value of your gaming rig.

Attachments

• f4e25dd5_IMG_0662.jpeg
    f4e25dd5_IMG_0662.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 77
  • imac27inch_35440705_01_1_620x433.jpg
    imac27inch_35440705_01_1_620x433.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 60

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....I couldn't go back to a standard hd now, even a fusion drive.

Agreed, after 'tasting' SSD's, there's no going back to HDD's. I've got 512GB flash in our maxed-out 13" Air, and it's amazingly fast for day-to-day computing.

HDD's are still a great economical alternative for sequential files however, where SSD's wouldn't give you much of a speed advantage.

Last edited:

blabliblu

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2013
The moment I've been waiting for. All flash in the 21.5 iMac instead of a 1TB 5400 RPM. I can now purchase my new iMac. 256GB for $300 seems reasonable, but frankly the Fusion should be standard OR a 128GB SSD.

Community manager spotted.

This guy works for Apple and is full of *****.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
I was gonna buy the new imac back when they were released,but the non ssd option in the 21.5" was a deal breaker...so i waited and waited and finally got tired and bought a nice used mint 2.4GHz macbook (black) and put in my own ssd.The funny thing is my cost total was $300 ($200 for macbook---yes got sweet deal,and $100 for 128 samsung 840 ssd)

So apple,when you build a nice 21.5" Imac that doesn't need a tear down to get at the ram and harddrive,and comes with ssd options that aren't stupid $...give me a shout...till then Ill continue using this used macbook that has already undergone it's over priced rip off,and has simple easy access to ram and harddrive!

durant35

macrumors member
May 2, 2013
Not sure who would pay Apple for this when you could pay a place like MacMall half the price for the same thing.

Boske

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2011
Flash Storage Options to iMac

Com' on guys these are normal prices for a company with the stature of firms like Apple. "Normal" calculations are about 6 times the purchase price of the parts.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
LOL. All of yall compaining about Apple's "Apple tax" .... you're acting 'leet, you think you're "power users" and know-it-alls.

So you buy a third-party SSD for less (which is about 10x more massive than the iMac's SSD). What are you going put it in?

Your generic full-tower with "custom" everything (which is actually just a cluster of commoditized PC parts) that has 4 fans, puts out about 150W of heat, is noisy, looks like a cardboard box, has 10 OPEN drive bays, memory slots, and expansion slots, and has neon lights? All feeding a 27" Hanns-G monitor. LMAO

Yeah great purchase, what a bargain! You saved loads. Now try selling it. The resale price is what speaks to the real value of your gaming rig.

You can always bash something and praise the other thing like crazy. Nothing is perfect, and so does iMac.

If I want to bash iMac, I could do it easily too, you know? Owning something like an iMac is like having a sexy computer, but no matter what, you're risking all your eggs in one basket.
A generic cardboard computer tower is easier to maintain, also cheaper to fix and upgrade. And in my experience, PC components could come with better support so that you don't care too much if it devaluates quickly.

For example: I could get 27" Dell U2713HM display (it's 27" and 2560x1440 too) for $700 and it already come with 3 years warranty. No AppleCare needed. While it's made of plastic and might not as sexy as an iMac or Apple Thunderbolt Display, it works great with both Mac and PCs (ironic, huh?) and having multiple inputs is a breeze.

One simple thing breaks inside .. and ...

Mac+vs+PC.+Friend+me_2c40f7_3487505.jpg

The ugly cardboard desktop survives ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.